• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•21-23•16 - Jack can't reach Madea @ BOO!x office, Joneses can't keep up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

lol holy shit that's bad for Inferno. Also, will this be the worst 1st to 3rd movie drop of all time? Total domestically, Inferno will drop 80% from Da Vinci Code.

No. Studios treat sequels with more respect now (at least from a budget/marketing perspective), but that wasn't always the case. Assuming a $16M opening and $45M finish for Inferno, the drop from the first to third film would be 79.3%

Big Drops that I can think of off the top of my head:

Jaws to Jaws 3D: $260M -> $45.5M
Beverly Hills Cop 1 to 3: $235M -> $43.6M
Exorcist to Exorcist 3: $193M -> $26M
Home Alone to Home Alone 3: $286M -> $30.9M

EDIT: Some others browsing BOM

Look Who's Talking to LWT Now: $140M -> $10M
Blair Witch Project to Blair Witch: $141M -> $20.5M
Porky's to Porky's Revenge - $105M -> $20.5M

EDIT 2: This also ignores films that went on to have a bunch of straight-to-video sequels. For instance, there are 5 Bring it On films.

Zootopia was a bigger surprise success than Dory or Civil War.

And Apple needs to put respect in its iOS spell check. Zootopia is known, but it turns Madea into made a.

mreddie

Zootopia was a bigger surprise success than Dory or Civil War.

And Apple needs to put respect in its iOS spell check. Zootopia is known, but it turns Madea into made a.

Dammit forgot Zootopia

Still this is amazing.

I feel there was another low budget success this year, Don't Breathe right?

kswiston

If Madea claims #1 this weekend, it joins the following list of films this year with two or more first place finishes:

The Force Awakens
Kung Fu Panda 3
Deadpool
Zootopia
Batman v Superman
The Jungle Book
Civil War
Finding Dory
The Secret Life of Pets
Suicide Squad
Don't Breathe
Sully

Madea will end up being the lowest grossing repeat winner out of that group, especially since 9 out of the 12 were over $300M domestic.

There won't be many other repeats for the rest of the year.

Doctor Strange has a shot if it opens high enough and Arrival/Almost Christmas don't break out the following weekend. If not, we will get a new #1 each weekend of November.

Moana has a good shot at repeating in early December, since the two weekends following it are pretty week.

After that it's Rogue One vs the X-Mas openers.

Busty

Banned
Assassin's Creed seems like it will be disappointing at the box office.

Don't quote me but a friend of mine spoke to someone who claimed that there is so little of the Spanish Inquisition sequences in the final project it feels more like a futuristic prison film than a period action piece.

Either way the studio isn't confident.

Litan

Don't quote me but a friend of mine spoke to someone who claimed that there is so little of the Spanish Inquisition sequences in the final project it feels more like a futuristic prison film than a period action piece.

*Sigh*
I like Fassbender. I wanted this to work.

'hey, you know the stuff people really hate about Assassin's Creed?'

'yeah, the future prison/Abstergo shit?'

'yeah let's focus on that'

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Boo! A Madea Halloween - $16.7M (-42%) - $52M total
2) Inferno - $15.0M
3) Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - $9.6M (-58%) - $40M total
4) The Accountant - $8.5M (-38%) - $61M total
5) Ouija: Origin of Evil - $7.1M (-50%) - $25M total

kswiston

From @ERCBoxoffice on twitter

DOCTOR STRANGE's $86M debut overseas is comparatively higher than many recent Marvel flicks. +49% ANT-MAN, +37% GotG, +23% CA: WS.

I guess the _____ will be the first MCU flop game is put on hold again until Black Panther.

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Boo! A Madea Halloween - $16.7M (-42%) - $52M total
2) Inferno - $15.0M
3) Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - $9.6M (-58%) - $40M total
4) The Accountant - $8.5M (-38%) - $61M total
5) Ouija: Origin of Evil - $7.1M (-50%) - $25M total

Oh Inferno...lol.

kswiston

Inferno is Warcrafting its way out of box office disaster territory into box office mediocrity.

$15M domestic, $147M worldwide. 89.8% overseas share

kswiston

Has a film with a black lead or majority black cast ever performed really well overseas?

Black led, yes. 12 Years a slave had nearly a 70% overseas share for example. Will Smith films do well overseas. Black cast with no big white actors? Not as much. I don't know that Creed would have even managed $60M overseas if Stallone wasn't in it (though that film probably would have made less domestically as well). Straight Outta Compton made $40M overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom