• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the point of gaming hardware marketing? When you can't even remember the name?

Spyxos

Gold Member
From time to time I see gaming hardware on youtube and other places. I've always wondered, what's the point of marketing for something that no one can remember? Wouldn't simple names that you can remember be better? Instead of these letters and numbers salad?

How about:

Acer Nitro XV271UM3 or rather Acer ED320QRP?

Asus rog swift oled pg27aqdm

Samsung Odyssey Oled Gaming Monitor
G93DC

Yeah, it's Saturday evening here and I'm bored.

Bored Spongebob Squarepants GIF by Nickelodeon

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Do you not understand just how many peripherals have been made over the years? You'd run out of "ordinary" names in no time and you'd be gaming on an Acer Super Turbo Mega Panther Excess Swift.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
XV - series
27 - size
1UM3 - revision/version/market

Put it all together
XV271UM3

The 42 inch LG C2s full name in the US is OLED42C2PUA

OLED - Technology
42 - Size
C2 - Series
PUA - Revision/Version/Market identifier.

Wildebeest

Product names are meant to be confusing. People look at the selection. See that the most expensive one seems unnecessarily expensive, don't want to cheap out and buy the lowest price option, so go for the one in the middle.

I know my fingers get tired typing in "iPhone 15 Pro Max".
Apple must know what they're doing but I don't like how they name.

ZoukGalaxy

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

season 13 GIF

These letters and numbers are actually very useful and give informations unlike a commercial random and stupid extremely long name, I'm so glad they are doing it like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom