• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you want in a N64 Classic Mini Console?

Salty Hippo

I imagine that when Notch made a deal with Microsoft, he stipulated that Minecraft can still be released on other systems. I'm guessing that Microsoft just own Mojang in so much that they get the lion's share of the profits. Otherwise it would be in their best interest to ensure Minecraft remains exclusive to their own platforms. I freely admit that this is speculation, however.

But let's also consider the fact that Banjo and Kazooie appeared as guest characters in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, but only the XBox 360 version. If Microsoft weren't going to let their characters appear as a guests in the Wii version of a multiplatform game, they certainly aren't going to hand over entire games that are a big selling point of Rare Replay.

But the most telling thing of all is simply that these games are absent from the Virtual Console. I don't know why people think they'd be any more likely to appear in a N64 mini.

Literally no reason Microsoft wouldn't allow it. The Rare IPs hold zero value for them today, they can't be bothered to use them in new games and Rare Replay is already dead. Who wanted it, got it. It's not a thing that sells systems anymore, and it only ever was for a handful of hardcore Rare fans.

The reason the games are not on VC is probably because Nintendo doesn't care. Aren't there like 10 N64 titles, all from IP they own? They just don't give a shit. Hell, there are games that they've made themselves that they can't be arsed to bring over.

Hilarion

I do think that the Star Wars games are possibilities due to Disney having pretty good ties with Nintendo. I doubt Rare games are possibilities.

I'll do 30 games, excluding any I don't see as realistic (all Rare titles except DK64).

1. Super Mario 64
2. Pilotwings 64
3. Wave Race
4. Mario Kart 64
5. Super Smash Bros.
6. Kirby 64
7. Donkey Kong 64
8. Ocarina of Time
9. Majora's Mask
10. F-Zero X
11. Yoshi's Story
12. 1080 Snowboarding
13. Mario Golf
14. Mario Tennis
15. Star Fox 64
16. Paper Mario
That's it from Nintendo proper, I think.
17. Sin and Punishment
18. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (I think Konami would be fine with this)
19. Goemon's Great Adventure
20. Bomberman 64 (same)
21. Bomberman Hero
22. Mario Party 2
23. Mario Party 3
24. Megaman 64
25. Rayman 64
26. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
27. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
28. Star Wars Ep 1 Racer
29. Ogre Battle 64
30. Mischief Makers

Anth0ny

I feel like this would be the time, if ever, for Nintendo to work out a deal to get Goldeneye. There's way too much nostalgia for that game, and such a release would feel incomplete without it.

Celine

The reason the games are not on VC is probably because Nintendo doesn't care. Aren't there like 10 N64 titles, all from IP they own? They just don't give a shit. Hell, there are games that they've made themselves that they can't be arsed to bring over.
On Wii VC there was a total of 21 games available, two of which were owned by other companies (SquareEnix and Konami).

On Wii U VC there are currently only 10 games.

TheMoon

how many NES games are there that would get a higher rating anyway?

None probably, but that's precisely why they can and have done the NES Classic with the games they chose.

edit: gamefaqs database search reveals the only NES game rated T is Earthbound Beginnings (only counts VC games since the ESRB didn't exist until the NES was almost entirely out the door). There are some E10+ games like the Double Dragon series, Punch Out!!, Hogan's Alley, Mighty Final Fight, River City Ransom, Renegade, Street Fighter 2010, Operation Wolf, Adventures of Bayou Billy. Zero M-rated games.

deleted

There need to be 4 controller ports and the emulation has to be lag-less. Have colorful controllers on sale and maybe even more than one color for the console (I understand that this most likely won't happen though...).

Since most Rare titles will be out of question if Nintendo doesn't approach MS about it (remember that MS was in talks about releasing Goldeneye on the Wii with Nintendo), I'd say focus on MP titles.

The lists so far speak for themselves. The only mandatory title that isn't talked about that often is Bomberman 64 though.

Top Bottom