• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron Defender of the Universe by THQ (XBLA/PSN $10 Oct)

markatisu

I looked and did not see anything, more details to come this week at SDCC

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/118/1182385p1.html#.TiSPdFVljC0.tweet

Voltron was an anime series starring the titular giant robot that originally aired in the mid-'80s. The full robot is actually made up of five mechanical Lion vehicles piloted by the Voltron Force. When the young pilots combined their forces to create the mighty Voltron they would defend the universe from the evil King Zarkon of Planet Doom.

The game will include clips from the animated series and recreate some big moments that fans should recognize like the discovery of the lions and the first formation of Voltron. It's described as an action adventure game.

Up to five players can team up as the Voltron Force online, or two players can cooperate offline (there will also be single-player gameplay). Each Lion has its own strengths, resistances, and elemental attacks. When formed as Voltron, players will have to work together to wield his enormous sword.

Voltron: Defender of the Universe will set you back $10. Look for it Tuesday, October 25 on PlayStation Network and the following day on Xbox Live Arcade. It's being developed by Behaviour Interactive, the team behind the recent Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime and Naughty Bear.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0hy_--RJFkw
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/07/18/voltron-the-game-trailer?objectid=100507

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Game looks kinda boring. I don't understand what the other 4 players would do in co-op. Watch you play the game?

ultron87

If the 5-player mode requires each person to control 1 limb of Voltron this will be the greatest co-op experience of all time.

It'd be Robot Alchemic Drive with friends.

Was I the only person that enjoyed RAD?

ultron87 said:
If the 5-player mode requires each person to control 1 limb of Voltron this will be the greatest co-op experience of all time.

It'd be Robot Alchemic Drive with friends.

Was I the only person that enjoyed RAD?
Definitely not. It's got a cult following.

Beth Cyra

Not going to lie, that looked god awful. The Space shooter part wasn't bad but anytime it showed Voltron combined it looked like complete trash.

Every mission had better be a challenge to wring the highest score from the risk/reward system based on how long you wait to form Voltron and then win every time.

I only had the black lion as a kid :(

Sure he was the coolest but I wanted the whole set!

That hole in my childhood will finally be filled with a subpar $10 downloadable game. The circle of life :)

alphaNoid

Banned
Is this a high school project?
KuGsj.gif

ultron87 said:
There was a 4-player Action JRPG on PS1 which required early on to use a raft, with each player paddling the way they wanted to. We never reached the first cave.

edit: found it, that was Blaze and Blade.

Awww, Voltron!
I want Vultus 5 too!

I've always wondered, in the US the invasion of Mecha Animes did ever occured as we had in Europe?

I hate when they stick annotation links on the video's edges for the whole length of the trailer.

Part of the trailer sort of reminds me of Ikari Warriors, Commando, Gunsmoke, that sort of thing. The on-foot vertical shooters.

Amagon

Voltron game?!?! I'll give the demo a shot but not expecting anything special. You know, it'd be cool if they make it as a bullet hell type of game. I can see that happening.

_dementia said:
Definitely not. It's got a cult following.
This game is gawd!!!! Needs a proper sequel or remake. Mechanics were crap but sooo much fun.
Satchel said:
I hate my mum for throwing out my Voltron set of toys.

Fuck. :(
Sorry to hear bout your loss.

Matt_C

Obligatory PBF comic

PBF186Guntron.png

As for the game, it could be a neat vertical shmup with MMPR Genesis era beat em up for boss battles. Hope it is popular on XBL.

legbone

man, i have not heard some of those sound effects in close to 30 years. really triggers the old nostalgia. i saw a shootemup, running as a cat, and kicking a giant critter in the nuts. pretty much three of my favorite things!

markatisu

It is what it is , a $10 cash in to promote the new toy line and show. I am looking forward to the Lion parts, those look like they could be fun.

I did lol at the Voltron parts that look like late PSX style, they surely could have done cel-shaded or something to give it a animated look. Not entirely sure how the robot is supposed to work, I mean is it real time or do you just beat the robeast up and then a animatic goes

Oh well, at least they are not trying to charge $20-$50 at retail like most licensed projects

legbone

PepsimanVsJoe said:
From the guys behind Sanctum of Slime and Naughty Bear...

This is not going to turn out well.

oh shit. just realized this. you are right. unfortunately this one may be doomed. sanctum of slime was utter shit. i have a high tolerance for mediocrity (i loved WET) but that game blew.

Kuroyume said:
Best part of the trailer are the anime clips... Game looks terrible.

Should have been first post. It looks like one of those technical college commercials where the guys have to tighten up the graphics on level 3. Way more amateur hour than i expected from THQ.

Who are they possible trying to market this to? Anyone old enough to like Voltron won't put up with the mediocre graphics, and kids nowadays who are a lot less discerning dont even know what Voltron is. This is the definition of bomba.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Horrifying.
The robot form scenes look like something out of amateur XBLIG hell.
And this is to cost up to 10x as much?

markatisu

Onion_Relish said:
Who are they possible trying to market this to? Anyone old enough to like Voltron won't put up with the mediocre graphics, and kids nowadays who are a lot less discerning dont even know what Voltron is. This is the definition of bomba.

Most likely the fans of Voltron Force on Nickelodeon (which broke the record for a shows premiere on Nicktoons), if you have seen the new show with its subpar animation you would not be surprised.

OnPoint

This looks terrible... I'd say it needs more work but if they're showing it now there isn't much time left before it comes out

God damn it

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Looks like the cartoon is way better looking.

Ronabo

I'm 37 and I was a huge Voltron fan. I haven't tried the demo, but plan too. If it plays were and has music from the show I may bite on it.

Ryan_IGN

I played the first chunk of this. The meat of the gameplay -- the top-down-view, twin-stick shooter segments that put you in control of one of the Voltron Lions -- is pretty fun. But the boss levels are QTE-filled messes, particularly when you're playing co-op.

Great fan service, though, as it uses actual footage from the show and, as that review linked notes, it says, "Voltron will be back after these messages" when you pause the game and "We now return to Voltron" when you unpause it.

Cth

I remember playing a DS version of Voltron that looked similar..

Is this one like that except it has twin stick shooter gameplay?

Top Bottom