• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which series in the Tom Clancy Franchise is your favorite? (Read OP)

Which Tom Clancy Series is your favorite?

• One-off titles (End War, Red Storm Rising, Shadow Watch, etc.)(Post your favorite below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Tom Clancy titles have been with us for generations and has build an impressive catalog of amazing quality titles covering multiple genres. Which of the various Tom Clancy series do you find to be the top of the pack? it will be a tough decision due to the large library of classics and recent favorites. Here is the series line-up:

SPLINTER CELL:
51BNVRGRWBL._SY445_.jpg

Splinter Cell was and possibly still is the most well known Tom Clancy series next to Ghost Recon. Starting out by not only innovating the stealth genre with truly fantastic games, but also wowing gamers with the series' graphical mastery. The best of both worlds until a change of direction during the 360 era, to where the production values became top notch and more cinematic, which has split the fanbase. Last game was Splinter Cell BlackList:

Notable games:

• Splinter Cell
  • Splinter Cell: Double Agent
  • Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  • Splinter Cell: N_gage
  • Splinter Cell Conviction

RAINBOW SIX
Rb6box.jpg

Rainbow Six is the original squad based army shooter from Tom Clancy. Requiring more tactical skill in order to master these games successfully. The most recent game is the successful Rainbow Six Seige, which has modernized and changed the classic formula.

Notable games:

• Rainbow Six
  • Rainbow Six 3
  • Rainbow Six: Critical Hour
  • Rainbow Six: Vegas
  • Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
  • Rainbow Six: Siege

GHOST RECON
13537_front.jpg

Ghost Recon is a squad-based shooter similar to Rainbow Six but not based on nooks from Tom Clancy unlike the latter. It also focuses more on modern and dutristic technlogy in more fictional universes. Some games have First-person and Third-person viewpoints. It's also one of the most known Tom Clancy series. The latest game is Ghost Recon; Wild Lands.

Notable games:

• Ghost Recon
  • Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter,
  • Ghost Recon (Wii)
  • Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
  • Ghost Recon: WildLands

THE DIVISION
220px-The_Division_box.jpg

The Division is a recent addition to the Tom Clancy line-up, going deeper in story than even Splinter-Cell going for an Action-Adventure/Role-playing feel, along with open-world gameplay. To add more immersion to the world the game has a unique whether system which can help or hinder your progress. The game has been a huge success, and a Sequel will be releasing later this year.

H.A.W.X
220px-Tom_Clancy%27s_H.A.W.X.jpg

Tom Clancy's Hawks are an action aerial combat series. It has been a cult favorite among air-combat fans, and has been placed among the top above such games like F19 and Ace Combat. The series has only two games due to the sequel not doing as well as the first game, and the fact the air-combat genre is limited. However, the series is remembered fondly, and rumors are a 3rd game is in development. The Last game was H.A.W.X. 2.

Hunt for Red October
220px-TheHuntforRedOctoberZXSpectrumCoverArt.jpg

Hunt for Red October, is a series of video games that share the same name as Tom Clancy's popular novel. These three games spread across several popular computer and consoles platforms at the time. The games range from vehicular combat, to action games. The last game was released in 1991.

One-off games:
220px-Endwar-cover.jpg

There are several one-off games in the Tom Clancy universe, among them include games like Tom Clancy's End War, and Red Storm Rising. These games are mostly older titles as Tom Clancy games became confined to the more popular series after the mid 90's. With the most recent game being Tom Clany's Endwar which was released in 2008

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Difficult question!
I wonder if Tom Clancy put all their attention on one series what the outcome would be.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Ghost Recon has been the best overall, but hasn't been great for awhile.

The Shepard

I voted the division as I really like the gunplay and it's excellent playing with your mates. Looking forward to part 2.

There was some ancient Hunt For Red October DOS game, it was pretty simmy, I think it was a Microprose joint. Well, little kid me found it pretty simmy, but I loved it nonetheless.

wipeout364

I voted rainbow six but honestly I’ve spent and enjoyed many hours with Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon and the Division. Ubisoft gets a lot of criticism but they have made some solid games over the years.

