• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal, AMC Theatres Forge Historic Deal Allowing Theatrical Releases to Debut on Premium VOD Early (Variety)

Universal Pictures and AMC Theatres have put aside a bitter feud and signed a multi-year agreement that will allow the studio’s films to premiere on premium video on-demand within three weeks of their theatrical debuts.

The pact, sure to send shockwaves throughout the exhibition industry, has the potential to reshape the ways that movies are marketed and distributed. Rival studios are likely to begin pushing for exhibitors to grant them more flexibility when it comes to determining when and how their theatrical releases can make their way onto home entertainment platforms.

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed. However, in a statement, AMC’s CEO Adam Aron said the company will “share in these new revenue streams,” which means that it will get a cut of any money made on these digital rentals. Universal only has the ability to put its movies on premium on-demand, meaning the rentals that go for roughly $20 a pop. It cannot sell films or rent them for lower on-demand fees, in the $3 to $6 range, until three months after they debut in cinemas.
Variety

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not sure why universal needs an agreement just to do what they want with their own films but ok

Their own legal contracts aside, I think the concept of Studio-Distributor separation goes back to 20th century trust busting.

Obviously Universal isn't trying to open its own theatre. But when theatres are no longer the only practical option to reach the consumer (and nowadays are even NOT an option given the virus), it opens up an interesting conversation.

SegaShack

How weird, so AMC gets a cut of Universal's money? What about the other theater chains? Why are theater chains even involved?

Can kodak get some money everytime someone takes a digitial picture?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I don’t really give a shit about going to theaters even pre COVID...with a kid and a good home theater setup it’s just not worth the hassle/price. $20 seems alright to stay at home, wait until bedtime without paying through the nose for snacks and a sitter and maybe have a shot at the popcorn trick someday...

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I don’t really give a shit about going to theaters even pre COVID...with a kid and a good home theater setup it’s just not worth the hassle/price. $20 seems alright to stay at home, wait until bedtime without paying through the nose for snacks and a sitter and maybe have a shot at the popcorn trick someday...

What's the popcorn trick?

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Not sure why universal needs an agreement just to do what they want with their own films but ok

Amc is one of the biggest distributors of motion pictures and help studios make bank in the long run. Studios aren't allowed to own movie theatres so they still need each other and can't cut them out.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It really does look like it's going to be a major possibility to not have giant gaps between theater debuts and home video, when this all ends.

I really don't know how that's going to work out for them, but for us, it sounds fantastic.

sol_bad

This is good for the people that hate going to the movies, they get access to newer movies at a faster rate. I really highly doubt that movies like Fast and the Furious or Jurassic World are going to follow that model though. If Universal will make more money at the cinemas they are not going to release billion dollar franchises at home prematurely . Just like there are people who are happy to pay a $20 rental there are just as many other people who will say "fuck off" to an eye gouging $20 home rental fee. I'm happy to pay $20 or more at the cinemas because I'm renting their physical space, a chair, their screen and their sound, but at home I am not renting shit from them except for the film and $6 is the maximum I'll pay for a rental. That has been the standard price for 30+ years for a new release.

As for why the cinemas need to get involved. Universal are not going to make a billion dollars with VOD no matter how you cut it. When you go to the cinemas it's $10-$25 per person, on VOD it's $20 for 1-20 people, however many you want to invite over. Movie companies are losing anywhere from 50% to 200% or more per VOD rental. They make the majority of money at the cinemas so of course they need to play nice with the businesses that play their movies. It's got nothing to do with "mafia business" and everything to do with making sure both sides of the coin get a fair deal.

Reallink

This seems foolish on AMC's part. It's no doubt a limited time deal and Universal is all but assuredly only offering a pittance percentage. This will generate fractional revenue compared to what they'd get with an actual family of butts in their seats buying 2000% markup concessions, and it's saving them nothing on sunk overhead costs. Obviously the studios can only pay 1 chain, and the chains will now be competing with each other for similar deals with the remaining studios. The theater industry's only bargaining chip was to band together and just flat out refuse to carry films (or entire studios) that sell these day and date $20 rentals. I'm no fan of theaters (maybe see 2 movies a year), but I'm never going to pay $20 for a 24 hour rental either. If I am paying out the ass to see a new release, it would be in a premium format theater (IMAX, Dolby Cinema, Etc).

