• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

Zheph

I keep fucking up items, tough time... Bash barbarian is quite insane tho, that class is at the top of the game every bloody season

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm hitting a wall now. Have 925 gear with decent aspects, have tempered stuff and have greater affixes on probably 3/4 pieces. But I'm struggling to get past 40NMD which is new (I'm level 89).

I'm thinking maybe paragon but it's a maxroll build tbh - incinerate sorc. Not sure where the plateau is or how to break it

Zheph

I'm hitting a wall now. Have 925 gear with decent aspects, have tempered stuff and have greater affixes on probably 3/4 pieces. But I'm struggling to get past 40NMD which is new (I'm level 89).

I'm thinking maybe paragon but it's a maxroll build tbh - incinerate sorc. Not sure where the plateau is or how to break it
Is that an endgame build? Link? You shouldn't struggle in 40 nmd even if it's not a great build

Zathalus

That's odd, my Bash Barbarian sleeps through 100 dungeons and that was before I had any master working or even reached level 100.

Sorcerer is weaker but I don't think the difference is that pronounced.

Mikado

Aside from the 40-odd paragon points you're missing between there and 100 (and I assume you've done all the Region explorations to get the additional 20 points), the next range of boosts will open up from masterworking but you need to complete a lv 46 NMD to unlock it.

What are you finding to be your issue? Survivability? Resource Usage? Damage?
- Helps to ensure you have lots of the Damage Reduction from Burning Enemies type nodes in the paragon tree.
- Teleport is a must. I found evade is pretty useless on my fire sorc, so I took the More Armour/Less Evade aspect and just focused on mobility/teleport cooldown. The things most likely to kill me at high levels are the telegraphed AoEs like floor patterns or mob detonation. So I like to be able to get away fast. It also provides damage boost/resists/movement based on various aspects and glyphs.
- Not sure how valuable resists are in D4 (compared to say PoE), but there's no reason not to have them all capped, esp. as a class that gets a ton of All Resist from their INT pool.
- Flame shield is good since it provides immunity, breaks CC, provides a big damage boost, and you can take that aspect that also immobilizes mobs and lets you move through them while using it.
- Dropping hydras is handy as they will keep up the deeps while you avoid standing in danger. Combined with Conjuration Mastery, I also use them as my mana battery, rather than wasting time with Basic skills.
- Added Skill Points affixes are pretty great. I have a +3 Core ring and tbh my current build would be pretty gimped without it.

My playstyle is sprinkle some hydras for mana regen and some chip damage, drop a meteor on a pack, teleport right on top of them, pop flame shield and burn them down with incinerate at point-blank range. By the time the flame shield wears off, teleport is coming back up and I can blink away again if I'm in trouble.

cormack12

Gold Member
Aside from the 40-odd paragon points you're missing between there and 100 (and I assume you've done all the Region explorations to get the additional 20 points), the next range of boosts will open up from masterworking but you need to complete a lv 46 NMD to unlock it.

What are you finding to be your issue? Survivability? Resource Usage? Damage?
- Helps to ensure you have lots of the Damage Reduction from Burning Enemies type nodes in the paragon tree.
- Teleport is a must. I found evade is pretty useless on my fire sorc, so I took the More Armour/Less Evade aspect and just focused on mobility/teleport cooldown. The things most likely to kill me at high levels are the telegraphed AoEs like floor patterns or mob detonation. So I like to be able to get away fast. It also provides damage boost/resists/movement based on various aspects and glyphs.
- Not sure how valuable resists are in D4 (compared to say PoE), but there's no reason not to have them all capped, esp. as a class that gets a ton of All Resist from their INT pool.
- Flame shield is good since it provides immunity, breaks CC, provides a big damage boost, and you can take that aspect that also immobilizes mobs and lets you move through them while using it.
- Dropping hydras is handy as they will keep up the deeps while you avoid standing in danger. Combined with Conjuration Mastery, I also use them as my mana battery, rather than wasting time with Basic skills.
- Added Skill Points affixes are pretty great. I have a +3 Core ring and tbh my current build would be pretty gimped without it.

My playstyle is sprinkle some hydras for mana regen and some chip damage, drop a meteor on a pack, teleport right on top of them, pop flame shield and burn them down with incinerate at point-blank range. By the time the flame shield wears off, teleport is coming back up and I can blink away again if I'm in trouble.

At the moment it's struggling to kill enemies more than damage I take. They aren't going down as quick as they should for only a couple levels above. I have the extra paragons from renown. And it's more groups of elites, I can still melt bosses, but groups of elites with 'enhanced health' can all generally outlast my dps as a group.

Mikado

At the moment it's struggling to kill enemies more than damage I take. They aren't going down as quick as they should for only a couple levels above. I have the extra paragons from renown. And it's more groups of elites, I can still melt bosses, but groups of elites with 'enhanced health' can all generally outlast my dps as a group.

