• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best Warhammer games?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I've had an outside fascination with Warhammer for years but it's such a huge franchise I don't know where to begin. I'm talking about just the video games here.

So what are some of the better ones? I know they've made games in several genres. I'm good with any.

I did play Space Marine back in the day and enjoyed that. Inquisitor Martyr looks like a fun diablo type. What else gaf?

GHG

Inquisitor Martyr if you like arpg's. But apparently the console versions are pretty shoddy so get it on PC if you can.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Dawn of War.
Winter Assualt.
Dark Crusade.
SpaceHulk Tactics.
Space Marine.
Dawn of War II.
Dawn of War III.

That is all.

I warn you, whichever Dawn of War you start with, will mar your view of the others.
If you start with 1 youll want an RTS and never get another one.
If you start with 2 youll want a tactical almost ARPG.
If you start with 3 youll wish you had just started with the prior 2 games.

Inquisitor Martyr has been patched alot but its still not a great game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Warhammer: Dark Omen was a fun 1998 RTS with RPG elements, branching paths and other stuff. Also no base building, you got units from the story and your choices and could utilize up to x amount per encounter. If the unit was wiped out (and a wizard would be a unit by himself, powerful but at risk) you lost them forever, if they survived they could be replenished with paid reinforcements. They leveled up and could also equip an artifact or similar for stat boosts or special attacks and such. One thing I disliked was some button mashing aspect for morale in clashes but it's almost optional...

Last edited:
220px-Vermintide.jpg
220px-Warhammer_40000_Space_Marine_cover.jpg

Fire Warrior is alright if you just wanna blast some imperials. Getting on a bit these days but its only £1.29 at the moment on GOG

Kacho

I've had an outside fascination with Warhammer for years but it's such a huge franchise I don't know where to begin. I'm talking about just the video games here.

So what are some of the better ones? I know they've made games in several genres. I'm good with any.

I did play Space Marine back in the day and enjoyed that. Inquisitor Martyr looks like a fun diablo type. What else gaf?
Dawn of War 1 and its expansions is the best 40k game.

Total War Warhammer is the best fantasy game.

The rest are average to whatever imo.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
If youre on PC and like fantasy its the Total Warhammer series. Get all 3 so you can do Immortal Empires mode... Im sure theyre dirt cheap on Steam right now.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
PC is my primary platform.

I'd definitely give those a go then if you like empire building, strategy, and RTS style battles.

Then of course Dawn of War series is great. Vermintide and Darktide if you like the FPS looters, those are great.

I haven't played Chaosbane but it looks like Diablo.

But Total Warhammer 3 is my favorite by far! If you own all 3 games it unlocks "Immortal Empires" which just a gigantic ass sandbox map of the whole world to conquer with every faction. Its a madhouse.

Top Bottom