• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Hollywood’s Biggest Misses Are Hits Overseas

kswiston

I agree with your last sentence. But I find it hard to reconcile this post with your previous interventions in this thread, like these examples:

You were clearly making a pretty harsh judgment call. And popular cinema all around the world is always aimed at wide audiences, that's why it's called popular cinema.

It takes two minutes to look through annual box office lists for the various foreign territories to prove the "foreign audiences have better taste" stuff bullshit anyhow. People should post their country when making those statements so that I can post their 2016 box office list as a rebuttal.

Every country likes explosions.

caliph95

It takes two minutes to look through annual box office lists for the various foreign territories to prove the "foreign audiences have better taste" stuff bullshit anyhow. People should post their country when making those statements so that I can post their 2016 box office list as a rebuttal.

Do me Nigeria

1-The Secret Life of Pets
2- Suicide Squad
3- Finding Dory
4- Zootopia
5- Deadpool
6- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
7- Revenant
8- Batman vs Superman
9 - Ice Age
10- Angry Birds

We love 3d animated movies (5).

caliph95

Do me Nigeria
1. The Wedding Party (Nigerian Movie) – N203 million
2. A Trip to Jamaica – N178.5 million
3. Batman Vs Superman – N140 million
4. Captain America – N119 million
5. Suicide Squad – N116 million
6. London Has Fallen – N90 million
7. Doctor Strange – N85 million
8. God’s of Egypt – N80 million
9. Mechanic Ressurection – N75 million
10. ’76 – N72 million

Pagusas

Elden Member
im curious, how does China's middle class compare to the US's middle class? Are the similar spending power or are they weighted based on the individual societies definition of rich and poor?

I said just fatigue or ratings. We've already established Americans viewing habbits arent dictated by RT% and originality so im not sure what you are still going on about.
Maybe you want to say Americans have very selective fatigue when it suits a narrative.

Um, you're the one bringing up RT, not me. As for establishing American viewing habits based on originality, as far as I can see you haven't established anything. Feel free to correct me though. And you're the one who brought up reception in regards to fatigue, not me. I'm talking about franchise fatigue affecting sales, and that the movies your brought up only further my argument, as they can be seen as a less severe result of that same fatigue.

It looks like you're the one trying to spin a narrative, and not doing a good job of it. You appear to have realized this and are trying to weasel out of the discussion, so go ahead. Throw some more words in my mouth and be on your way.

kswiston

im curious, how does China's middle class compare to the US's middle class? Are the similar spending power or are they weighted based on the individual societies definition of rich and poor?

The cutoff to be "middle class" in China is lower than it is in the US, but there are still a lot of people making good money, even by western definitions.

This is from 2012. China's GDP has grown a good amount since then, but here's what the monthly income breakdown looked like 5 years ago

1372735570702_eChart8_458426.jpg

30k RMB a month is over $4k USD a month (or >$50k a year). So 12% were making at least that 5 years now. The percentage is significantly higher now.

I think that the median household income in the US is about $50k a year. If you figure that China has 1.37B people, there are more people in China making above average US wages than there are in the US now.

Also factor in the fact that the average Chinese have way less debt.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The cutoff to be "middle class" in China is lower than it is in the US, but there are still a lot of people making good money, even by western definitions.

This is from 2012. China's GDP has grown a good amount since then, but here's what the monthly income breakdown looked like 5 years ago

1372735570702_eChart8_458426.jpg

30k RMB a month is over $4k USD a month (or >$50k a year). So 12% were making at least that 5 years now. The percentage is significantly higher now.

I think that the median household income in the US is about $50k a year. If you figure that China has 1.37B people, there are more people in China making above average US wages than there are in the US now.

Also factor in the fact that the average Chinese have way less debt.

Crazy. That too me is the real test for them as a rising super power and it looks like they are already there (Middle class wise). How are mortgages/home debt handled in China? Given that the major debt in the US is Mortgage, Student Loan and Medical debt, I'd be very curious to see how china handles property debt (all that new construction cant be cheap, and if people are just now coming into money, where is the savings to support a $200k+ home)

Toa TAK

Banned
Different language and culture. Different type of localization for those countries. As another poster said, they don't count Mexico when referring to North American box office despite Mexico being part of North America.

Honestly, that makes sense. Threw me off a bit, though.

kswiston

Crazy. That too me is the real test for them as a rising super power and it looks like they are already there (Middle class wise). How are mortgages/home debt handled in China? Given that the major debt in the US is Mortgage, Student Loan and Medical debt, I'd be very curious to see how china handles property debt (all that new construction cant be cheap, and if people are just now coming into money, where is the savings to support a $200k+ home)

China has super high homeowner rates (90% overall). Even among young people, the ownership rate is really high

_95482872_millennials_home_ownership_624_s-2.png

The biggest difference is that North Americans have a "self-made person" ideal, where each generation raises their kids while they are kids, but expect said kids to be largely on their own when they are adults. Young people have to start with limited help, and work themselves up over several decades. Chinese parents are much more likely to buy their kids' their first home (or at least make the down payments).

Also, since their birth restriction policies messed up the sex ratios, there is pressure on young men to own a home if they hope to get married in a lot of areas. So mom and dad need to set them up if they want those grandkids.

China's growing influence on American movies is pretty obvious. I don't mind though, since we're getting Pacific Rim 2 (even though the rumors aren't so great) out of it and an American Godzilla movie series.

Falchion

Eventually the American blockbuster intrigue of these movies will wear thin internationally as well and then execs will have to pivot again.

Jezan

Why doesn't the rest of the world care when a movie is bad
Because they see movies as entertainment, they don't want to be bored with political stuff or ______ drama.

And for the real stupid stuff (Adam Sandler and co. movies) , America has them covered.

Top Bottom