• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Wired] Pixar’s 'Sanjay’s Super Team' Turns a Real Childhood Into Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Wired just posted this great article discussing the short film that is attached to The Good Dinosaur - Sanjay's Super Team - and how it came to be.

I left out bits describing the short in detail - for those who haven't seen it yet. There's more at the link.

This weekend, The Good Dinosaur will hit theaters, which marks the first time Pixar has released two feature films in the same calendar year... But even with a 100-minute run time, The Good Dinosaur doesn’t leave as much of an impact as Sanjay’s Super Team, the six-minute, dialogue-free short that plays before the feature.

Sanjay will go down as one of the studio’s best, in league with classics like Presto, Partly Cloudy, and Day & Night. But unlike those shorts, which are generally either slapstick montages or fantastical scenarios, this one has its roots in, as the opening title card states, “a mostly true story.” For the first time in the studio’s history, it has produced a short film inspired by true events, and the result is Pixar’s most achingly personal film, one that finally opens the door for better diverse representation within and behind the scenes of its films.

Director Sanjay Patel had long struggled with the fact that his love of comics, cartoons, and art stood in contrast to his father’s devout Hindu traditions—it wasn’t until he was 35 that he finally read mythic texts like the epic Ramayana. But once he did, Patel found an outlet, drawing his own limited-run books and bringing them to the annual Alternative Press Expo in the Bay Area; he eventually published books like The Little Book of Hindu Deities and an adaptation of Ramayana.

As Patel grew more comfortable engaging with his heritage through his art, his work was displayed at the Brooklyn Museum in New York and featured at the Asian American Art Museum in San Francisco. Ultimately, in 2012, during one of Pixar’s open pitch sessions, he proposed an idea for a short film that was rooted in Hindu iconography: a child who learns about his culture through comic books. Pixar chief creative officer John Lasseter loved the idea, and the project went into development.
It’s the first time a Pixar short has gone all-in on a true story with as much emotional resonance as its fictional ones. “Nothing has been as explicit as this,” says Sanjay producer Nicole Paradis Grindle. “It’s got [Sanjay’s] name in the title and a photo of him and his dad at the end. But this is what John [Lasseter] encouraged us to do. It’s even more emotional and real when you know how real and personal it is.”
Given the studio’s track record of Best Animated Short Film nominations at the Oscars, it’s a safe bet that Sanjay’s Super Team will continue the trend—and that Pixar will likely encourage more personal stories from storytellers like Patel, who now feel supported and encouraged to step onto a stage of peers without apprehension. “I never got to see an image of people from my community in the cartoons or the televisions shows I grew up with,” says Patel. “What kind of miracle this is—to be able to craft something that I can give to my nieces and nephews and all these other immigrant kids.”

NnIHrJU.jpg

RoyalFool

Banned
I thought it was pretentious shite, kids started to get very fidgety and bored during it.

Edit: also had far too many shots framed for 3D

Tuck

I really enjoyed the short. You could tell it was a work of passion, and it was just very atypical of the shorts we usually get before these movies (Hindu theme).

So much better than that fucking "Somebody to Lava" shit that played before Inside Out.

Astarte

I really enjoyed the short. You could tell it was a work of passion, and it was just very atypical of the shorts we usually get before these movies (Hindu theme).

So much better than that fucking "Somebody to Lava" shit that played before Inside Out.

Somebody to Lava blows this shit out of the water

Blizzard

Banned
It was possibly my least favorite Pixar short that I can remember. It looked impressive visually but the material, slowness, and length felt like a pretty weird clash with normal Pixar material.

Chalk me up as someone who really enjoyed this short. It was surprising for Disney/Pixar to push the boundaries and invoke religion, especially a non-Western religion, but it turned out great.

