• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox and Windows NT 3.5 source code leaks online

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Microsoft’s original Xbox console source code has leaked online, alongside code for a version of Windows NT 3.5. The Xbox source code includes the kernel for the operating system on the original console, a custom version of Windows 2000. We can confirm the leaked Xbox OS is genuine, and appeared online earlier this month. “We’re aware of these reports and are investigating,” a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement to The Verge.
Alongside the Xbox leak, source code for a near-final version of Windows NT 3.5 has also appeared online. The source code includes all the necessary build tools, and should allow enthusiasts to dig into the old operating system. As Windows NT 3.5 support ended in December 2001, the operating system is only used in a small number of systems worldwide so a source code leak isn’t a significant security issue.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
A number of emulators exist for the Xbox, including CXBX, XQEMU, and CXBX Reloaded, but most have struggled to emulate the original Xbox OS and kernel. Microsoft developed the first Xbox with x86 hardware in mind, but the Xbox kernel was based on a custom and stripped down version of Windows 2000 with DirectX 8 support.
Unofficial emulators have tried to replicate this kernel for years, but so far only around 40 games have limited emulation support compared to the 900 games available for the original Xbox. Microsoft has its own proprietary emulation for Xbox and Xbox 360 games, but it’s only currently available on Xbox One consoles and not on Windows PCs.
PS: 900 Original Xbox Games backwards compatible in the Xbox 360, not Xbox One.
Microsoft has largely protected its proprietary Windows and Xbox source code over the years. Partial Windows 2000 and NT 4 source code leaked back in 2004, and even some Windows 10 source code was posted online in 2017. We asked Microsoft to comment on the Windows NT 3.5 source code leak, but the company says it has nothing to share about this particular incident.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Didn't the Xbox kernel source already leak years ago? I think that was how the "debug kernel on retail xboxes" was built...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why just not say that they release it. Since like who cares at this point from corporate standpoint?

I'm sure that isn't going to stop anyone.
Reverse engineer it to learn, re write it in your own code and it can never be proved that it was reverse engineered in the 1st place.

If Microsoft took action and they try to prove you've used the code as a reference, then you'll end paying the price.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

If Microsoft took action and they try to prove you've used the code as a reference, then you'll end paying the price.
Which they will never do. They are genius that were struck with divine inspiration to write the code.
These things are hard to prove if the code isn't copied, MS wouldn't waste money with something they know they would never win. If it was the XSX sdk probably, but for the original Xbox its a waste of time.

Top Bottom