• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Youtube Layout is Horrendous

Valedix

Seriously one of the worst UI designs I've ever seen what the fuck was Google/Youtube smokin'.

You now have a chance of being spoiled by the video in the comments unless you click 'Theater mode'.

You can't view the description of the video, and the comments at the same time.

The rest of the homepage is just filled with HUGE thumbnails for related/recommended and short videos.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Yeah it's a shitshow. Hard to believe it was proposed and approved and went through UAT and all that shit, and what we got was this incoherent mess.

Spyxos

Why do they change it so often? It feels like it gets worse every time and you have to spend ages looking for everything again and getting used to it.

winjer

Gold Member
cool, thanks!

Is it just on mobile or something? I only watch youtube on either PC or xbox and it looks the same to me

Its a browser extension. Its in the chrome store. Can be used in any Chromium base browser.
There is probably, also a version for Firefox.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
r0QVFIC.jpg

YouTube moving away from the star rating system was surprising at the time, I think they should have a “retro day” like the photo above, the classic buttons, the 5-1 stars, the scrolling for other videos and I really appreciate YouTube for tutorials and walkthroughs.

Valedix

r0QVFIC.jpg

YouTube moving away from the star rating system was surprising at the time, I think they should have a “retro day” like the photo above, the classic buttons, the 5-1 stars, the scrolling for other videos and I really appreciate YouTube for tutorials and walkthroughs.
Man I miss how simple and good this layout was, the good old days of bypassing the school's internet filter and still accessing YouTube haha.

Man I miss how simple and good this layout was, the good old days of bypassing the school's internet filter and still accessing YouTube haha.

I know... I have an account from 2006, with a couple videos that have half a million views. I don't really utilize it much.

The only thing I will not miss is the flash plug-in requirement that OG youtube needed to play videos. Remember when it was all flash?... The majority of old websites use to have embedded flash.

Also, I am not seeing the new layout yet.... it looks unchanged to me.

Last edited:

Shtef

Just got this layout, fucking hell is bad. hopefully there will be extensions to clean up the ui.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
If anyone is trying to use this in Waterfox, you'll get an error.

1. Download the file
  2. Open it in 7zip or similar
  3. Open the manifest file you see
  4. Change the minimum version requirement to 115.0
  5. Save
  6. In Firefox there is an option to install from file
Waterfox's numbering is slightly behind, but the extension itself works just fine.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'd watch some old vids.

Now my whole home is 2 to 3 year old vids.

Jesus Christ GIF
Jesus Christ GIF

Last edited:
r0QVFIC.jpg

Looks much better than the new one. I'd only drop the weird scrolling for related videos.

Getting rid of the stars system was pretty much the first step in the transition from YouTube to something more akin to FuckYou Tube.

Rat Rage

The problem with tech companies, which are super rich like youtube, is, that their overpaid management people are constantly looking for ways to keep them relevant, one of which is to continuously tinker with their youtube layout. They don't understand the concept of "never touch a running system". Hell, they don't even understand the concept of asking who actually wants these fucking changes or at least offering options.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I've never found a way to default to theater mode. And even if I did, like almost all other settings it would just revert to default out of the blue every week or two.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
r0QVFIC.jpg

I remember using YouTube during the five-star rating system, but I didn't remember the layout looking so usable. That's so much better than the site is now.
I've never found a way to default to theater mode. And even if I did, like almost all other settings it would just revert to default out of the blue every week or two.
You could try "Enhancer for YouTube." It can default to theater mode, and it also lets you use a theater mode that fills your entire browser tab.

Top Bottom