First of all, disgust to anyone dismissing this short. It's probably one of the best and the most personal Pixar short ever made. The director screened this to my university a couple months ago, and I nearly broke down in tears. It' s an intensely personal story between Patel and his dad, and the behind-the-scenes stuff they showed of his dad watching the short was so damn moving. Secondly, the story of him bonding with his dad over the old Hindu rituals nearly broke me because of the parallel between the story and my own experiences with my dad. Seriously, it can't be the worst just because you don't understand it. In my eyes, it's one of the best short films Pixar has ever made. What it lacks in inventiveness and technical ability it makes up for in story and heart. This was probably the first time I cried during a Pixar film, which is pretty significant considering Up and Toy Story 3.

RoyalFool

Banned
This was probably the first time I cried during a Pixar film, which is pretty significant considering Up and Toy Story 3.

Interesting, I wonder if I disliked it because it was so alienating - I had no idea who the gods were, what they were doing, what that candle was about, why the noise of the bell seemed so important... I felt like I was in someone else daydream that I couldn't in anyway relate to.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

I didn't care much at all for Inside Out but I enjoyed "Somebody to Lava" plenty.

Interesting, I wonder if I disliked it because it was so alienating - I had no idea who the gods were, what they were doing, what that candle was about, why the noise of the bell seemed so important... I felt like I was in someone else daydream that I couldn't in anyway relate to.

It's plausible. The downside of the story being so intensely personal is because it relates so closely to an Indian kid's childhood. I broke down because the short reminded me of quite a few key moments in my childhood as well as my relationship with my dad, but I can see how not knowing about the deities or the bell or the diya can really skew one's view of the short.

Camjo-Z

I can appreciate the attempt at a more personal story, but I thought it was really boring. The opening was interesting and I thought it was leading to something good, but the Hindu gods turning into superheroes and fighting the evil creature was just dull by-the-numbers action. The bad guy makes some scary faces, they each show off their one power, and... that's all they do.

That all being said... I don't think anything can be worse than Lava, so at least it's got that going for it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I can appreciate the attempt at a more personal story, but I thought it was really boring. The opening was interesting and I thought it was leading to something good, but the Hindu gods turning into superheroes and fighting the evil creature was just dull by-the-numbers action. The bad guy makes some scary faces, they each show off their one power, and... that's all they do.
Same here, but swapping the boring and enjoyable parts. I didn't like the intro and ending, but enjoyed the fight very much.

I still think it's great to see more diversity in the characters, and wouldn't mind seeing more of this stuff in the future, even if I don't particularly enjoy the entirety of it.

That all being said... I don't think anything can be worse than Lava, so at least it's got that going for it.
Now this is something I can't agree with at all. I lavad Lava :(

I thought it was amazing. It's a bit '90s, for sure, so I can see how it wouldn't appeal to youngsters. But I thought the action and theme were gripping, and I was tearing up at the end. It was one of my favorite Pixar shorts.

Lava set the bar so incredibly low for shorts, I thought they were all destined to be terrible if something of that caliber got a pass.

Sanjay really caught me off guard. As the son of an immigrant, it really struck a chord with what it meant to play and idolize these superheroes, but then try to mesh that with the culture of my parents and have a hard time explaining the context to other kids.

Maybe the unexpected poignancy is completely subjective, but I thought it was a really bold auteur effort for Pixar, and it stood out when paired with the blandest film they've ever done.
Yea, it was pretty terrible. Was on my fone after the first minute
Nice.

mrkgoo

I didn't mind Somebody to Lava, but found its logic to be bizarrely inconsistent, but at least found it pretty to look at (lol, much like good dinosaur to be honest). Song was inoffensive to me.

As for Sanjay's Super Team, I found it fantastic.

I loved the idea that kid turning away from tradition and roots because he doesn't get them, until he sees that his gods pretty much are superheroes. I thought it was moving and sweet.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
It's plausible. The downside of the story being so intensely personal is because it relates so closely to an Indian kid's childhood. I broke down because the short reminded me of quite a few key moments in my childhood as well as my relationship with my dad, but I can see how not knowing about the deities or the bell or the diya can really skew one's view of the short.

