• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Ratchet and Clank 2016 REALLY that bad?

kyussman

Coming after the major PS3 games Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time it felt meh......didn't need a remake anyway,should have just made a new game.

Paasei

I forgot which one in the series was actually quite challenging to really hard if you went for the platinum. With the racing and the speedrunning.

Roufianos

I remember the gameplay just felt very basic and stripped back compared to ACiT. Felt like back to basics instead of an evolution.

BlackTron

I enjoyed my playthrough. Even though I never played the original and can see how it may have been better in many aspects, making people pissed about change of tone, cut content etc. It was still a good game that made me look forward to Rift Apart.

When I finished it, I wanted to go back and play the older games but they don't make it easy. They desperately need a modern compilation. I got one working in a PS2 emulator

phant0m

Was good IMO. The movie was trash, but the game was damn good.

I agree and shocked to see the hate. It thought it was a great, focused experience. If I recall correctly it was budget priced on launch ($40/50) too.

Ulysses 31

Im convinced people here just hate everything.
And others
games-as-stuff-96-1557153552.jpg

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Phase

I actually enjoyed it, but I went back to the original after and enjoyed that more. OG just has more character, and more levels too that were cut in the remake.

diffusionx

Gold Member
yes, it is that bad

That's what most people play it for since its gameplay focused. I dont see why anyone would play it primarily for the story/characters unless they are very young. It's just not that kind of game.
You're right, and that's the whole problem. The 2016 game turned what was actually a pretty interesting story with complex characters that evolve over time into insipid, simplistic, and childish nonsense.

But the gameplay really wasn’t that great either, the dialogue was horrible from the characters in the levels, and a lot less content.

Last edited:

Killer8

This is an incredibly in-depth video going over the differences between the original and the remake, but it's pretty long. But you don't have to watch all of it to understand why some people don't like the remake.

This is a good video. As the Ratchet series has progressed they basically sucked all of the innuendo and character out of it. I remember they used to even name the games things like Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, Size Matters and Full Frontal Assault. Nowadays you get shit like this instead:

Top Bottom