• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yes Ninja Gaiden Aracde works on Ninja Gaiden Black on Xbox One X and other observations

dave_d

I've finally finished this game on normal and noticed nobody answered the question, "Can you play Ninja Gaiden Arcade if you get all the scarabs?" Well now we have an answer which is yes it actually works. (I think I read playing it on the 360 that it didn't work) Anyway I thought I'd give my impression of playing this. Word of warning, there might be some spoilers.(Come on the game came out in 2005 so no complaining. That would be like complaining that someone told you the last boss in a Zelda game was Gannon. Oh wait, someone did that to me.)
  • This game isn't actually that hard.(It didn't need a Ninja Dog mode)
I know the game has a huge reputation for being one of the most brutal games ever. I know when I originally tried playing it back when I first bought it (in 2006) I thought the first level was enough of a challenge that I didn't dare go any further.(I let it psych me out) Then later on I basically heard that if you can beat the first level you can beat the game and Murai is one of the harder bosses. Yeah, both of those are pretty much true. There were only 3 bosses I couldn't beat the first time I faced them, Doku, Spirit Doku, and Awakened Alma. Over my time as a gamer I've played many games that were much harder than this one on normal, like the original Ninja Gaiden on the NES. Admittedly if you play it on the harder modes or with handicaps like speed runs it's definitely a challenge. But just playing it on normal just trying to finish it, the game isn't that hard. And what was it that made the game very beatable?
  • Do people not get the concept of grinding?
I mean there's so many opportunities to kill guys who regenerate. Furthermore on normal bats are an easy source of health. After level 6 or 7 I had enough money to max out my potions which makes the game so much easier. Sure I backtracked a lot so my time sucked but hey I never got truly stuck. If you make it a point to have a healthy stock of potions (and talismans) you should have enough time to figure out how to fight bosses so you an defeat them.(Oh the last level you can climb the stairs with fire wheels and the dragon sword and the armlet of fortune and slaughter ghost fish to recharge both health and ninpo)
  • Yeah the game kind of clicks on level 6
Yes, someone else that gave me a heads up about playing this game told me that. That's pretty much true. Starting around chapter 6 I was playing more instinctual and not think about as much what I wanted to do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly good or anything, just after level 6 blocking became fairly automatic s did other moves.
  • What was it that killed me the most?
Pits that I'd fall to my death. That killed me more than anything else. I will say I'm not a fan of platforming in this game. Hell, my least favorite level was chapter 16 with that blind jump. I missed that so many times and on top of it that level has a section that's timed. Definitely not a fan of that.(Yeah, the original NG had platforming so I should have expected it here.)
  • What did I think of the gameplay?
The thing it played most like was a fighting game. I mean you have to be concerned with invincibility frames, blocking, guard breaks/crushes, and inertial. Usually it your standard action game you don't have to worry about any of that. I figure if I kept playing it I'd get better for the same reason I'd get better at fighting games. Not better reflexes but being better able to anticipate the enemy.
  • This is not a game you can zone out and take casual
What I mean is this is a game where if you don't take it seriously it will punish you. Even the earliest of enemies will punish you for that. Or for being greedy. Oh man did they punish me when I tried to do a UT instead of just going for the ET
  • What did I wish was different about the game
Pretty much I wish they swapped the default camera. (The first thing I did in every game is switch camera styles by pushing in the right stick. The default camera sucks.) Also I wish there was a training option. I mean the only reason I learned about ET/UT is someone on this board told me about it so I looked it up. Oh, you don't have to use it but there are definitely times when it comes in handy.(I definitely wished there was a mode where I could test out moves and combos)
  • Finally favorite moment
At the end of the Fiend Murai fight. I was blasting him a lot with magic and at the end I finished him with..........................holy crap I beat him with a gleaming blade and I actually meant to do it.(That was rush and a fitting end.)