What do the fighting super gods mean? I assume it's not just a good vs evil thing.

As a second-generation Indian, I loved Sanjay's Super Team. I thought The Good Dinosaur was mediocre, but the short at least made it feel like I didn't waste my money. I honestly got a bit angry reading the responses in this thread dismissing it.

What do the fighting super gods mean? I assume it's not just a good vs evil thing.

Yeah, pretty much. It's been a very long time since I've paid attention to the Hindu deities, but if I remember correctly it was Hanuman, Durga (thanks, SigmasonicX!), and Vishnu fighting against your generic evil demon. They're very prominent figures in Hindu mythology so it makes sense you'd use them as your heroes.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Yeah, pretty much. It's been a very long time since I've paid attention to the Hindu deities, but if I remember correctly it was Hanuman, Kali, and Vishnu fighting against your generic evil demon. They're very prominent figures in Hindu mythology so it makes sense you'd use them as your heroes.

The way you framed it I thought I had missed some deeper meaning. :/
My opinion doesn't change much, I really liked everything around it but the fight was too long, I would have preferred that those five minutes were used to show more of Sanjay and his father interacting.

I didn't know any of those things either but that wasn't really the point. To me it was fairly obvious that what they were showing were religious customs and objects that were important for the father but didn't interest the kid.

There's a widespread phenomenon of children of first-generation immigrants who lose interest and awareness of their heritage, and it often troubles the parents who still identify very closely with their home culture. I thought it was very thoughtful of Pixar to tackle such a complex cultural matter in cartoon form, but sadly I think pretty much the entire message will be lost on multi-generation Americans.

Yeah, pretty much. It's been a very long time since I've paid attention to the Hindu deities, but if I remember correctly it was Hanuman, Kali, and Vishnu fighting against your generic evil demon. They're very prominent figures in Hindu mythology so it makes sense you'd use them as your heroes.

It was Durga, not Kali, but Kali is just another form of Durga, so...
Kali is basically the Hollow Ichigo or Demon Yusuke version of Durga. Except for the myths where she isn't.

I personally found it to be one of my least favorites but then again, I did sort of like the Lava short before Inside Out. That would have been better if they didn't go for the pun. I felt more for the volcano than I did for this kid.

This just felt like they were trying for an award or something.

The way you framed it I thought I had missed some deeper meaning. :/
My opinion doesn't change much, I really liked everything around it but the fight was too long, I would have preferred that those five minutes were used to show more of Sanjay and his father interacting.

Well, the action scene isn't just fighting for fighting's sake. It's symbolic. In the context of the film, the fight scene is an extension of the cartoon Sanjay was seeing. Instead of being the generic no-name heroes, it's those gods fighting against a black ooze taking the form of an Indian rakshasa. It gives Sanjay a point of entry for this vast mythology by likening these gods to superheroes. He connects with this father by taking an interest in the religious ceremony his dad is performing by weaving this story of gods being like superheroes. And his dad feels happy at that because his child cares about what he's doing. The light and the bell are also really important parts of the ritual his dad is performing, but I can't really elaborate more on that because I've been an atheistic kid for a while. But, it's like I said before, the short really gains its power from the personal experiences of the people watching it. Many first-generation and second-gen Indians and Asians grew up in the same way Sanjay in the short did; with this divide between their parent's culture and being a normal American kid. Seeing that portrayed on screen along with the reconciliation of that divide is why I choked up watching it.

Timeless

Sanjay's Super Team more emotionally resonant than The Good Dinosaur? Maybe for those with a Hindu background. Otherwise TGD is much better emotion-wise. The short is some fighting and the classic "two people initially being unable to relate, but then
come together
" story. Day & Night, Partysaurus Rex, and The Blue Umbrella are all better. Isn't La Luna, the short paired with Brave, basically the same framing device? A father and son bond?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom