• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What new inputs could the DualShock 5 add?

D3SCHA1N

Motion is just a tool, its not good or bad on its own. Sure, Wii-era waggle gimmicks are thankfully dead, but using a gyroscope to more precisely aim in a shooter, far better than clunky, archaic analog stick aiming. You not liking Motion or VR doesn't mean these things need to go away and have the controller be ruined for everyone else. Not to mention, you don't have to use motion aiming either. Just turn it off if you don't want it.

I didn't say motion & VR support 'need to go away', I was saying I don't think they should be prioritized over the analog inputs of the controller itself. The physical controller will be used by anyone who buys the system, motion & VR won't be, so the thing everyone will use should be what gets the most improvement. In my experiences aiming with the dual shock's gyroscope has not been a superior method than the analogs, and honestly the analogs aren't even good. The xbox controllers are far superior overall IMO in no small part due to not even having all the gimmicky motion, touchpad, lightbar BS the dual shock has...

Jubenhimer

The xbox controllers are far superior overall IMO in no small part due to not even having all the gimmicky motion, touchpad, lightbar BS the dual shock has...

The next Xbox controller needs a gyroscope. Gyro aiming should be a standard option in console shooters. The fact that the Switch version of Fortnite has this, yet the PS4 version doesn't is pathetic.

D3SCHA1N

Yes. You don't have to use it, but the Xbox controller for Scarlett needs a motion sensor. It's long overdue, and I don't want to be forced to use the analog stick to aim in console shooters anymore.

By introducing unnecessary, gimmicky technology it's just going to drive the price up so that 2% of people can have some novelty control input. Not worth it imo, I hope they don't bother.

D3SCHA1N

Except it's not a gimmick. Motion is standard on just about every modern controller... Except Xbox.

Well it is very, very niche. You're literally the first person I've ever heard talk about using it, like, at all. I don't think xbox not adding it would be missed by enough of an audience to justify the price it'd add or potential negative controller design impacts it could require. The juice of this particular lemon is not worth the squeeze so far as I can tell. M$ took it on the chin with kinect, I hope they just stay well away from any motion sensor/ motion control nonsense from here on out. You're free to feel differently.

Jubenhimer

You're literally the first person I've ever heard talk about using it, like, at all. I don't think xbox not adding it would be missed by enough of an audience to justify the price it'd add or potential negative controller design impacts it could require. The juice of this particular lemon is not worth the squeeze so far as I can tell. M$ took it on the chin with kinect, I hope they just stay well away from any motion sensor/ motion control nonsense from here on out. You're free to feel differently.

Gyro aiming is already popular enough on Switch and PS4, and it's gaining traction with PS4 gamers as well. Microsoft needs to convince its audience that gyro aiming is the future.

Paddles on the bottom of the controller would be nice. Maybe even make them bindable at the OS level for specific games? Extended battery life is always a plus. Swapping out the charging port for something not shitty would be nice as well. I had to buy a charging dock because even with brand new controllers and charging cords it would be loose and never charge. Hell, make it wireless charging since that seems to be the route we're going with devices anyway.

GamingKaiju

rear paddles, remapping buttons, better battery life are a few changes I would like to see but they would have to make a PS pro controller instead of a standard pack in for all that.

Keep the speaker!

When done right, (Transistor, RPG Tape Journals etc), it really added to the atmosphere of a game imo .. loved it. Just wasn't used fully unfortunately.

EDIT: And yea, 4K Rumble that Nintendo promised but didn't really deliver on

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

Gyro aiming is already popular enough on Switch and PS4, and it's gaining traction with PS4 gamers as well. Microsoft needs to convince its audience that gyro aiming is the future.

Well personally I disagree, I believe their efforts would be better spent elsewhere.

Giving it decent thumbstick placement and materials before adding new stuff would be a start. Every DS4 I’ve used has had terrible rubber and mine was nigh on unusable until I put Xbox sticks on it. Still not perfect with the sticks in the middle but it’s okay at least

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Flush underside buttons. People have been asking for this for a decade. Not in large numbers maybe, but the idea is not new and it's long past due. Third parties are releasing paddle clickers and all kinds of un ergonomic garbage to let you use the sticks without losing the ability to press buttons. Flush underside buttons are the answer.

Hudo

I feel that instead of trying to put additional shit on the next DualShock, Sony should rather work on improving the overall build quality and ergonomics. Also, if they want to keep backwards compatibility, they will very likely not remove the touchpad or the stupid share-button (or they just continue to sell DS4s during the PS5s tenure, who knows?)

Shmunter

System buttons should just be represented by an icon of sorts. Allowing the user to configure the functions.

Eg. I press a diamond, it goes to party chat. Someone else presses theirs, it opens up the store.

Top Bottom