• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Athenian Rhapsody (Earthbound/Undertale inspired RPG) is available

Bridges

Ended up picking this up.

"Undertale Inspired" is the understatement of the century. I'm only at the first town but this is just top to bottom trying to replicate Undertale's gameplay and humor. And from what little of the story I've experienced so far, it seems to be hitting similar beats.

The brand of comedy is the "omg so zany whacky" style that Undertale had, but dramatically cranked up. Some of that humor was questionable back then and I can't say it's aged any better.

I'm gonna stick with it, maybe it'll turn around. But I'm kind of disappointed in how derivative and unfunny it has been for me so far.

Sgt.Asher

I picked it up, the trailer made it seem like an interactive world. It's more like a theme park and you just walk to each attraction.
There isn't a plot hook as far as a can tell. Everything is focused on meeting wacky characters that are so "lol random." It's the goofy shit in undertale cranked up to 11 without the writing chops to make it funny.
Battle system is serviceable.

RayHell

I'm a fan of both game hopefully I can find time to play the game. I'll buy it none the less because we need to support great developers like this.

Sgt.Asher

Apparently this has level scaling, so damage of the bosses increases with max health and level.
So much for a game about "you" when it pretty much railroads you into a pacifist route.

Bridges

Welp, 6 hours in and hit a game breaking bug on the Xbox version. Really don't feel like going through all of that again so I guess I'm dropping this unless a patch ever fixes it

Top Bottom