• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Watched Dune Part Two on a long airplane ride yesterday. The visuals were great, and the cinematography was really well done! That being said, I felt like the script was a bit of a mess, the acting felt flat, and it came across as cheesy at times. Also damn Christopher Walken is old.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Beau is Afraid

I loved Hereditary. Quite liked Midsommar. Overall I didn't like Beau is Afraid even though it's skillfully made and there are individual parts that were great.

I took the things happening onscreen literally, i.e., it's not like Beau is a paranoid schizophrenic imagining things. It was interesting, funny, and tense at first watching irrational anxieties (many I have myself) play out in reality, but once he gets to the woods maybe 80 minutes in, it lost me.

Still onboard to watch whatever full-length feature Ari Aster makes next, but, yeah, this was about an hour too long.
I started fast-forwarding when they did the play in the woods. :sleep:

Andyliini

The Abyss

Sometimes it takes a long time to see classics, this one took me until now. It must have been an awesome sci-fi thriller back in the 80's, but it looks terribly dated now. Then again, everything that used CGI back then couldn't stand the test of time. The story itself is OK, but especially the final act takes far too long to get solved, feels like there were too many ways to end the film. I watched the 1993 Special Edition, so maybe by trimming those 30 minutes away, this might have been a tighter package, and wouldn't feel so long. Can't say, but maybe in a few years time I'll watch the theatrical cut and see it that's any better.

Billbofet

The Fall Guy:
Was really looking forward to this, and found it to be a total mess. We decided as a family to shut it off after the karaoke scene. No interest at all to finish. I love Emily Blunt, but her face looks cg in the movie. Action sucked - at least the stuff we got through. Huge disappointment for me

The Dry:
Slow burn mystery set in rural Australia. I thought it was pretty great and happy to see there is a sequel as well. Eric Bana rules.

Knox Goes Away:
Michael Keaton is a hitman with an aggressive form of dementia. Keaton is good in anything. This movie is nothing amazing, yet I would recommend it. Al Pacino is in it as well - dude seems like a parody of himself lately.

Doom85

Also damn Christopher Walken is old.

For real, hadn’t seen him in live action (since he voiced King Louie in the 2016 Jungle Book) since the 2012 film Seven Psychopaths (excellent film, and my personal favorite Walken performance, he’s not only hilarious but also delivers emotional scenes with genuine depth), so it had been over a decade seeing him for me. But looking real quick, he’s done plenty of films between those two so he’s still very active in his work, so good for him, hope he’s doing well.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
He was great in Dune II.

The ring kiss.. and the foot stomp before.

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Last edited:

violence

cGT5ykb.jpeg

Raiders of the lost Ark

This is one of the movies that eluded me. It was my first time watching it. It’s clear this movie influenced a lot of other IP (video games especially) and it obviously would’ve been more fresh the year it came out (wasn’t born yet). Even then I felt the movie magic. It’s also amusing how hard these old PG movies can get.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Just finished Civil War

This is one of those that would have worked even better as a short series imo. See some more in depth stuff etc.

Overall I thought it was a fun watch, I loved the perspective. Great cast too.
Just saw it today too with zero expectations or reading online comments or reviews and it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. It reminded me of Children of Men.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

The First Omen wasn't that bad, especially in today's world where every old horror IP is being brought back and most of the remakes/sequels/prequels/whatever unfortunately suck. I liked the artistic scenes and that one scene based on the original movie was fine as well. Nell Tiger Free is a very good actress and she definitely made the overall experience better. The biggest problem is that the main twist was no twist at all, I'd actually be surprised if the story went a different way.

I also have to some say some scenes were quite disturbing, I'm especially talking about both
birth scenes
. It's not a bad thing, you just have to be ready for an uncomfortable experience.

Last edited:
The First Omen wasn't that bad, especially in today's world where every old horror IP is being brought back and most of the remakes/sequels/prequels/whatever unfortunately suck. I liked the artistic scenes and that one scene based on the original movie was fine as well. Nell Tiger Free is a very good actress and she definitely made the overall experience better. The biggest problem is that the main twist was no twist at all, I'd actually be surprised if the story went a different way.

I also have to some say some scenes were quite disturbing, I'm especially talking about both
birth scenes
. It's not a bad thing, you just have to be ready for an uncomfortable experience.

