• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will consoles go the ARM route?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I can't wait to see the reactions on this forum in 2025 when Nvidia rolls out their all-Nvidia PC; and I can't wait to laugh when they lock out their new RTX features behind their ARM platform.
that is one easy way to kill off your business.

SScorpio

This actually made me smile. Fuck ETA Prime.

In terms of the performance thing, you have to think that companies like Nvidia, AMD and Microsoft are going to make darn sure there's some pretty fucking incredible backwards compatibility. If not, of course there will be major adoption issues.

Again, though...I think there's a very sizable group of traditional PC fans that will follow Nvidia to hell and beyond, so....
Ya, his channel ran its course years ago, it'd be really nice to see benchmarks for things so you can actually see improvements. All his Mini PC content is just the same chips by a different vendor each video, showing off the same games, running at lowest quality settings, but it's a great way to play.

From leaks it sounds like Sony already signed a deal with AMD, so the PS6 should be another x86 AMD SOC. MS was late to the signing, and they might not have yet, Intel was courting them, but AMD is more likely.

I'm not sure about an all Nvidia PC, we've had the Jetson line for a while. Nvidia's OS support for their tablets and tv boxes is second to none though. I just think Nvidia's purchase of ARM ended any chance of them going it alone. Besides with how they like to price things, they an Nvidia PC might make Apple blush in terms of pricing.

Chiggs

I'm not sure about an all Nvidia PC, we've had the Jetson line for a while. Nvidia's OS support for their tablets and tv boxes is second to none though. I just think Nvidia's purchase of ARM ended any chance of them going it alone. Besides with how they like to price things, they an Nvidia PC might make Apple blush in terms of pricing.

Oh, they're definitely going it alone. As is AMD. I do agree with your pricing speculation, though.

PC Gamer weighed in on the issue; ignore the guy's timeframe, though...2025-26 is when this all starts to go down.

Of course, it is indeed games that are perhaps that hardest challenge for any emulation effort. And so it's gaming PCs that will likely be the last bastion of x86 PC hardware.

But Apple has proven how well emulation can be done and both Qualcomm and Nvidia have every reason to put major effort into making chips that emulate x86 software as well as possible. Neither has a licence to make x86 CPUs. So, if they want to get traction in the PC processor market, Arm chips that emulate x86 CPU cores well are a must.

Put it this way, you just know Nvidia would love to be able to build you an entire PC, controlling both the CPU and the GPU and cutting both AMD and Intel entirely out. That would put it on a even footing with its main competition on the PC. Thanks to Intel's push into graphics, both it and AMD can do both of the major components, leaving Nvidia swinging in the wind and dependent on platform support from either Intel or AMD. It can't possibly be happy with that situation.

that is one easy way to kill off your business.

I'd normally agree with you, but this is Nvidia, and I've never seen PC gamers stand up to them in any meaningful way...and then look at Apple's insane pricing.

Last edited:
People have these little things called digital libraries that they would like to keep compatible.

I am amazied at how often this has to be explained to people.

This I agree with. At some point we will have to move on from x86-64

Aren't these self-contradictory? If anything PC has MORE legacy titles that run on x86-64.

And the new x86S looks to drop much of the legacy 16/32-bit baggage.

Oh look, the same boring Chips and Cheese (?!) article being bandied about. Yawn. I swear, that article is like that dumbass tweet from that loser attorney last summer who claimed that the MS/Activision ruling needed to be overturned immediately because of some dumb technicalities the judge overlooked that didn't pass anyone's sniff test...except the "smart guys" on this forum. :messenger_smirking:

And golly, I sure do wonder why an ARMada is forming if X86 is so wonderful and lucrative.... Surely, there must be, you know, some manufacturing & cost advantages to be had.

I mean, even pathetic Intel is trying to pretend to be a part of it.

Naaaaah, I'm sure this is just a passing fad and the MUH PC bros with their totally desirable RGB towers of wonder represent where the market is heading, despite, you know, all the fucking evidence pointing to the contrary.

I can't wait to see the reactions on this forum in 2025 when Nvidia rolls out their all-Nvidia PC; and I can't wait to laugh when they lock out their new RTX features behind their ARM platform.

Anyway, back you go with fingers in ears. LA LA LA CHIPS AND CHEESE! LA LA LA CHIPS AND CHEESE!

This actually made me smile. Fuck ETA Prime.

In terms of the performance thing, you have to think that companies like Nvidia, AMD and Microsoft are going to make darn sure there's some pretty fucking incredible backwards compatibility. If not, of course there will be major adoption issues.

Again, though...I think there's a very sizable group of traditional PC fans that will follow Nvidia to hell and beyond, so....

I'll only believe it when an ARM based desktop decisively trumps a top level Intel/AMD (i. e. Core 9 xxxK or xxxxX(3D)) based one.

Chiggs

I'll only believe it when an ARM based desktop decisively trumps a top level Intel/AMD (i. e. Core 9 xxxK or xxxxX(3D)) based one.

That's not unreasonable. But I think if they can even match desktop performance and produce it in a form factor that is 1/10 the size of your traditional tower, they've got a hit on their hands.

Top Bottom