• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•22-24•17 - Last Jedi first, Rock settles at 2nd, Pitch 3 strikes out

xaosslug

Ag6ppml.jpg
Ro5S7fa.jpg
oXx89kq.jpg
av90oLz.jpg
MYLbaKZ.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
92% Star Wars: The Last Jedi
9wcOG.gif
77% Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
8mB0Q.gif
29% Pitch Perfect 3
3Pj0x.gif
51% The Greatest Showman
0hJB1.gif
72% Ferdinand
-
aAS8X.gif
51% Downsizing
-
aAS8X.gif
22% Father Figures
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
86% The Post

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Soars to $745 Million Worldwide

Disney-Lucasfilm's ”Star Wars: The Last Jedi" is showing plenty of force at mulitplexes worldwide with $745.4 million globally as of Sunday.

The North American take has hit $365 million in its first 10 days as of Sunday with the studio projecting another $32 million on Christmas Day on Monday — making it the third highest domestic release in 2017 following ”Beauty and the Beast" with $504 million and ”Wonder Woman" at $412 million.

”Stars Wars: The Last Jedi" has totaled $380.3 million in international box office. It is already the top grossing film of 2017 in both Denmark and Sweden and this fourth highest grosser in the overall European market. The U.K. is the top market with $67.4 million, followed by Germany with $40 million, France with $29.3 million and Australia with $26.9 million.

”The Last Jedi," which picks up following the events of 2015's ”Star Wars: The Force Awakens," is so far the 87th highest worldwide grosser of all time, trailing 2016's ”Suicide Squad" by $1.4 million. Rian Johnson directed with Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Lupita Nyong'o and Domhnall Gleeson reprising their roles. It's the final screen role for Fisher, who died a year ago.

”The Last Jedi" has lifted 2017's overall domestic box office to $10.6 billion as of Sunday, 2.6% behind 2016 at the same point, according to comScore. That gap has been as high as 6.1% at the end of August as this year's box office was pulled down by the slowest summer in a decade.

Sony's ”Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" and Universal's ”Pitch Perfect 3" have also opened solidly while Fox's ”The Greatest Showman" is drawing respectably at the domestic box office. Fox also saw an impressive platform debut for awards contender ”The Post." But moviegoers are showing little interest in Paramount's ”Downsizing" and Warner Bros.-Alcon's ”Father Figures."

”As we hit the home stretch of 2017, an incredibly crowded movie marketplace drives a respectable holiday frame as moviegoers faced a daunting decision making process with an almost insurmountable number of movies from which to choose over this holiday season as we head toward the end of one of the craziest and most volatile box office years on record," said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst with comScore.

”Star Wars: The Last Jedi" opened with the second-largest North American launch ever in its first weekend with $220 million. It faced competition for the first time on Dec. 20, with Sony's action comedy ”Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle," which is leading the rest of the pack with $34 million at 3,765 sites for Friday-Sunday and a six-day total of around $64 million.

Josh Greenstein, Sony's president of worldwide marketing and distsribution, pointed to the A- Cinemascore as an indication that ”Jumanji" is attracting all demographics. ”We have incredible momentum as we go into the biggest moviegoing week of the year," he added.

”Jumanji" also opened solidly with $49.5 million in 53 international markets, finishing ahead of ”Star Wars: The Last Jedi" in 28 territories. Its top performance came in the U.K. with a second-place finish at $10.1 million including previews.

Universal's ”Pitch Perfect 3" took in $20.5 million at 3,447 theaters and is on track for $27 million by the end of the four-day period. The threequel brought back the Bellas singing group with Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Hailee Steinfeld, Brittany Snow, Anna Camp and Hana Mae Lee reprising their roles. ”Pitch Perfect 3″also opened with $9.8 million in 14 international markets.

Hugh Jackman's ”The Greatest Showman," a musical take on circus founder P.T. Barnum, grossed $8.6 million at 3,006 venues during Friday-Sunday. The movie, produced by Chernin Entertainment, opened on Dec. 20 and is on track to take in about $18 million in its first six days.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That article really buried The Last Jedi's massive 220m -> 68m drop.

I think this holiday is a unique situation since Christmas Eve is on Sunday, while Christmas (a huge movie day) is on Monday. We'll have more to talk about in that regard on Tuesday.

I'm left wondering why they released Pitch Perfect 3 now. With so many other counter-programming options, I would've held it until January. I'm sure it'll clean up on video either way

luxsol

I think this holiday is a unique situation since Christmas Eve is on Sunday, while Christmas (a huge movie day) is on Monday. We'll have more to talk about in that regard on Tuesday.
So replace Sunday with Monday?

Also, this news is one of the greatest christmas present ever. Movies i dislike failing is always fantastic. Justice League bombing was a great early Christmas gift.

t-storm

Budget of 68 mil for Downsizing? Who keeps greenlighting these budgets for movies no one is going to watch?

*thinks back to Suburbicon*

Only had a budget of 25 but didn’t even make half that back.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Budget of 68 mil for Downsizing? Who keeps greenlighting these budgets for movies no one is going to watch?

He's been having a bad stretch recently. Bourne revival was a dud, nobody in the US noticed The Great Wall, Suburbicon and Downsizing being commercial bombs while also having like zero award chances. He needs another The Martian STAT

shira

1. Payne is a two-time winner of the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay, and a three-time nominee of the Academy Award for Best Director.

2. Exec Producer Diana Pokorny http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0688694/

Sorcerer

The news is always getting better.

Also, i like how Rogue One made 32 million on its second Monday when everyone goes back to work and the Last Jedi only made 27 million on a day off for everyone.

The fatigue is setting in. We have had two main movies and a spin-off 3 years in a row. The movies will quickly become non-events over time.

Yes they will continue to make money, but you cannot have your cake and eat it too. There will be diminishing returns over time.

luxsol

The fatigue is setting in. We have had two main movies and a spin-off 3 years in a row. The movies will quickly become non-events over time.

Yes they will continue to make money, but you cannot have your cake and eat it too. There will be diminishing returns over time.

This is going to be the popular excuse now, huh?
I'm already seeing people saying Solo movie is going to be suffering from fatigue. So it's going to be "SEE? SEE? IT IS FATIGUE" despite various places talking about how poorly it came together and apparently Disney writing it off as a bomb.
Of course, they pretty much said the same thing about Wonder Woman and that went well for them... i hated it though.

Still, bad word of mouth is likely the reason for sales falling off as much as it did. If it was actual fatigue, it wouldn't have opened as big as it did.

So does me writing off Episode 9 because of TFA being mediocre as fuck and TLJ bringing next to zero excitement count as fatigue?
As much as i hated so many things about TFA, i saw that there was enough material in it to create something interesting in the sequel, especially with a new director taking the helm. So i pretty much went in blind for TLJ: no trailers, avoiding discussions and threads talking about SW, so i'd genuinely be surprised and have no real expectations besides what happenedin the last movie.
TLJ killed all my interest in this trilogy. There's nothing left besides good winnin in the next film. I already know what to expect from Jar Jar Abrams, so he'll offer nothing that'll excite me either just from watching the film.

So now I'll probably only watch the Solo movie, based mostly on trailers and what people will be saying. I'm not going to bother with episode 9 in 2019.

So i don't think this is fatigue either, even if sales drop off... this is just plain bad movie avoidance. I'd give another side story like Rogue One a chance, but I'm very distrustful with LucasFilm now. No more blind viewings like i had been with other Star Wars films.
Or does bad movie avoidance count as fatigue?

JimiNutz

Banned

Usually I would completely agree with you but what about the MCU? Marvel pumps out 2-3 movies a YEAR and people still aren't fatigued. This year alone we got Spider-Man, Thor 3 and Guardians 2 and people fucking ate that shit up.

Star Wars could easily do this as well, the problem is the quality of the new movies not the quantity.

You're telling me people wouldn't eat up a trilogy of Knights of the Old Republic films, or a movie about a group of Mandelorian Bounty Hunters, or an Obi Wan film, or a Rogue Squadron movie? Instead we are stuck with poor imitations of old Star Wars movies, which is why people are now so quickly bored.

I saw TFA 3 times in the cinema but I don't see myself going to see TLJ again, it just isn't a fun enough film and goes on way too long, it doesn't surprise me if it's legs aren't as good. They needed to take a hacksaw to that chase part of the story to make it feel less like a drag to sit through.

Sorcerer

Usually I would completely agree with you but what about the MCU? Marvel pumps out 2-3 movies a YEAR and people still aren't fatigued. This year alone we got Spider-Man, Thor 3 and Guardians 2 and people fucking ate that shit up.

Star Wars could easily do this as well, the problem is the quality of the new movies not the quantity.

You're telling me people wouldn't eat up a trilogy of Knights of the Old Republic films, or a movie about a group of Mandelorian Bounty Hunters, or an Obi Wan film, or a Rogue Squadron movie? Instead we are stuck with poor imitations of old Star Wars movies, which is why people are now so quickly bored.

Due to the diversity of the characters, I'd argue the MCU could at least always attempt to stretch out. Star Wars is so one note. It's going to wear out its welcome sooner or later. Jedi coming to terms with their power, Death Star. JJ will most likely blow up a Death Star to conclude the trilogy.. Most alien races you see in Star Wars are regulated to Cantina scenes.

I remember months ago on these forums people were predicting this movie would top Force Awakens. I got some flak for saying that is impossible. I predicted it would place just above Rogue One (domestically). Even I think I overestimated. Last Jedi will be below Rogue One, I suspect.

Grizzlyjin

The news is always getting better.

Also, i like how Rogue One made 32 million on its second Monday when everyone goes back to work and the Last Jedi only made 27 million on a day off for everyone.

I don't know what to make of The Last Jedi results. People are saying the franchise should course correct, but The Last Jedi is already the second highest grossing movie of 2017 and doesn't have that far to go to be #1.

There might be some fatigue, but I wouldn't say Star Wars fatigue so much as middle chapter fatigue. People get hyped for the opener, trail off for the middle, come back for the finale. I'm wondering what the reception towards Solo will be. That has a major uphill battle with the core fanbase, and we've seen huge movies stumble during Memorial Day weekend. Not to mention that China couldn't care less about Star Wars, so they can't "save" it if the domestic numbers are weak.

Razorback

Just watched the trailer. Looks original and interesting. The execution may be lacking which explains the mediocre reviews, but I see nothing wrong with the premise. I'd watch it.

luxsol

I don't know what to make of The Last Jedi results. People are saying the franchise should course correct, but The Last Jedi is already the second highest grossing movie of 2017 and doesn't have that far to go to be #1.

There might be some fatigue, but I wouldn't say Star Wars fatigue so much as middle chapter fatigue.
Yeah, no.
Fatigue would mean it wouldn't have opened as one of the largest grossing movies ever.
Sales dropping off as much as they did really only comes from bad word of mouth.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand, unless you think The Last Jedi is one of the greatest Star Wars movies of all time. Then that's quite a disconnect.

When I first seen TLJ I thought it was good but then as it stewed in my mind it cooled off and when I seen it a 2nd time I realize its not that good.

Star Wars needs a course correction ASAP. With the way TLJ ended I would hope JJ Abrams kinda turns Episode IX into a tad of a Return of the Jedi rehash. As that would be famular territory. TLJ tried way too many risks just to say it took risks. JJ was gave the keys to Rian Johnston only for him to return the Car back to JJ as a dumpster fire.

Grizzlyjin

Yeah, no.
Fatigue would mean it wouldn't have opened as one of the largest grossing movies ever.
Sales dropping off as much as they did really only comes from bad word of mouth.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand, unless you think The Last Jedi is one of the greatest Star Wars movies of all time. Then that's quite a disconnect.

"Yeah, no" to what part? Empire made less than New Hope and Return of the Jedi. Attack of the Clones made less than Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith. We've done this dance before. Word of mouth is a factor, maybe hearing about the darker tone pushed families towards Jumanji, which over performed by quite a bit. I just don't know if I'd hit the panic button when the first and third movie seem to do better with these films.

luxsol

"Yeah, no" to what part? Empire made less than New Hope and Return of the Jedi. Attack of the Clones made less than Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith. We've done this dance before. Word of mouth is a factor, maybe hearing about the darker tone pushed families towards Jumanji, which over performed by quite a bit. I just don't know if I'd hit the panic button when the first and third movie seem to do better with these films.

Yeah, no to the part that my next sentence talked about.

So no, it's not fatigue, because fatique would mean people wouldn't be lining up they way they did making it one of hte largest grossing openings ever.

And you're way too beholden to the past repeating itself. It doesn't always, especially in this day and age where we're seeing sequels out doing previous movies. The drops in gross by day shows it very clearly that it's word of mouth and less to do with fatigue. Go look at Avengers 1 and 2 and how much less Age of Ultron made.
You don't call that superhero fatigue or sequelitis, because it's more like quality matters or word of mouth, because Marvel movies since then continue raking in a ton of money.

Top Bottom