• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VIZ Media announces Splatoon Manga debuting in North America in late 2017

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/855527824056356866

VIZ Media‏Verified account @VIZMedia 6m6 minutes ago

Announcement: SPLATOON, the manga series inspired by the hit Nintendo game makes it's debut late 2017! Join the Turf War!🦑

C99yBT8XkAESLMg.jpg

Jintor

before ya'll get too excited please be aware this is basically a kids gag manga and not anything with a real storyline or substance

it's still okay tho

Reki

I'm not so sure what to think... "Finally!"?

before ya'll get too excited please be aware this is basically a kids gag manga and not anything with a real storyline or substance

it's still okay tho

Oh, ok. At least we have the artbook.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Honobono no Ika 4-koma next, please.

it's still okay tho
Inklings are so cute I don't need substance.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

it's still okay tho

Implying manga / anime fans will be deterred by the intended audience being children.

Anyone know who the author (mangaka) is? I wanted the Squid Girl author to do some more Splatoon love. At least one chapter in Squid Girl would have been fine.

this is cool too I guess.

For a few glorious moments I thought Nintendo had either gone insane or not realised who they were partnering with, and were making a Splatoon comic with the British Viz comic..

I'm to say the least, very disappointed. I mean the Fat Slags as Callie and Marie practically writes itself...

JB2448

Using the wrong form of "its" in the announcement tweet really makes me confident that this release won't be laden with typos.

Ugh.

I read the original Splatoon oneshot this guy did, and it was dreadful. Your standard "idiot boy protagonist getting his ass kicked by the female lead for doing indecent/stupid things" type of gags.

For a game that was marketed with the Inkling Girl front-and-center, it really irks me that A) She isn't the main character and B) She's being portrayed as morally and intellectually superior to the dopey boys because that's just the shonen manga template for "the girl character."

I'll give it a chance, but I really don't expect anything that will live up to the source material.

Example:

Top Bottom