• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshitaka Tamaki has passed away (character designer of Shining series, Alundra and other games)

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Google Translate said:
Yoshitaka Tamaki passed away from lung cancer on July 13, 2023. He had continued to receive medical treatment in accordance with his wish to continue working until the end, but he passed away from the disease. The funeral was attended only by close family members.I hope that the work that he dedicated his life to as a game creator will always be remembered.Thank you very much.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
55 years old. Too soon, RIP.

fKOkjnO.jpg

shamroxor

Neo Member
Welp! There goes another part of gaming history, Shining force was my introduction to strategy games. His work was the first time I could recognize an artist's style across different games. Years ago I imported Japanese copies of landstalker and Shining Force 1/2 which had color manuals with his lovely artwork.

Don't really know his work, but RIP. One minute we Here, the next minute we are gone. Life is weird.

You should start with one of the classic Shining Force games, either on the Genesis/MegaDrive, Sega CD/Mega CD, or Saturn. I just got into the Shining Force series recently with SFIII S1 and loved the hell out of that game. Even with the pre-rendered 3D models his character design aesthetic still comes through, and it's nice to see some more traditional high-fantasy anime-ish design work (his in particular reminding me some of the Record of Lodoss War manga & OVA) when a lot of modern high-fantasy anime designs veer heavily into more royal political or sci-fi influenced looks.

I don't know a lot about his work history but from what others are saying ITT he did artwork for the Alundra games too. I haven't played those yet, but I do know they're considered very hard, like hardcore Zelda-style titles. Would be interested to see what other games he's contributed to.

Isa

What a legacy. Rest in Peace. For some fun side content still related, I believe he also did Lady Stalker which didn't get released in the west but did get a fan translation iirc. Funnily enough on the SNES as a spiritual successor. Sega was foolish to let some of these go. I did struggle to get into Time Stalkers though, I should go back one of these days.

Also a side thing, maybe related, released by Enix back in the day with seemingly same art style is Fangs: The Saga of Wolf Blood. Amazing channel btw.

The influence of the Shining series on me cannot be understated. It got me into dungeon crawlers and strategy rpgs. I'll never forget how bummed I was when I learned that Camelot was bought by Nintendo. That style was so unique, I really wish that people would try to learn and emulate some of these more unique forms to help stand out from the pack. Its just so charming. The colors back then were also much warmer which I really prefer. Literally brightens my day when I so much as remember them.

cireza

His unique style gave life to Landstalker and the Shining series and I very fond memories of these games. I pretty much associated medieval fantasy to his style when I was a kid.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Too bad SEGA cancelled the Shining Force remake.
I believe he also did character design for the project, considering how close the designs look to the originals.

Top Bottom