• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why aren't there any new handhelds like the OG Nvidia Shield?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Tsrm5RL.jpg

One of the biggest complaints I hear about modern handhelds is that they're not comfortable to use for long periods of time. While the Steam Deck and a few PC handhelds have decent ergonomics, nothing beats the feeling of a standard sized controller.

But I feel like Nvidia solved this a decade ago with the original Shield, which was basically a normal controller with a clamshell screen attached to it. And you know what? It was awesome. The form factor was admittedly more bulky than something like the Switch or Pimax Portal, but most handhelds being produced these days aren't exactly "pocketable" to begin with. The Nvidia Shield didn't even need a case, since the clamshell design protected its important bits. That thing felt RUGGED.

So why doesn't Ayaneo, GPD, Asus, Retroid, or (hell) even Valve use this unique but excellent form factor? It's got all of the benefits of a standard controller, and the clamshell design ensures that your screen is protected even without a case. Plus, there are fewer constraints for things like batteries and active cooling. It just seems like a no-brainer to me.

It's an underrated handheld form factor and I will defend it to the death.

LakeOf9

This shit was awesome. I never owned it but I played a friend's and I always wish I got one.

I assume the success of Switch is why this form factor died out, because every new handheld in the market tried to mimic Switch's general look rather than the look of an old niche obscure handheld that didn't do too well in the market

Puscifer

I feel like at this point if you want something like it there's plenty choice. It served it's purpose for better or worse.

I'd argue the steam deck is there for the people who *know* this is for them.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Heh, I always loved that thing. But I'm probably also one of the few who like Project Q's goofy design, so...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

KXVXII9X

I believe the Nintendo Switch was the successor to the Shield and I haven't really seen anything like it. I guess the Logitech G Cloud and the Razer Edge come close.

Things like the Steam Deck and Asus Rog Ally seem to be a "next gen" version of the NVidia Shield.

LakeOf9

I feel like at this point if you want something like it there's plenty choice. It served it's purpose for better or worse.

I'd argue the steam deck is there for the people who *know* this is for them.
I believe the Nintendo Switch was the successor to the Shield and I haven't really seen anything like it. I guess the Logitech G Cloud and the Razer Edge come close.

Things like the Steam Deck and Asus Rog Ally seem to be a "next gen" version of the NVidia Shield.
Guys OP is taking about the physical design

CamHostage

Some cool shape could now be done with today's foldable screens.

I don't think we're going back to 5" screens though? It'd be nice, these 7 and bigger ones can really wrench your hands, but gamers measure by stats, and smaller isn't as sellable as bigger.

(BTW, I'm surprised that people lived the Shield ergonomics. I never owned one, kind of regret it, but I don't remember it feeling comfy in the demo models at stores. )

Last edited:
Top Bottom