• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the upgrade from Turtle Beach Stealth 700 gen 2 to Stealth Pro worth it?

Stafford

So when the Xbox Series X launched I bought the TB Stealth 700 gen 2 and I've loved them for a long time, except for an extremely annoying issue in party chat solely happening with these headphones. I was considering spending 100 bucks (or less, can be found for 80) on the Microsoft wireless headset (since I game with soundbar a lot more often these days) and use that for party chat and the few times I play online games.

But now I got an offer for the Stealth Pro for 180 euros. It's as good as new, it's from March this year and receipt etc is all there. That's a really good deal. But should I? How big of an upgrade over Gen 2 sound wise is it really? I love the bass on the Gen 2, I have been using bass and treble boost ever since I got them. I heard the bass is more flat out of the box and I need to change some EQ settings, that's no problem as long as the bass isn't any weaker. But overall, is it a big step up audio wise in gaming? Does it sound way more clear, crisp than Gen 2? Hoping to get some impressions from people who tested both.

Get a cheapo $10 earbuds for party chat. Party chat destroys sound quality, you don’t need good quality hps for party chat.

When you are playing solo, invest in high quality cans from a reputable brand like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audeze etc.

Zathalus

Most reviewer seem to think they are good.

So it seems to be quite a solid upgrade, especially for that price.

Last edited:

Stafford

Most reviewer seem to think they are good.

So it seems to be quite a solid upgrade, especially for that price.

Yeah. But after checking out Reddit a little I am seeing a bit too many complaints about a faulty mic and TB support not being exactly great. For some it would stop working a few hours after purchase, for others after like 7 months. This is for both Xbox and PS versions. And only by positioning the boom mic a certain way it would work again. Nah, not fucking with that.

The best upgrade from a Turtle Beach is to anything that isn't a Turtle Beach.

I have had several TB headsets during Xbox 360, Xbox One eras, never issues. This one for Series X sounds very good for me but the party chat issue is annoying. I've never had any of these sets breaking on me.

Get a cheapo $10 earbuds for party chat. Party chat destroys sound quality, you don’t need good quality hps for party chat.

When you are playing solo, invest in high quality cans from a reputable brand like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audeze etc.

Yeah I probably shouldn't spend too much on a headset anyway anymore, since I use my Harman Kardon soundbar setup a lot with gaming. What did you mean with party chat destroys sound quality? You truly have worse game audio if you are in party chat?

Last edited:
What did you mean with party chat destroys sound quality? You truly have worse game audio if you are in party chat?
Party chat audio gets superimposed over game audio.

When playing solo, on a good pair of cans, I get full soundscape. Everything is audible from ocean waves crashing to birds chirping to a variety of ambient sounds.

With party chat you loose all that subtle details cause volume is normalised with voice chat. So a good quality hps are wasted.

Stafford

Party chat audio gets superimposed over game audio.

When playing solo, on a good pair of cans, I get full soundscape. Everything is audible from ocean waves crashing to birds chirping to a variety of ambient sounds.

With party chat you loose all that subtle details cause volume is normalised with voice chat. So a good quality hps are wasted.

Goddamn. I never realized that. Then I'm glad i played through RDR2 last year with my home cinema setup and not with headphones in a party, damn.

Goddamn. I never realized that. Then I'm glad i played through RDR2 last year with my home cinema setup and not with headphones in a party, damn.
Well, if you don’t notice it then its not an issue, is it??

I notice it cause i have been using good headphones for many years now.

Top Bottom