• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was this known? Xbox expansion card for $80 and $150

They've had two generations to learn that proprietary drives are dead. Even Nintendo, who moves at a snail's pace sometimes, doesn't do it anymore. Even if you're offering the convenient product for the less technically minded customer, you can't in this day and age not also offer the option for those that do want to upgrade with off the standardised products. It's bad business. It was bad on 360, and it's bad now.
I remember back in the days of my 360, there was a hacking software tool someone made for it. You could buy a Western Digital HDD (it had to be that brand), and the software tool could edit the drive's ID or something to make it look like the one you got after paying an ungodly amount of money to Microsoft for the official HDD upgrade kit. So first you hacked the drive, then you used another tool someone made to copy your old HDD's data, in my case the 20 GB HDD that came with my 360 which survived through 2 RRoD consoles, to the new HDD. That let me upgrade to a 160 GB HDD, which was a capacity Microsoft didn't even offer at that time, without having to get ass fucked by their proprietary HDD upgrade kit pricing.

Good memories, let me tell you.

VitoNotVito

still a rip off
j2rqNuQ.png
Yeah.
Half the speed, twice the price.

I grabbed a used Seagate 1TB expansion drive a few months back. It cost me half the price of the Series S (~130 USD) and tripled my storage capacity. I am surprised this expansion drive has the same performance as the internal SSD. It was worth it for me as it removed the headaches of internal installation and space management. I still have ~40% of storage available and I have tons installed. They are somewhat expensive, but what price can be put on peace of mind?
This is one of the problems though. When a Series S is $300 and you spend $130-150 (not on sale) on a drive you could have just bought a Series X for a small amount more. When the cards came out you actually would have spent more then just a Series X alone for half a TB more storage.

Tommi84

MS thought the format they went with would remain competitive price-wise
OF COURSE, NOT. They knew the format will be expensive for the consumer so they can rip them off more. They've already did it earlier and never learned from PS Vita's rip off from proprietary format. Proprietary is ALWAYS more expensive

Last edited:

Z O N E

That's one of the biggest mistakes MS made with Xbox Series X. The way they handled the storage aspect has been dogshit. They wanted to bridge the gap between PC and Consoles but then release a console that has proprietary storage. 🤦‍♂️

PS5 did the storage right, but the console itself looks like absolute garbage.

Us gamers can never win.

Boss Mog

still a rip off
A massive one.

Literally double the storage for less money. Sony got it right.

twilo99

Its $127 right now. Lightning deal.

Missed it .. I guess they didn’t have all that many.

Got the 512gb which seems an ok deal

Topher

Gold Member
IIRC nobody saw the bottom falling out of the market for the particular flavor of NVME drive Sony went with. MS thought the format they went with would remain competitive price-wise, so it was a bad bet.

There was no competition for the first 2+ years of the consoles existence since Seagate had exclusive rights to sell the things. So Microsoft didn't care at all about competition. This was about maximizing profit.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
yup, i got the 2tb corsair ssd with heatsink for £113 a few weeks ago from amazon for a friend. but there’s been even cheaper nvme drives. you can get 4tb crucial P3 plus nvme on amazon £172 currently.
I grabbed the 2TB Corsair myself a few weeks back as well. Works fantastic.

There was plenty of other options too, especially if you have a separate heat sink.

jorgejjvr

I grabbed a used Seagate 1TB expansion drive a few months back. It cost me half the price of the Series S (~130 USD) and tripled my storage capacity. I am surprised this expansion drive has the same performance as the internal SSD. It was worth it for me as it removed the headaches of internal installation and space management. I still have ~40% of storage available and I have tons installed. They are somewhat expensive, but what price can be put on peace of mind?
How did you get it that low?

Top Bottom