• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Wait and binge" or "watch every week" (tv shows, anime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejay

Banned
I wait for whole shows to end before I binge sometimes. I've watched 2 seasons of Game of Thrones, but I'm waiting for it to end before watching it all.

Jacknapes

Depends on the show. I'm watching The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime, that show is out weekly. I find it's nice to have a routine as such, but as it's on catch-up i don't mind if i miss out when it's released.

With Netflix shows like Orange is the New Black, which releases the entire season at once, i binge watch. But not until 6 months later as i don't fancy watching it at release, and having to wait a year for the next.

I usually prefer to wait weekly, but if it's exclusive on Netflix I'd watch one or two episodes a day. I've been watching Celia for the past month on Netflix and I don't see how anyone could binge that. The 1st season is 80 episodes.

When watching a show I haven't watched before, I'll limit myself to 1 episode a day, maybe two. Did that watching The Wire for the first time and when I started watching Mad Men (the first 3 seasons). You're not waiting a week per episode and you have time to let events settle, best of both worlds.

If I care enough about a show while it's currently on, I'm watching that every week.

SkyOdin

I watch stuff weekly most of the time. It is easier to keep going with something, and I enjoy the anticipation. Binge watching a series takes a large chunk of time all at once. I'd rather spend a few hours a week watching several things then burn a whole weekend binge-watching a single show.

Wark

I used to watch every week whenever a new episode of something came on. Now, with my work schedule all over the place, I usually wait until at least a couple episodes are out and then binge though. If I have the time, I found that binging a whole season or television show is my favorite.

Coolluck

Depends on the show. I like to be a part of the conversation with shows like Game of Thrones or Westworld. Sitcoms can be saved for the whole season. Others I'll watch 3 or 4 and catch up and then forget about for 8 weeks and repeat.

Nielm

Watch every week, I like participating in the discussions/the hype train (like GoT for example.)

I don't like spoilers either.

duckroll

I watch certain things weekly if I have people to talk about it regularly. Currently the one series I have been consistently watching weekly is Gundam IBO. It's fun to talk about possible directions of the show, especially with regards to the robots and stuff because most people who watch it are also gunpla fans so we're excited about what kits could be coming out and so on.

Otherwise I've found that I much prefer having the entire series before watching something. It's not just about binge, it's just easier for time management. If I have all 13 episodes of a show, I don't have to care about when another one is coming out. I could watch 1 episode a day, or 2 a day, or watch 4 in a row now, and finish it next weekend, etc. There's no concern about production delays or whatever either. Plus, it also helps me to pick up series based on impressions from people who have watched the whole thing.

Magwik

Banned
I think every week is a much better approach if you have a place like GAF communities to discuss each weeks episode during and after it airs. If everyone binge watched a show most of the discussion would focus on the ending.

solomon

I wait and binge, with the exception of game of thrones. But I've run into a major problem with this, being the back log has gotten out of control.

I prefer to watch weekly. If I give a shit about it, I want to see it immediately. If I don't, I might binge it (damn you new kids and your binge back in my day it was marathon!), but it's more likely I'll skip it altogether.

Seeing a mass of old and unwatched episodes in front of me isn't that exciting to me anymore.

I have to watch weekly. I watch too many shows and if I wait too long I would have an impossible backlog. I'm on an endless treadmill now. I enjoy when shows are canceled so the load is lighter.(though I am always adding to it)

Even right now I have backlogged Sherlock and Taboo and a handful of recent Netflix shows because I decided to finally watch all of Person of Interest over the winter. But next week is the deluge of returning shows so it's good I'm on the final four PoI!

eggandI

Banned
Used to always binge but recently I started watching stuff weekly because it's more fun to join in on the conversation when it's on-going.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Binge, anime sucks at endings, 9/10 will never have a proper conclusion to the story. I really dislike following a show every week religiously just to find out the show is an advertisement for the visual novel/manga. Even if you go to the manga/novel for the continuation, you will come into sad realization that the source material will take at least 4 years to have an ending.

It is a lot better to wait for the season to end, then cherry pick the proper show to binge. If you need some filler in between season just watch those slice-of-life or comedy show where the story never matter.

I always wait until the show is finished, at least the current season. I used to follow them and watch every week when I was still a student, but now I can't do that anymore. I prefer to watch them finished and watch on my pace. Sometimes I can only watch 1 episode, sometimes I can watch 3-5 episodes in one sitting.

I'm good at avoiding spoilers anyway. For example, after all these years I still haven' watched Game of Thrones and I still know nothing about it except that there are nudity and some characters dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom