• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox need to make an elite V3 with GYRO as a feature!

Tams

They could, but they won't this generation as a gyro is something fundamentally different that you either need to support from the beginning or just not support.

It's like Sony and their haptics, adaptive triggers, and trackpad or Nintendo and their HD Rumble and split controller. They included them in their initial consoles as otherwise too many developers would just not use the features and any additional peripherals would not see widespread support. And even then Sony at least have had trouble getting developers to use the features; but at least they can say every single PS5 owner has the hardware for it. The same for Nintendo.

Back paddles/buttons aren't the same, as they are mostly just alternatives to the face buttons.

Last edited:

GenericUser

They need to make an elite 3 that does not develop stick drift or unresponsive face buttons. If they are not able to do that, they can keep their overpriced trash.

Robb

Gold Member
Too much Splatoon talk in here. Gyro works amazing in BotW for the abilities as well as aiming. It can be really good for games outside of the FPS/TPS genre.

DOOM, Wolfenstein 2 and Skyrim on Switch all have fantastic gyro controls as well which makes it even more of a shame MS doesn’t use it considering those franchises are locked to MS now.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Nah fuck that, I'm good, thanks. They should use higher quality components though. Especially permanent magnets for sticks instead of shitty potentiometers. Same with buttons; Not high enough quality (though to be fair it's a general issue in the industry).

Last edited:
It's an extremely niche feature that the vast majority of customers don't care about and wouldn't use....

But, you could say the same thing about paddles, adjustable stick tension, custom controller profiles, etc..

So yeah, I'd agree that it would make sense for an Elite 3 to have it.
Unless you've played Splatoon Or Zelda on the Switch or played an FPS on the Steam Deck you wouldn't have known gyro would be such a nice feature.

I truly belive if MS made this a thing using a similar method to how Valve implemented it into the deck with the capacitive touch to enable. Giving users the ability to have it enabled or disabled depending on the game. I could really see if take off.

It's made me prefer playing Halo on the Steam Deck than on my XSX. Heck even pulling off a drive by in GTAV is much better with gyro enabled.

Last edited:
gyro won't do anything if developers don't support it tho.
Been using it with Steam deck and it's custom controller profiles doesn't require dev's to touch a thing from what I've seen if you want basic gyro.

Can use community made profiles or just enable it without the need to apply a custom profile made by someone else.

I'm pretty sure xbox released the controller profile software way back but I never really used it because it only had basic remapping at the time.

Kvally

Banned
I had zero issues with my Elite 1 and Elite 2. I now I have the Elite 2 Core and no issues with that either. If we get an Elite 3, I will buy it. I just wouldn’t use gyro.

Supple

Banned
I won't buy another Elite controller until they implement hall effect sensing sticks. I've already had series 1 and 2 elite controllers both develop left stick drift and the right bumpers get stuck.

DanEON

Tried it once in days gone, hated it, never used it again.
Gyro aim on consoles or when it is native supported by the game, is a complete garbage. Its laggy, its stuttery and lacks adjustments.
If you want a good gyro experience, you should use it on Steam.
The only good gyro aim I've seen on consoles is from GOW Ragnarok.

GymWolf

Gyro aim on consoles or when it is native supported by the game, is a complete garbage. Its laggy, its stuttery and lacks adjustments.
If you want a good gyro experience, you should use it on Steam.
The only good gyro aim I've seen on consoles is from GOW Ragnarok.
People said good things about days gone gyroaim and that's why i tried that one.

But it is not a matter of precision, it just looks silly and i hate aiming by moving my wrist, it is not relaxing.

Last edited:

DanEON

People said good things about days gone gyroaim and that's why i tried that one.

But it is not a matter of precision, it just looks silly and i hate aiming by moving my wrist, it is not relaxing.
I completed Days Gone using gyro and I didnt like it because of the same reason as you, its lacks adjustments, so you need a lot of hand motion to aim. On steam you can adjust it to be very sensitive, so you can aim with very little hand motion. You can even change sensitive on the go, for moments wher you need a very precise aim. You should try it on steam before giving up on Gyro.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I completed Days Gone using gyro and I didnt like it because of the same reason as you, its lacks adjustments, so you need a lot of hand motion to aim. On steam you can adjust it to be very sensitive, so you can aim with very little hand motion. You can even change sensitive on the go, for moments wher you need a very precise aim. You should try it on steam before giving up on Gyro.
I just hate the concept of moving my wrist to aim.

(Except with vr)

Last edited:

Banned

the gyro aim in days gone is ok at best.
it has smoothing and is pretty slow even on high settings

krumble

gyro won't do anything if developers don't support it tho.

what they should do is improve their controller settings for all controllers

I want negative deadzone settings, and precise reaction curve settings (not the limited presets they currently have).

with these 2 things alone people could literally fix controller issues in many shooters, including RE4, manually without relying on incompetent devs
Microsoft would just have to expand the elite accessories app to be able to map gyro like valve does with steam input, you can add gyro aiming to any game that way

Banned
Microsoft would just have to expand the elite accessories app to be able to map gyro like valve does with steam input, you can add gyro aiming to any game that way

as I said in another post, that works on PC because on PC you emulate a mouse.
emulating a mouse with a gyroscope works perfectly.

on console this wouldn't be as easy to do. while there are plenty of games on Xbox that support mouse input, more than on PS5 at least, but not that many all things considered either, most games still do not support mouse.

this means in the majority of games you would need to map the gyro to the right analog stick, and emulating an analog stick with a gyroscope will feels like absolute ass in many games.

it would work well in Apex Legends and older Call of Duty games.
it wouldn't work well in something like Resident Evil 4 Remake however, due to the deadzone that's not adjustable and gigantic, due to the aim Acceleration, and due to the extremely wide reaction curve.

even in games like Apex Legends, there's usually a maximal turn speed, this would also lead to really weird feeling gyro controls.

so in short, yes they could do that, but in most games you would need to emulate a stick, and emulating a stick feels like ass if you don't have a small deadzone, a linear reaction curve, no acceleraton, and a really fast maximal turn speed.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

We will see the Elite 3 just before the next Xbox comes out, and it will be missing features that are standard on the regular new Xbox controller at the time. The Elite is an Xbox One controller. WTF is going on at MS? By now I should be able to design an Elite 3 in the design lab, not a 2. LOL!!!

Top Bottom