Last edited:

Kenpachii

How do you propose the studios make their money back?

Stop spending 300m for a fucking movie because u need to cramp it full with 50m actors and 200m cgi.

Sorry but has the quality increased from today's movies over past movies that spending only a fraction of that budget? not really. U want to spend 300m for a movie to be created, then start a premium streaming service where people can buy access towards those movies early and sell it for even double the ticket price and see how they care for it, they won't because they know nobody will care.

Going to the cinema was fun when internet and digital mediums weren't a thing or just upcoming because it was the only way to see something half decent, its utterly and utterly outdated concept wise now.

Just look at the cost.

20 euro ticket
22,50 euro parking
10 euro's worth of shit food and drinks.
Spend 5 hours of your time.

that's 50 euro's just to watch a movie u don't even know if u like and u gotta deal with this:

- Noise, other people, shitty chairs, shit food and expensive, can't pauze, insane loud noise to the point u never wanna sit anywhere but the middle and that shit is always taken.

And now with corona, its entirely a no go for anybody with half a brain.

With disney they should just get a disney ++ subscription that adds new movies towards it and then disney+ could simple give those movies after 4 months being on ++ added towards it.

Mihos

Gold Member
I would do it for some movies and just have people over to watch on my projector.

But others, like marvel, I would still like to see with a crowd.

They started haveing Manga and other niche viewing parties on Saturday mornings at a few theaters here, and they were a huge success before the shutdown.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Stop spending 300m for a fucking movie because u need to cramp it full with 50m actors and 200m cgi.

Sorry but has the quality increased from today's movies over past movies that spending only a fraction of that budget? not really. U want to spend 300m for a movie to be created, then start a premium streaming service where people can buy access towards those movies early and sell it for even double the ticket price and see how they care for it, they won't because they know nobody will care.

Going to the cinema was fun when internet and digital mediums weren't a thing or just upcoming because it was the only way to see something half decent, its utterly and utterly outdated concept wise now.

Just look at the cost.

20 euro ticket
22,50 euro parking
10 euro's worth of shit food and drinks.
Spend 5 hours of your time.

that's 50 euro's just to watch a movie u don't even know if u like and u gotta deal with this:

- Noise, other people, shitty chairs, shit food and expensive, can't pauze, insane loud noise to the point u never wanna sit anywhere but the middle and that shit is always taken.

And now with corona, its entirely a no go for anybody with half a brain.

With disney they should just get a disney ++ subscription that adds new movies towards it and then disney+ could simple give those movies after 4 months being on ++ added towards it.

Oh
So you don't care about big Hollywood blockbusters and you don't support that side of the industry? You only watch things on Netflix so barely even support the industry as a whole to begin with. You say you hate going to the cinemas but also mention that you loved it prior to the internet boom. The cinema experience hasn't changed, if anything it's improved with sound and audio quality. :)
Why should people be forced to watch these big blockbuster films at home if they love watching it at the cinemas?

You say to release expensive movies on a premium VOD service? You mean a monthly subscription service? I just explained in an earlier post that studios won't make their money back with $20 rentals because they lose a lot of revenue that way compared to $20 per ticket. If people are paying $20-$80 a month for a premium VOD service they would lose even more money and have absolutely no chance of making their money back.

supernova8

Banned

Well the movie companies want to have their cake and eat it IMO. If they could have their own way, they'd have their movies out in cinemas AND VOD at the same time but obviously cinemas don't want this. As far as I understand it they don't really make that much money from the films themselves, it's the food and drink where they make a killing. Fewer people means less food and drink sold - less revenue. That's why they are super strict about bringing your own food/drink (to the point of even doing bag checks).

Tesseract

Banned
the industry was due for correction

the game has changed and it's time to adapt so that more reasonable budgets befitting greater varieties of content can sustain for the longer haul

Top Bottom