• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

BumRush

No, because Paramount recovered nearly half the production budget from their guaranteed payout in China. Product Placement will pay for a good chunk of the P&A, and $550-600M (or rather, $350M or so outside of China) is enough to cover the rest.

The franchise's future health is flatlining though.

Smart move by Paramount. Wonder if China would be willing to do another large payout for a T6

JeTmAn81

Pfft, Spidey only barely beating Aquaman

latest

mjc

Proud of Wondy and Spidey.

Also happy for Wright getting a hit with Baby Driver. Dude must be over the moon.

Penguin

Man of Steel's budget was seriously $225 million? It had a lot of special effects, I know, but holy shit.

I thought one of those movies that included a bunch of start/stops/pitches between Returns and MoS that get folded into the budget.

Also wasn't a lot of it financed by the ever so subtle product placement?

Jigorath

Banned
Man of Steel's budget was seriously $225 million? It had a lot of special effects, I know, but holy shit.

What's surprising about that?

It was ridiculously effects-heavy. Superman Returns cost nearly $300m. The cape ain't cheap.

Man of Steel probably cost a lot more than what they say it did.

I thought one of those movies that included a bunch of start/stops/pitches between Returns and MoS that get folded into the budget.

Returns was the one that had all the start and stops in the budget, which is why it was so damn expensive.

I thought that Returns's budget being inflated by failed projects like Flyby and Superman Lives.

Schlorgan

JJ Abrams was attached to Returns at one point with a crazy story treatment.
IMDB Trivia said:
Superman Returns (2006)

When offered the director's chair, Bryan Singer rejected J.J. Abrams script as too far a departure from the source material. Abrams story re-imagined Superman as a Kryptonian prince sent to earth as a baby to avoid an impending civil war between king Jor-El and his brother Kata-Zor. Raised as Midwestern teen Clark Kent, and in love with his high school sweetheart Lois, Superman becomes humanity's defender when Kata-Zor invades Earth, aided by CIA Agent Lex Luthor, who is actually a Kryptonian in disguise. The film ended with Superman returning to Krypton to rule over his people after the death of Jor-El. Singer disagreed with these changes to one of America's most well-known characters, and decided instead to pursue a storyline to act as both a sequel, and a remake, which would honor the character's history, as well as the popular films by Richard Donner.

Also, fun fact (not related to Superman): the DOP for Spider-Man 2 & 3 was the DOP for The Matrix, The Jungle Book (2016) and, most recently, Baby Driver.

Top Bottom