Ivellios

Tom Clancy: Ghost Recon Shadow Wars for 3DS

This game surpassed my expectations, it is a turn based game with good mechanics and different classes, each agent had unique skills.

eot

Banned
Rainbow Six, I was very into the originals back in the day. Kinda want to go back and play them again actually. The UI for planning missions isn't the best, and the squad AI had some problems, but they're still cool games.

I also got into the Vegas series, but I enjoyed Rainbow Six Vegas 2 a lot more than the first one. Replayed the campaign tons of times. From what I gathered though, the first game seems to have been better received. I suspect it's one of those cases where the second game came out too soon, and had too few changes, so people were disappointed by it, even though the campaign is better designed.

Ozrimandias

I voted rainbow six but honestly I’ve spent and enjoyed many hours with Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon and the Division. Ubisoft gets a lot of criticism but they have made some solid games over the years.

This gen has been very good with the Tom Clancy franchise, R6 and Ghost Recon had very good reception, The Division is good overall with a difficult start, with a second part on the way............problably the best way to crown this gen, is with a release of a new Splinter Cell (please Ubi)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You mean the "Tom Clancy's" franchise?

I'm going with Splinter Cell though I did quite love the original Rainbow Six games.

Ghost Recon for me, but I wish it would go back to its roots. I hated Future Soldier as a GR game. It was a pretty good game but shouldn't have been Ghost Recon. Wildlands actually exceeded my expectations by a mile but I would love to see the open world move back to more of a military theme (not completely necessary, not sure if I'm explaining this well) and have an old school GR multiplayer mode with at least 8v8 with a no gadgets option (totally needed). Ghost Recon 1 & 2 on the OG Xbox were fucking magic. GRAW was good also, just had to get over the initial shock of the difference in graphics between campaign and multiplayer. Didn't take long though because MP was fun as hell.

I was tempted to vote for HAWX because those were great games. Story was average at best but at least it gave us another option in the flying category because I absolutely loathe the story/dialog in Ace Combat but will probably be forced to hold my nose and buy it since there are no longer any alternatives. Enjoyed HAWX having multiplayer but also having a coop campaign.

I enjoyed Splinter Cell, I'm just not a huge stealth game fan. That and it almost giving me heart attacks. Played the first few.

Last edited:

Skyr

1. Rainbow Six - Mainly Siege as I didn't play the previous titles

2. Ghost Recon (2001) - Used to be amazing for it's time. I did not like the follow up titles too much tho.

3. Splinter Cell series

Last edited:

Sygma

Gaaaah, tough one

Splinter Cell has had some incredible transformations through the years, but I'll hand it over to Ghost Recon. Series is just unbelievably good since GRAW days. Future Soldier was basically magical aswell

Pejo

Ghost recon for me. I love infiltration style gameplay and carefully planning your moves, then executing. Wildlands specifically has given me tons of "wow" moments that were not scripted. The drone gets a bit too useful/overpowered though, so it's hard to limit yourself into not making the game too easy.

Regardless, I don't have friends to play Wildlands with, but if I did, i'd Imagine it gets even better. Really satisfying gameplay loop in that game, and no bullet sponge BS like the Division had.

Last edited:
Ghost Recon. Nothing beats the original with both expansion packs, but I also enjoyed every other title in the series, even Future Soldier and Wildlands, despite being completely different games from the first one and Advanced Warfighter.

Ghost recon for me. I love infiltration style gameplay and carefully planning your moves, then executing. Wildlands specifically has given me tons of "wow" moments that were not scripted. The drone gets a bit too useful/overpowered though, so it's hard to limit yourself into not making the game too easy.

Regardless, I don't have friends to play Wildlands with, but if I did, i'd Imagine it gets even better. Really satisfying gameplay loop in that game, and no bullet sponge BS like the Division had.

I miss tactical shooters like GR/Swat 4 etc. Sadly the industry has been moving more toward the "inutitive" model which is shadow speak for dumbed-down and instant.

Top Bottom