Anyway I figure another NGB thread can't be bad and now we have an answer to that age old question. (Yes arcade works. I probably should try it out on my Series X to see if it works there too.)

dave_d

Oh I should mention one other thing. I really should have played this game when I was younger. I'm in my 50s now so my reflexes aren't as good and I don't have the stamina I once did to play games for hours on end. (My game time is usually in chunks of 1/2-1hr) So yeah, this is a game a 50 year old can beat. (What's your excuse?)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's been a while since I've played the game, but after revisiting Ninja Gaiden Black in 2014, it was pretty much cemented as a top 5 game of all time for me. The combat system feels so, so good without turning into the endless juggle nonsense of stuff like DMC and Bayonetta. While more divisive, I also really like how the game feels like an adventure - the ever-changing environments give you a satisfying feeling of progression, and I like that there are a few moments where you aren't just locked in an enclosed space, fighting enemies.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if the game is still amazing today. It was probably a bit of a fluke, given the games that followed, but I'm really glad they struck gold with NG and perfected it with Black.

bender

What time is it?
You mentioned bat farming so I have nothing to add.

Elvis-Presley-in-Military-Uniforms-ingrids-graceland-37401772-245-140.gif

CamHostage

Oh, I read the headline thinking you were going to give observations about Ninja Gaiden Arcade. Then I saw a wall of text and thought, "I mean, hanging off a lightpole and kicking dudes in the face is some straight-up Gymkata, so there's that, but what else, what else..."

lZjoZrWz_PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT4_176702.jpg

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I do a handful of things whenever I play Ninja Gaiden and that’s jump and roll to truly look like a ninja and I jump slash to decapitate enemies. I’ve added charged attacks for massive damage. The whole jump forward, roll, jump, roll thing was to gain more ground. I always wondered if anyone else had to do that technique when playing NG.

One of my favorite games of all time along with NG2 on 360. I wish I could just buy NG3 RE remastered separately from the collection because I ain’t buying that Sigma bullshit. Oh well I’ll just stick with the WiiU version for that because it’s not really worth buying again anyways.

b7vd4Zo.gif

I do a handful of things whenever I play Ninja Gaiden and that’s jump and roll to truly look like a ninja and I jump slash to decapitate enemies. I’ve added charged attacks for massive damage. The whole jump forward, roll, jump, roll thing was to gain more ground. I always wondered if anyone else had to do that technique when playing NG.
Definitely the fastest way to get around.

It's been a while since I've played the game, but after revisiting Ninja Gaiden Black in 2014, it was pretty much cemented as a top 5 game of all time for me. The combat system feels so, so good without turning into the endless juggle nonsense of stuff like DMC and Bayonetta. While more divisive, I also really like how the game feels like an adventure - the ever-changing environments give you a satisfying feeling of progression, and I like that there are a few moments where you aren't just locked in an enclosed space, fighting enemies.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if the game is still amazing today. It was probably a bit of a fluke, given the games that followed, but I'm really glad they struck gold with NG and perfected it with Black.
I absolutely love the adventure feel of this game, but outside of dodging I think that Ninja Gaiden 2 has far better menus, camera, platforming, and fighting mechanics.

I need to see if there are mods for Sigma on PC to Black-ify it.
Sigma was not butchered to begin with (unlike NGS2), but the PC port lacks some features of the PS3 release. The mods can restore those things and it actually features a few upgrades over the original (as well as a mixed bag of level alterations). However, the black mod is purely superficial and does not really address the biggest changes between the versions.

I've finally finished this game on normal and noticed nobody answered the question, "Can you play Ninja Gaiden Arcade if you get all the scarabs?" Well now we have an answer which is yes it actually works. (I think I read playing it on the 360 that it didn't work) Anyway I thought I'd give my impression of playing this. Word of warning, there might be some spoilers.(Come on the game came out in 2005 so no complaining. That would be like complaining that someone told you the last boss in a Zelda game was Gannon. Oh wait, someone did that to me.)
  • This game isn't actually that hard.(It didn't need a Ninja Dog mode)
I know the game has a huge reputation for being one of the most brutal games ever. I know when I originally tried playing it back when I first bought it (in 2006) I thought the first level was enough of a challenge that I didn't dare go any further.(I let it psych me out) Then later on I basically heard that if you can beat the first level you can beat the game and Murai is one of the harder bosses. Yeah, both of those are pretty much true. There were only 3 bosses I couldn't beat the first time I faced them, Doku, Spirit Doku, and Awakened Alma. Over my time as a gamer I've played many games that were much harder than this one on normal, like the original Ninja Gaiden on the NES. Admittedly if you play it on the harder modes or with handicaps like speed runs it's definitely a challenge. But just playing it on normal just trying to finish it, the game isn't that hard. And what was it that made the game very beatable?
  • Do people not get the concept of grinding?
I mean there's so many opportunities to kill guys who regenerate. Furthermore on normal bats are an easy source of health. After level 6 or 7 I had enough money to max out my potions which makes the game so much easier. Sure I backtracked a lot so my time sucked but hey I never got truly stuck. If you make it a point to have a healthy stock of potions (and talismans) you should have enough time to figure out how to fight bosses so you an defeat them.(Oh the last level you can climb the stairs with fire wheels and the dragon sword and the armlet of fortune and slaughter ghost fish to recharge both health and ninpo)
  • Yeah the game kind of clicks on level 6
Yes, someone else that gave me a heads up about playing this game told me that. That's pretty much true. Starting around chapter 6 I was playing more instinctual and not think about as much what I wanted to do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly good or anything, just after level 6 blocking became fairly automatic s did other moves.
  • What was it that killed me the most?
Pits that I'd fall to my death. That killed me more than anything else. I will say I'm not a fan of platforming in this game. Hell, my least favorite level was chapter 16 with that blind jump. I missed that so many times and on top of it that level has a section that's timed. Definitely not a fan of that.(Yeah, the original NG had platforming so I should have expected it here.)
  • What did I think of the gameplay?
The thing it played most like was a fighting game. I mean you have to be concerned with invincibility frames, blocking, guard breaks/crushes, and inertial. Usually it your standard action game you don't have to worry about any of that. I figure if I kept playing it I'd get better for the same reason I'd get better at fighting games. Not better reflexes but being better able to anticipate the enemy.
  • This is not a game you can zone out and take casual
What I mean is this is a game where if you don't take it seriously it will punish you. Even the earliest of enemies will punish you for that. Or for being greedy. Oh man did they punish me when I tried to do a UT instead of just going for the ET
  • What did I wish was different about the game
Pretty much I wish they swapped the default camera. (The first thing I did in every game is switch camera styles by pushing in the right stick. The default camera sucks.) Also I wish there was a training option. I mean the only reason I learned about ET/UT is someone on this board told me about it so I looked it up. Oh, you don't have to use it but there are definitely times when it comes in handy.(I definitely wished there was a mode where I could test out moves and combos)
  • Finally favorite moment
At the end of the Fiend Murai fight. I was blasting him a lot with magic and at the end I finished him with..........................holy crap I beat him with a gleaming blade and I actually meant to do it.(That was rush and a fitting end.)

Anyway I figure another NGB thread can't be bad and now we have an answer to that age old question. (Yes arcade works. I probably should try it out on my Series X to see if it works there too.)
Yes, the Arcade game works on Series consoles, but to be honest I would prefer the NES games from the original release as this one is terrible. One of the best improvements in Sigma is the camera system. I recommend playing the game on Hard difficulty to really diversify it from other games in the series and genre with its altered enemies. While there is no training mode, there are challenges in the unlockable Mission Mode that are sure to bring you up to speed.

My least favorite part of the game is the Chamber of the Blue Eye archery time trial as it is filled with obnoxious hazards and usually requires several attempts due to tricky timing. The ghul archers on three platforms inside Underground Cemetary when going back up is a close second. Even if you take out two, if the third one hits you, you fall to the bottom and have to do it all over again as they respawn. My favorite part is when you reach Tairon and make your way from Han's bar to the Dworku Monastery on Hard mode. A close second is the introductory chapter with Murai on any difficulty as it is so memorable. If the Sigma version is taken into consideration, the upgraded airship segment takes second place. The main deck in particular is gorgeous. Here it is for reference:

Last edited:

stn

Its this or Morrowind for my favorite game ever. I was top 500 on the NGB leaderboards way back in the day. Wish I could download Intercept again for vanilla NG, I was a fool and deleted it many years ago.

Its this or Morrowind for my favorite game ever. I was top 500 on the NGB leaderboards way back in the day. Wish I could download Intercept again for vanilla NG, I was a fool and deleted it many years ago.
Damn shame it didn't return in other versions. Intercept is a great mechanic.

Man it's kind of crazy to think about this game. I was born in 1987 and my first own game was Ninja Gaiden 1 on the NES. I think I was around 3 years old when I first started playing it. I would make it to the end of the game and never could beat the last boss. Then when I heard that they were making Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox, I was so hyped. The game is actually how I met my wife, nearly 20 years ago when we were just teenagers. She was at a LAN party my cousin and I had, and she was really into the DOA games. When she saw it, she was so excited to try it. She beat the whole god damn game in one sitting, needless to say I was in love lol here we are now in our mid 30s having our first child next month. I can't wait to share the Ninja Gaiden games with her too.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Black and NG2 are probably one of them best action games of all time, black imo a better game, the games are hard but it all comes down to reflexes

Man it's kind of crazy to think about this game. I was born in 1987 and my first own game was Ninja Gaiden 1 on the NES. I think I was around 3 years old when I first started playing it. I would make it to the end of the game and never could beat the last boss. Then when I heard that they were making Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox, I was so hyped. The game is actually how I met my wife, nearly 20 years ago when we were just teenagers. She was at a LAN party my cousin and I had, and she was really into the DOA games. When she saw it, she was so excited to try it. She beat the whole god damn game in one sitting, needless to say I was in love lol here we are now in our mid 30s having our first child next month. I can't wait to share the Ninja Gaiden games with her too.
What a monster... I didn't think it was possible on the first playthrough.

dave_d

Man it's kind of crazy to think about this game. I was born in 1987 and my first own game was Ninja Gaiden 1 on the NES. I think I was around 3 years old when I first started playing it. I would make it to the end of the game and never could beat the last boss.
Wait, the demon? I kind of remember him being easy. I mean the end of the game was 3 bosses and the first 2, your Ryu's dad and Jaquio, were basically impossible if you didn't figure out how to hop up the wall. (Which I don't think the game ever explained.) Anyway I played that with a friend and he learned a very important thing about those 3 bosses, they don't regenerate. So the only way we were able to beat it was beat Ryu's dad and lose to Jaquio since you lost all your items after beating Ryu's dad. Then play all the way through level 6 again but this time you'll immediately fight Jaquio and you get to keep your items. We'd usually just have flames equipped so we could hit him from the ground. (I think spinslash also worked. I just checked and you probably couldn't have used spin slash since you'd just use it up trying to climb the wall.)

Last edited:
What a monster... I didn't think it was possible on the first playthrough.

Wait, the demon? I kind of remember him being easy. I mean the end of the game was 3 bosses and the first 2, your Ryu's dad and Jaquio, were basically impossible if you didn't figure out how to hop up the wall. (Which I don't think the game ever explained.) Anyway I played that with a friend and he learned a very important thing about those 3 bosses, they don't regenerate. So the only way we were able to beat it was beat Ryu's dad and lose to Jaquio since you lost all your items after beating Ryu's dad. Then play all the way through level 6 again but this time you'll immediately fight Jaquio and you get to keep your items. We'd usually just have flames equipped so we could hit him from the ground. (I think spinslash also worked. I just checked and you probably couldn't have used spin slash since you'd just use it up trying to climb the wall.)

Yep she beat the whole Ninja Gaiden (not Black, the original release on Xbox) in one night. We stayed up until like 5 in the morning, and it was awesome to watch. As for the last boss in the OG, I didn't know about the spinslash trick and how much it cheeses bosses because I was a literal baby when I used to play it lol I would get to Ryu's dad and barely beat him, then die to Jaquio most of the time. On very rare occasions, I'd beat him and make it to the demon skull thing and excitedly call to my dad to come watch, but we'd never make it to beat it.

Top Bottom