• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament 2004 20 Years Later: An LGR Retrospective

darrylgorn

Unreal Tournament 99 > Quake 3
arnold-wrong.gif

ScHlAuChi

I own both games as big box copies and played both back then :)
Quake 3A´s movement was abit better than UT´s, but it was inferior in every other category:
- Game Modes (UT had more variety & mutators)
- Maps (had alot more good ones compared to only a few on Q3A)
- Weapons (UT had more weapons and altfire modes)
- Music (UT is miles ahead compared to Q3´s tracks who all sound the same and are pretty forgettable.)
- Mods (UT had a gigantic modscene compared to Q3)

Cant deny the facts ;)

darrylgorn

I own both games as big box copies and played both back then :)
Quake 3A´s movement was abit better than UT´s, but it was inferior in every other category:
- Game Modes (UT had more variety & mutators)
- Maps (had alot more good ones compared to only a few on Q3A)
- Weapons (UT had more weapons and altfire modes)
- Music (UT is miles ahead compared to Q3´s tracks who all sound the same and are pretty forgettable.)
- Mods (UT had a gigantic modscene compared to Q3)

Cant deny the facts ;)

Mad Max Reaction GIF

GermanZepp

ohh i miss a good arena shotter. Lot's of fun with Unreal 99/04 and Quake III. Once in a while i put the soundtrack on youtube

loved ut99
was really excited for ut2004
even played a couple leaked alphas.

ut2004 killed my excitement for the series.
felt cartoony and loose.

and of course ut99>quake3
absolutely no competition

Neon Xenon

UT2K4: ECE was one of the very first games I played on my first new PC, and I have a lot of fond memories of that. Both that and UT99 were really my (re)introduction to arena shooters, but also new PC hardware, now that I think about it. A Voodoo3 for UT99 and a whole new PC for UT2K4. I'll still pull out either game every now and then. I played UT2K4 last night, in fact.

Peak of the series? I think so. Definitely feels like the most refined, and I say this as someone who put a LOT of time into UT99 way back when. There's so much on offer

Now, if only Epic Games would stop being shitters and put ALL of the Unreal games back on digital storefronts where they belong. I'm happy I got UT99 and UT2K4 from GOG when I did, but FUCK Epic Games for pulling those games off GOG and Steam. In the meantime, there's always the high seas. 🏴‍☠️

nikos

UT99 is the best FPS ever. Perhaps the best multiplayer game ever for me.

Instagib LMS > *

UT2K4 was great as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom