• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the reveal of SMTVengance, what other JRPGs do you want to see get ported/remastered onto the PS5/XSX/PC?

I've had my eye on Shadow Hearts for quite a while for various reasons but never been able to play it since I can't find my PS2 and don't feel like buying a new one. I'm baffled how it hasn't been remastered on modern consoles already, it looks pretty good and i've heard good things about the game and it's story. Also Lost Odyssey.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
81-P21KwDlL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

near

Gold Member
Breath of Fire IV or Valkyrie Profile 2.

I've had my eye on Shadow Hearts for quite a while for various reasons but never been able to play it since I can't find my PS2 and don't feel like buying a new one. I'm baffled how it hasn't been remastered on modern consoles already, it looks pretty good and i've heard good things about the game and it's story. Also Lost Odyssey.

Shadow Hearts is completely dead, just like the companies that made them. The licence holder, Universal Entertainment filed for bankruptcy last year, fuck knows who will end up holding the SH IP if they end up selling it. You're better off trying to find that PS2 lmao.

Guilty_AI

Not jrpgs, but i want more of old From catalogue.

Mystia izakaya deserves to be on more platforms. I believe they're working on a switch port at least

Touhou-Mystias-Izakaya-Switch_12-16-23-768x426-1.jpg

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Probably licensing hell because the studio went under. Maybe if Penny Blood does well it'll happen.

Just 2.5D it up. Only official Western release on GBA or iOS. What the FUCK.

Last edited:

killatopak

For Megaten, Raido.

.Hack Quadrilogy would be awesome. They are expensive as fuck to buy now.

Xenosaga Trilogy would be a dream.

Pandora's Tower and Last Story would be icing on the cake.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
PanzerDragoonSagaBox.jpg

This one because the 10 people on earth who have played swear it’s great

81AC82YBzEL.jpg

This one because it’s a turn based DBZ game from fuckin Monolith.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Yo! What a nice surprise to learn SMTV-mastered is coming out! I played ~15 hours on a Switch emulator, and it wasn't the best. I might pick this up on Steam.

To answer your question, Super Mario RPG on Steam would be a dream.

All of the Shadow Hearts games
All of the Suikoden games
All of the Breath of Fire games
Persona 1
Persona 2 Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment
Brave Fencer Mushashi
Xenogears/Xenosaga Trilogy
Ar Tonelico Trilogy (Fully Uncensored)
Alundra
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Dino Crisis 1/2
Einhander
Fear Effect 1/2
Jade Cocoon 1/2
Koudelka
Mega Man Legends 1/2
Parasite Eve 1/2
SaGa Frontier 2
Tales of Destiny 1/2
Tales of Phantasia
Thousand Arms
Threads of Fate
Vandal Hearts
Atelier Iris Trilogy
Eternal Poison
Front Mission Games
Magna Carta 1/2
Mana Khemia 1/2
Zone of The Enders 1/2
Trails In the Sky Trilogy
The 3rd Birthday (Uncensored)
Dissidia Final Fantasy Games
Star Ocean 3/4/5/6
Valkyrie Chronicles 2/3
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Jet Grind Radio
Albert Odyssey
Burning Rangers
Dragon Force 1/2
Guardian Heroes
The Legend of Oasis
Magic Knight Rayearth
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Sakura Wars
Shining Force III (All 3 Acts)
Shining Force CD
Fantasy Life
Yokai Watch Trilogy
Dragon Quest VII/VIII/IX
Beyond Good And Evil

Should all be ported to Switch, PS4, PS5, XSX, and Steam/Steamdeck fully uncensored

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

I would prefer ports on Switch or "Switch 2" though.
Ring_of_Red_art_box.jpg

I would also like Digital Devil Saga 1,2, Raidou 1,2, SMT4 and Apocalypse, Devil Survivor 1,2, Devil Summoner Soul Hackers, Strange Journey, Resonance of Fate, Infinite Space, Project X Zone 1,2, The Last Story, Sakura Wars So long My Love, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story.

Last edited:
There is enough JRPGs that they could spend the entire decade porting and remastering and remaking.
I'm waiting for Suikoden 2 remaster since its the best JRPG ever made.

I recently played that one for the first time through emulation. My favorite of the Suikoden games is still 3 followed closely bye 5 and than 2. I'm more excited for Eiyudan Chronicles since it's the spiritual successor to Suikoden.

Last edited:
Chrono trigger
Phantasy Star 1-4
Blue dragon
Earthbound
Vandal hearts
Dragon force
Fire emblem awakening & Fates
X-men legends
Final fantasy 9/10/ pixel version of XV
Kotor
Sonic and the dark brotherhood
Paper Mario color splash
Fantasian
Dungeon dragons Warrior of the eternal sun
Snatcher

LordCBH

Atlus has some other awesome PS2 RPG’s that need the remaster treatment. Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, both Raidou Kuzunoha games,

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim.

Seyken

Absolutely based taste along with some other people in the thread. Throw Shadow Hearts Covenant in while we're at it.

But anyways, to choose something that I think others haven't yet:

dragon-quest-8-button-1641513280289.png

Best Dragon Quest game and it's a travesty that it's stuck on the PS2 and 3DS.

IAmRei

This can be long list but i shorten it:
- Granknight history
Awesome arts, awesome combat, game flow is pretty cool. The game is standard turnbase rpg but with twist and also different approach of explorations.

- lost odyssey
I heard lot of good things for this game. I wish it can be ported to the other system. Havent try it, but the character illustrator is Inoue, one of my fave manga artist. Also the world concept art is mega awesome.

- SMT Digital devil saga duology
The visual style is perfect imo. And the premise and concept is pretty awesome. There are lot of things that separate this game to be different with other rpg, the scifi supranatural and nihilism theme. Captivating at the time.

- oriental blue, ao no tengai
Open world, non linear, feudal japanese rpg. A game where some degree of freedom is the key. You can go anywhere with limitation of collider such as sea or mountain and also beware with enemy levels of course. Lost to a boss? Story continued. Failed to do a quest? Npc died. Late to find or see certain character in xx:xx playtime? Lost that character forever. The gameplay is simple yet solid. Akin to FF8 and DQ, very interesting game. Only in GBA though, and JP vers, but a huge fans made patch.

- Parasite eve 1 & 2
What more to say, Aya brea and unique gameplay at the time is the main drawing power. Also the game presentation is kind of awesome.

- vagrant story
This game is my first taste to true dark fantasy rpg. And the gameplay is very customizable. Although if someday remake will be made, i wish the fashion is not weird like original game : ))

- seventh dragon series
This series is quite underrated back at the time. 7D 2020 1-2 is pretty fine game. The theme is pretty standard at the time, as with many apocalypse rpg. But still, they have unusual interplanetary dragons which seems cool for me.

I think thats all i have in mind right now. I can write essay for this kind of thread XD

Remake/porting/remaster, often mocked as cheap move. But there are lot of people who wants them because they are missed the game, and doesnt want to hunt overpriced used game or doesnt want to emulate it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Pretty amazing that VP2 is still only on PS2 after so many years. Even the first game got ported to other systems including recently.
Y4qpc.gif
what-games-have-your-favorite-art-styles-my-picks-v0-fmzonuu92lg81.gif
oboro-muramasa-muramasa.gif

"look cool" is not even close how describe the awesomeness of this game .
Looks great, shame about the gameplay. You can say that about many games by this studio.

Last edited:
Give me a Saturn Working Designs Collection already, Victor Ireland. Give me those crispier, HD sprites.

And throw in Lunar for good measure.

Hudo

I personally LOOOVED combat in their games....
I recently played demo for Unicorn Overlord and it was awesome and I'm not only thinks that.

This needs to come to PC (as well as all the other Vanillaware games)

Also, Square Enix, I know you're reading GAF: Final Fantasy Tactics Reborn.

Top Bottom