I just saw this on Streaming last night

Really enjoyed it

Was surprised by those scenes mentioned. I have strong stomach so they didn't disturb me but I can see why those scenes can be scarring to some people

Fbh

Civil_War_2024_film_poster.jpeg

7/10
I liked it, well shot and directed IMO and I liked how it focused more on the characters and the war photography angle than the conflict itself. The action scene at the end was pretty good too, great audio design. Would have liked a slightly less abrut ending though

Smile_%282022_film%29.jpg

5/10

Ok horror movie but nothing special, looses steam toward the end and it's one of those cases where it actually gets LESS creepy with the monster reveal.
Also kinda off topic but I was distracted by the fact the main actress looks like a female Kevin Bacon... once the credits started and I saw she's his daughter it made sense lol

violence

b59drI9.jpeg

District 9

Awesome movie. Media can make you feel sorry for anything. Even alien invaders who were planning God knows what for the human race.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Resident Evil: Apocalypse and Resident Evil: Extinction

I can't tell you why, but I decided I'd work through this franchise. Prior, I had only ever watched the first film completely. I saw it as a kid in the theater - there was an old $1 theater that would play old movies - even movies that were like ten+ years old. I miss that theater, no way it could survive these days. I am glad I saw it in a theater. I think it's great popcorn fun with some good action and cinematography for the time. Is it kino? Of course not, but it's not offensively bad or anything.

Well, Apocalypse is not good. Not even so bad it's good, though I can tell they were going for that kind of camp. I like how they tried to faithfully adapt Jill Valentine even down to her gait, but the movie is just bad.

Extinction is more like the first in the series, but still, they play up the camp in a kind of unserious way that just makes the movie corny. I was also pretty tired when I watched this, so some of the goofy plot missed me so I ended up confused at the end. Which is embarrassing to admit that I couldn't follow a Resident Evil movie.

So next up is Afterlife, and the trailer alone lets me know I am in for some bonkers action / situations.

Andyliini

So next up is Afterlife, and the trailer alone lets me know I am in for some bonkers action / situations.

I watched Afterlife in theaters when it released. That was when the last 3D graze was starting, and this was one of the first real 3D films after Avatar. I think 3D works great in this, and it should be watched in 3D if possible. It also has my favorite opening scenes ever in movie history.

Last edited:
Well, Apocalypse is not good. Not even so bad it's good, though I can tell they were going for that kind of camp. I like how they tried to faithfully adapt Jill Valentine even down to her gait, but the movie is just bad.
I strongly disagree. The cast synergy is great. All the characters are well realized and relatable. The plot is serviceable and action is great. Cohesive presentation and fantastic pacing as well. It can stand on its own. If it wasn't called Resident Evil I would still jump at the chance to see it.

P.S. Afterlife is bland and feels like Extinction Part II. The next film, Retribution, is fun and lets loose with cameos in a self contained plot.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Watched Dune Part Two on a long airplane ride yesterday. The visuals were great, and the cinematography was really well done! That being said, I felt like the script was a bit of a mess, the acting felt flat, and it came across as cheesy at times. Also damn Christopher Walken is old.
Yep. All the pieces are there for Villeneuve’s Dune to have been an all-time classic but after part 2 especially I was left indifferent to it. Strayed too far from the book, bad acting, felt afraid to fully commit to the premise.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
images

It was a lot better than I was expecting.
It does have at least one nonsense death that involves a bin, and there are some really stupid corny lines but that aside it had good tension, and felt like it had similar vibes to the first three Scream movies. Would recommend.

Watched Hurricane Heist (2018) recently. Crazy guys try to use an oncoming hurricane to cover their big heist in an evacuated town as some FBI agents try to stop from.
Does not deserve the poor reviews it was given, not sure what people expected. Action packed, huge set pieces, pretty good sfx, if you like the Fast and Furious movies you'll like this. Enjoyed it more than Furiosa as dumb fun action flick.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
kubWBQr.jpeg
R3CNS6p.jpeg

Saw this finally earlier this week on Prime.

It's DEFINITELY hilarious with moments of gravitas. Jeffrey Wright is a TREASURE of an actor! So is Sterling K. Brown! And Erika Alexander STILL looks young! It's like she stepped straight off from Living Single to this movie ... Albeit with different hairstyles from the show.

It's about an author who is a bit narcissistic but has a good heart (yeah, I can't think of any other word but narcissistic to describe him) who is going through issues he has to work through throughout the film while also trying to get his writing career back going... Only to create a fictional author who wrote a fictional 'true story based on...' ... Meanwhile, his family life is ...

I'll just say watch this movie with an open mind because there is some making fun of SJW ish ... LMBO! If you can call it that. But I loved this movie!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I feel like I should watch Equalizer 3 again for a 3rd time. To ME, the story is beautiful and sweet (obviously with the requisite violence). And it comes back to the first movie. I love that. Gonna put it on now

Top Bottom