• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if you were in charge of the videogame industry?

If you had the power to totally control the entire industry, if you could channel certain developers into making certain games, mold all games into exactly what you wanted, control everything Bruce Almighty-style, what would you do?

First, I'd eliminate all the shit games like Big Mutha Fucka Trucka and exile the people behind them to the depths of space.

Second, all portable systems on Earth would be cast into a single bonfire that spreads to the heavens.

Third, I would send AM2 to complete Shenmue 3-8, each game being bigger and more perfect than the last. Shenmue 8 would have a budget of $12 billion. If Yu Suzuki complained he was tired, I would cast pestilence upon him until the masterpiece was complete.

Third, I'd make sure 90% of all games were RPG/strategy/simulation games. And they would all be good. When it tickles my fancy I would allow another type of game to be created. But only if it was the epitome of perfection in an inperfect world.

Fourth, all games would be released as collectors editions inlaid with pure platinum and gold, and they would all come with 300+ page color manuals with the fragrance of merr. All cover art would be classical in quality, soaring to the upper boundries of human potential.

Fifth, all videogame magazines wouldn't suck.

Sixth, uppity people like Trip Hawkins and Lorne Lanning would shut the fuck up.

Seventh, the ultimate MMORPG would be commisioned, Known Universe Online. A game that would take more 15 billion years to travel across, assuming you could travel at nearly the speed of light. Instead of arbitrary game limitations, you would be free to roam the plane of meta-existential logic, with everything from quantum gravitational fluctuations to sub-harmonic resonance frequences to what the fuck was I talking about, let's just move on to the next one.

Eighth, people who disagree with my neo-fascist policies would be "adjusted", so as to make a more perfect individual.

Uhhhhh....So, what would you do?

jarrod

Banned
Form a game consortium, who would set a console standard every 6 years. Sony, Nintendo, Matsushitsa, Sega Sammy, Microsoft, NEC, Samsung, Square Enix, Electronic Arts and most large scale hardware and software firms would be abiding members and there would be a variety of hardware configurations with a variety of options from a variety of providers.

Pimpbaa

I'd make games a lot cheaper, make PC developers stop putting in copy protection that screws over legit users, oh and more titties in every title.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
"sixth, uppity people like Trip Hawkins and Lorne Lanning would shut the fuck up."

Hahahaha

Thanks for letting us pick which 3rd we want there, because I am gonna ignore this fucking stupid idea :)

"Third, I'd make sure 90% of all games were RPG/strategy/simulation games. And they would all be good. When it tickles my fancy I would allow another type of game to be created. But only if it was the epitome of perfection in an inperfect world."

~Black Deatha

Justin Bailey

------ ------
I'd force Miyamoto to make a mature-themed game, which would suck since it's not his style, and then everyone would finally shut the fuck up about it.

DopeyFish said:
I'd make trolling the Xbox a capital punishable offense.

Videogame industry. Not society by large.

for all the people who advocate making games cheaper... if you're heading it up. You'd want profits. Only things I do are ensure that crap games don't get published. Then, everybody wins. And oh, maybe a consolidated console so we can be spared the thisvsthat debates. And free Rez vibrators.

Andy787

Banned
I would take away every franchise and licence EA owns, except Sword of Sodan. I would then make their entire workforce to produce Sword of Sodan titles until the end of time.

Ranger X

lol. This is less serious and a more interesting topic than some of your last ones Neutron...

As for me i would make sure nobody spoil their series with a "sequel a year". Would also create competition for Nintendo in the handheld market and oblige them not to produce another portable in the same 5 year.
I would also force Miyamoto to put is mutherfucking ass on the producer/designer in chief and nowhere else.
I would make sure each game is produced through creative will and never simply a lucrative product. I would obviously approve (or not) any game coming to release.

[off topic]

I would have sex with any woman anywhere anytime i want.

[/off topic]

oh yeah and i will make sure Neutron Night never steal my position as the Allmighty. ;)

- I would arrange for Sega to have unlimited resources. I'd give them free psychedelic drugs so they don't run out of quirky ideas. I'd push 2k/espn sports over madden. I'd give you all a nights sequel.
- I would hire new artists for Insomniac and esp. Naughty Dog.
- I would convince premier FPS developers to add little bits of platforming into their FPS projects.
- I would convince RPG developers to expand in scope beyond sci fi and fantasy cliche.
Just think of all the interesting things one could experience in an RPG setting, just about anything hollywood can tackle I'd imagine....and then some. Also lets bring back some quality single player pc rpgs!
- I'd give ION Storm resources to make Deus Ex and Thief games that are technically superior and more glitch free than Splinter Cell games.
-I would get Rare to throw some actually developed fighting systems into their action/adventures. Just imagine if Starfox Adventures had fighting like Ninja Gaiden does.
- I would ontologically erase the people at square responsible for the shift in style from FF7 to FFx and x-2.
- I would wipe acclaim from the face of the earth as if it had never existed
- I would slap around Nintendo managemnt just for the heck of it. I might get them some new artists too, at least for Mario games, as Sunshine and Mariokart: DD were not nearly as artistically fresh as past Marios.
- I'd ensure capcom grows to be bigger than EA by making their whacky and new franchises mega hits.

DCX

DCX
I would have Sega develop Dreamcast 2 and make a portable DC...maybe call it DC-X ( DC Express :p

DCX

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Let's just say that you wouldn't be seeing any consoles with the word "station" in their name any time soon.

Keio

For a Finer World
I would make sure that only one game gets published per month.

But it would always be a great game.

Slo

Games would provide an hour of *real* content for every dollar they charge at retail. For example:

Final Fantasy games all have about 10-15 hours of actual content surrounded by decades of repetitive filler, so they'd be $10-$15 at the store.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Form a game consortium, who would set a console standard every 6 years. Sony, Nintendo, Matsushitsa, Sega Sammy, Microsoft, NEC, Samsung, Square Enix, Electronic Arts and most large scale hardware and software firms would be abiding members and there would be a variety of hardware configurations with a variety of options from a variety of providers.<<<<

Fixed hardware specs are one of the main strengths of consoles, IMO. PC gaming would be right up your alley.

Top Bottom