• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will Nintendo first tease their new hardware?

When will Nintendo's new hardware first be teased?

• Total voters

ultrazilla

Gold Member

I see what you did there.............

5bc677f1769ba98249ed5f64822579e3.gif

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I think the switch can handle todays games, they got Totk playing on it.
That they got it working is not the point. The technical tradeoffs they needed to make to do so is.

I can really see it going 2 ways. 1 they launch in November and reveal as late as possible given their financial forecast cadence. The second is that they continue to ride this out and have a decent amount of games to reveal for the Switch and plan to launch next March with a reveal in December or so.

I am hoping the thing launches sooner and that preorders are organized and I can get one for the kids at Xmas.

BlackTron

Just like with the Switch, an October reveal with a march release.

And end up in 2025?

No successor will be revealed until after Switch's last Christmas, and it just happened. A reveal would otherwise hurt Switch's holiday performance. Switch got revealed with a funky timeline because Wii U was already dead and they could not wait to move on.

Kings Field

And end up in 2025?

No successor will be revealed until after Switch's last Christmas, and it just happened. A reveal would otherwise hurt Switch's holiday performance. Switch got revealed with a funky timeline because Wii U was already dead and they could not wait to move on.

Oh no I meant like a six month window from reveal to launch. I think we will get it this year for sure. I’m hoping for a feb/march reveal.

Mowcno

It will be mentioned in their IR releases at the end of this fiscal year (April) and then a full reveal will take place in the summer.

schaft0620

I think we get a super early Direct that covers Q1+Q2 then in May to July we'll get a hardware event then a separate event for games July to September.

No mention of S2 in Q1 at all, probably not until the end of Q2.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Just gave Miyamoto a call, he said Summer, so either Q2/Q3, he says not sure yet.

If any of you doubt the validity of me effectively trying to claim a half year window, I don't know what to tell you, but when I'm proven right, I trust you'll take my position as industry insider seriously from that point on.

EDIT: Miyamoto just texted me again and said it might be Q1/Q4. So there's that.

Last edited:

Regginator

My money's on a late Q1 reveal (March) and a late Q3 or early Q4 2024 release (September or October).

Or, maybe even a 2025 release in which they'd follow the Switch timetable, e.g. officially announcing it in October this year and then releasing it in March 2025.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I can really see it going 2 ways. 1 they launch in November and reveal as late as possible given their financial forecast cadence. The second is that they continue to ride this out and have a decent amount of games to reveal for the Switch and plan to launch next March with a reveal in December or so.
Option number 2 seems highly unlikely. On the latest Direct they announced a bunch of remasters / remakes, the last of which is scheduled for July. Apart from that Peach game, which is a smaller project, it really seems like they’ve squeezed the Switch for all it was worth. If they had something real big for Switch in 2024 they’d likely have dropped a trailer or two at this point, and their biggest IP all had a new release in 2023 so anything new for those is improbable this year.

The sensible thing would be to announce the thing this spring, followed by a price cut for the original Switch to move some more units and maybe reach PS2 numbers. Then release the new hardware later in the year. But this is Nintendo, so I don’t expect them to do this.

I think reveal in March, at least a confirmation/ teaser of it. So they can openly discuss it in the April FY briefing. Now that the holidays are over and not really any huge hitters left for Switch (that are scheduled, anyway) I think we’re in Wait & See season for Switch successor talk. It’s only a matter of weeks/months at this point.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Option number 2 seems highly unlikely. On the latest Direct they announced a bunch of remasters / remakes, the last of which is scheduled for July. Apart from that Peach game, which is a smaller project, it really seems like they’ve squeezed the Switch for all it was worth. If they had something real big for Switch in 2024 they’d likely have dropped a trailer or two at this point, and their biggest IP all had a new release in 2023 so anything new for those is improbable this year.

The sensible thing would be to announce the thing this spring, followed by a price cut for the original Switch to move some more units and maybe reach PS2 numbers. Then release the new hardware later in the year. But this is Nintendo, so I don’t expect them to do this.
That lineup for me means Switch is done, they won't do a Direct February without a new console. I'm thinking it'll be announced this Month and 3-4 months later a release.

leo-j

If it’s a literal switch 2 (same joy cons maybe a little better rumble and analogs ) with BC to switch 1 with ps4 ish specs, I would say q2… spring ish! But tbh they may want to come for that ps2 159 M record…. And at the right they are selling they could get there ….. so idk if they want to kill it off that early.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Kermit GIF

OT: My guess is April. Release in November.
I know, the hardware has been around for more than 6 years, but it is also a complex situation for Nintendo, in the portable field they have Steam Deck, Lenovo legion go and Asus... It is not so simple in this aspect... Also, on the other hand, they have PS5, they have to bet on something innovative.

Additionally, the Nintendo switch has sold very well and still has a good catalog of games.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
If you asked me last year this time I would have expected I would have it pre-ordered by now. At this point I'm going with 2026.

nbkicker

It’s nintendo so anything could happen, also considering any nintendo game coming this yr is a remaster, i don’t think it matters when Nintendo announce the console, but if they gonna release oct-dec then I think then need to start showing anytime from now till march for a console announcement, then come e3 or whatever event like a treehouse in June/july a hands on with the device and what software coming to get the buzz up for release

Top Bottom