• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Famitsu Thread

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I couldn't be more excited for a new Way of the Samurai game. Holy shit! Those were some of my favorite PS2 games.

Link said:
I just think they aren't interested in the Wii, like most of the other Japanese [EDIT - or Western, for that matter] third parties.

I'd chalk it up to the specific producers and directors as well. Depending on how much leeway they get, some may never touch the Wii unless they feel they can make of use of it. And most of these guys personally believe the PS3 is the best system to realize their visions, no matter what the market says.

Dascu said:
There's new The Sky Crawlers and King Story scans too. Both look really cool.

Ooh, both looking good. Those are the first gameplay shots of Sky Crawlers I've seen & it looks really quite nice.

batbeg

Fire Emblem DS is a really ugly game :( No two ways about it. Will still be balls out awesome though.

King's Story pretty much looks like condensed awesomeness in every fiber of it's being. Hope it hits UK this year or early next year.

Woah, Wario Land looks and sounds even more awesome. Can't wait for some gameplay footage.
Sky Crawlers looks pretty damn good too (maybe a new trailer soon ?) ! Same for that really interesting looking DS Wizard of Oz game.
Good stuff :D .

batbeg

ShockingAlberto said:
Hm. I'd really have to see how the battle sprites animate.

Still-shots of the GBA game would look ugly to me.

This could be true. There's a very shitty quality, very brief clip of the game in action here, and it does look better, but not enough for me to really decide yet. Not that it matters, as I said, it's going to be awesome anyway :D

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
wonder when we'll get a firm Little King's Story release date?

TreIII

Sigma Harmonics looks very interesting. I'll be looking forward to that. King's Story looks awesome, and Stafy 5 even looks to be a charming game that can hopefully hold me over until Kirby comes out later this year.

STILL, it's Wario Land that takes the cake for me this week. Man that game looks so good...

"Ganbare Goemon" team + Wario Land franchise + 2D action + Captain Syrup's triumphant return = ORGASMICALLY AWESOME

Game WILL be mine next month. No doubt about that.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jonnyram said:
RIZ looks amazing. Right out of nowhere too.
I guess thats the end of Wild Arms?
How big is Media.Vision? I think it's possible that they're working on games for Sony still (XF didn't come out that long ago), I remember them putting job listings up for a Wii project too.

batbeg

jj984jj said:
How big is Media.Vision? I think it's possible that they're working on games for Sony still (XF didn't come out that long ago), I remember them putting job listings up for a Wii project too.

Their website has them at 64 people, so if they're doing this as well as working on a Wii game, there's no way they're doing a Wild Arms game right now.

I doubt it means it's quits for the series though, I mean surely SCEJ realizes they need to hold onto some Japanese franchises, right? (Was this series ever strong though?)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
sky crawlers looks awesome :eek:

hope they don't screw up the controls ...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mammothtank said:
Ratchet & Clank Future sold enough to be considered a "Greatest Hit" in Japan?

No; THE BEST versions don't really have any particular correlation to the game's original sales. Some series do them for every game (eg Resident Evil) regardless of sales. Other never do them, regardless of sales.

It's not a pseudo-objective / semi-automatic thing like it is in the US.

Shouta

Jonnyram said:
64 employees!

Doubt its quits for Wild Arms. They did do two of them fairly recently so they probably want to do handle another project. XF is awesome and not getting a sequel would be criminal.

By the way, a few Sky Crawlers details, from the scans :

- subtitle of the game is "Innocent Aces"
- the story depicts the encounter between the main character, a member of an ace unit belonging to a war contractor called "Rostok Office", and a mysterious and particularly skilled young pilote girl, Orishina Maumi, who just joined this unit...[they mention that the story of this encounter is told neither in the original work, nor in the movie, so apparently, this is mostly an original story]
- They insist on how beautiful the graphics/visuals are, as well as the very varied sceneries the battles take place in [and yep, from the scans, this game looks REALLY good].
-Basically, Nunchuk = joystick, Wiimote = throttle. Also, you can pretty much handle the controller as pleases you.
- there is apparently a squad management system, too
- you can execute special, acrobatic maneuvers by using a system called "Tactical Maneuvers Command"
- fight flying enemies, as well as ground based enemies, though acrobatic dogfights are still apparently the core of the gameplay
- They say : "the player can execute every aviation technique if he is skilled enough at controlling the joystick"
- From the pics, there appears to be some kind of points system, though they apparently say nothing about this in the article.
- director is Masanori Kato

And that's it, I think. The game looks pretty awesome actually. I'm really hoping for a quick localization, though I imagine that this will depend on their plans for a simultaneous release with the movie in the West...

While we're at it, the official Sky Crawlers site has been updated with a synopsis, a character profile, and a few screenshots, as well as the new logo/subtitle :

6323311313.png

5663656162163.png

5666561.png

654545545.png

I don't really understand the logic behind 'Sky Crawlers'. It's like exactly the opposite mental image I'd want to convey from a flight game.

Pureauthor said:
I don't really understand the logic behind 'Sky Crawlers'. It's like exactly the opposite mental image I'd want to convey from a flight game.
It's based off an anime which is based off a book which probably has a decent reason to be named that.

Top Bottom