[1] FlameShield 9/5 (Binding Embers aspect) + Burn Radius + Enemies Stunned
[2] Hydra 5/5 + Extra Head + Burns Enemies
[3] Meteor 8/5 + Additional Meteor on 3 hits + Faster Fall
[4] Teleport 2/5 (Bounding Conduit Aspect) + MoveSpeed + Damage Reduction
[L] (No Basic skill at all - I keep it empty so I don't stupidly try and plink when I'm trying to move)
[R] Incinerate 8/5 (Flamethrower + Conflageration Aspects)+ Burn + Damage Reduction
[-] Firewall 3/5. Unbound. Only have it in the build since I got it for free as a Core Skill with my +3 Core affix. I let it autocast on other abilities for some additional damage when it happens.
(Meteor and Firewall enchants for autocasts)

Paragon is hard investment in Damage Reduction, Fire, Burning, DOT nodes.
No particular invest into Vuln or Crit.
I have Fortify up all the time though I'm not even sure where it's coming from? Possibly some +Dodge/Fortify on Dodge? But it seems like it's almost always full. Anyway, that helps with Overpower damage, esp on meteors.

Into the 70s on NMD but since I have my Glyphs maxed out and runeshards for days I'm not spending much more time in there.

My wall so far is the Pit around level 35 or so. Can clear 35 pretty easily. 36 maybe with a death or two. 39, no luck so far though to be fair, some bosses are worse than others. Later pit levels really pile on the random bullet-hell spam.
So I'm just grinding out Masterworking, resetting a lot when the tier boost hits a useless affix instead of the ones I want.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I did over the weekend hit 100 Barb and completed the season. All milestones done. Beat Uber Andy and dury.

Didn’t want to grind anymore masterwork or pit. Got what I wanted complete.

Season is lackluster without a real theme or fresh mechanic, and it feels like the real game now more than ever doesn’t start until WT4.

Certain issues remain:
-Flood of loot you just trash to smith
-Still getting blue items. Uber Andy dropped two blues….
-Dog shit affixes still frequent
-Barb is in a rough state in my opinion. Upheaval felt bad. I was more just doing bash with cleave property for damage.

I think the pit is the real star this season. You get great exp, great loot, and since it only happens at the end you don’t feel like your bags are constantly being filled with trash. Plus it provides a real challenge the higher you go.

I’m not a fan of Helltide to WT4 non stop. A part of this is you just stand in the one summon alter while loot floods the screen. Horrible game design here. It also doesn’t help Helltide no matter where it happens on the map is the same shit red filter and takes away from the beauty of the world. I think just a red border to the area with the warning telling you’re leaving is fine. They don’t need the bloody tampon filter to help break it up a little when it’s in separate map areas.

Overall 7/10 season.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Come one, come all to celebrate the 1-year anniversary of Diablo IV, and the 2-year anniversary of Diablo Immortal! Share in a goblin’s heap of rewards to mark another year of malevolence across Sanctuary.

Enjoy the revelry with a bounty of devilish goods to sink your teeth into across Diablo IV and Diablo Immortal. Thank you for being a part of the Diablo community through another year of fighting back the demonic forces of Hell.

Mikado

Certain issues remain:
-Flood of loot you just trash to smith
-Still getting blue items. Uber Andy dropped two blues….
-Dog shit affixes still frequent

So having played a good chunk of the endgame this season I think I see what's essentially wrong with the Pit:

Iso ARPGs are loot games but the pit - as an endgame system - is incredibly anti-loot. The player gets (basically) no new potentially-exciting items for running it. Merely a small, predictable increase in the stats of gear already worn. The more someone invests in masterworked pieces the less one can really afford to swap them out.

What items that do drop at that point are either Codex Fodder (pretty rare at that point since it would be mostly full) or else sold for scrap.

There's grind, but there's no chase. Laid bare, it feels like a bit of a cynical system to try and maintain e n g a g e m e n t.

The 1-100 levelling process is a lot of fun though, so long as one doesn't spend their entire career in the helltide.

Arsic

So having played a good chunk of the endgame this season I think I see what's essentially wrong with the Pit:

Iso ARPGs are loot games but the pit - as an endgame system - is incredibly anti-loot. The player gets (basically) no new potentially-exciting items for running it. Merely a small, predictable increase in the stats of gear already worn. The more someone invests in masterworked pieces the less one can really afford to swap them out.

What items that do drop at that point are either Codex Fodder (pretty rare at that point since it would be mostly full) or else sold for scrap.

There's grind, but there's no chase. Laid bare, it feels like a bit of a cynical system to try and maintain e n g a g e m e n t.

The 1-100 levelling process is a lot of fun though, so long as one doesn't spend their entire career in the helltide.
There’s some kind of balance that has to be struck.

Overflood of loot like helltide swings the pendulum too far.

Pit pay out at the end for me works nice but you don’t do the pit until very late game.

I come from a Diablo 2 mindset where I’m always excited AF when a unique or set item drops. A yellow pair of gloves or boots can be a god drop. Grey items could have slots I need.

Loot is always exciting in Diablo 2. Start to finish.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
When you start a seasonal character again, does it carry over seasonal rewards? Basically will I get the urn xp boosts from Level 1
You mean the seasonal bonus you activate with ashes ?
Yes, it's account wide, you can have several characters in the seasonal realm and up the season stuff and all will benefit from the urns.

Arsic

You mean the seasonal bonus you activate with ashes ?
Yes, it's account wide, you can have several characters in the seasonal realm and up the season stuff and all will benefit from the urns.
Note it also will go to hardcore characters too if you did it on a standard character first.

Which is great so you can level on HC faster.

cormack12

Gold Member
What's the endgame cycle? Is this it?

Helltide for steel
Steel for Grigoire

Legion/World Boss for Exquisite blood
Exquisite blood for Zir

NMD T30+ for Distilled Fear
Distilled fear for the Ice beast

Whispers for body parts
Body parts for Varshan

Kill Varshan & Grigoire for Duriel