• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #4 |OT| - Thunderblocks are go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest
After a longer hiatus we are back with full swing. One quick set-based contest now and we will have a theme based one very soon after this with no holds barred on what LEGO one can use.

Idea: to face of in a hardened custom creation battle where the winner takes all and everyone else gets a pat on the back.

Aim: Having fun and improving our brick building skills on the way.

Rules: One cheapish set (that is still readily available) is chosen to give everyone a level playing field. From the parts contained in this one set (including the spares that come with the box) a custom creation is to be built, no further theme or model limitations are placed. The custom model should however be of your own design and not blatantly copied from somewhere else, getting inspiration and ideas is of course permissible. Using parts not contained in the chosen set is not allowed.

Timeframe: The contest will last one month from the start date, plenty of time for everyone to get the required set and start building. The custom model should be posted in the contest thread by the final date and the OT will be updated with links to the corresponding post. Each entry should contain no more than 5 pictures including one that also shows the pile of left over parts. Every member only gets to submit one entry, alternate builds can be bragged about after the contest deadline is over. Your original entry and post can be edited at will till the final deadline. Remember to take good photos of your model, I would recommend you try and find a uniform background and as much light as possible.

Start Date: 2014-01-24
End Date: 2014-02-16 2400 CEST​

Submission:
To ensure I don't miss an entry you can always drop me a PM with a link, also if you are unhappy with my choice of name for your model, don't hesitate to give me the official name of your creation.

Face-off: The winner is then chosen by popular vote. For one week after the OT has been updated with the finalised entries and the voting round is officially opened by the OP voting can commence.
Every voter has exactly 6 votes:
- one worth 3 points
- two worth 2 points
- three worth 1 point
You give your favourite Model 3 points the two runners up 2 points each and have another 3 points to distribute amongst the other entries.
By what measure you rate the entries is entirely up to you.

Previous Contest:
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #2
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #3

Current Contest:
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #4
Model to be used: 31008-1 Thunder Wings
lxxN5y6.jpg

Number of pieces: 235 (+2)
Number of colours: 10

More information:

Where to buy:
xVOpcGs.jpg
Buy at Amazon.com (19.97$)

rqyu4gu.jpg
Buy at Amazon.co.uk (14.99£)

aIl4HhP.gif
Buy at Amazon.de (17.99€)

many other places too. So check your local retailer, they might even have it on sale, you never know!

Participants and their entries: (last updated 2014-02-16)
If you find an error, in Names or links please let me know.

055 - FliXFantatier's s.o. - Firby
061 - SilkyEskimo - A City Divided
063 - mrkgoo - Exotic Insect
077 - massoluk - Valkyrie Zeta
080 - BentBricks - MOC'ing Bird
086 - Martheron - Hungry Monster
091 - Ponn01 - S.H.A.R.C. (Submersible Hover Aeronautical Recon Combat) Vehicle
092 - Paper Sparrow - COBRABOT
094 - FliXFantatier - Podracer
100 - Winnie the Pimp - Deep Space Defender
105 - :Motorbass - Spider
124 - Bakkuma371 - TW-318 GARC
128 - Tempy - space battleship
137 - neonglow - WipEout Racer
138 - RichardAM - Wipeout-y
141 - Chezzymann - Killertron 2000
147 - PhonicpleBone - Dragon Head
157 - MisterNoisy - Cool Cruiser Spacecraft
159 - PalaceBrother - Breakdancing Robot

Prize Pool:
We have decided to not have prizes this time, no pressure to win anything just have fun and build like a mortal godDess.

Past Generous and Glorious Donors:
UParjGb.jpg
FliXFantatier (3)
2x8vCjO.jpg
ghostmind
xVOpcGs.jpg
MisterNoisy (2)
yWydJFD.gif
nny
xVOpcGs.jpg
PhoncipleBone (2)
xVOpcGs.jpg
R-User!
rqyu4gu.jpg
RichardAM
xVOpcGs.jpg
whatsinaname

Man, its so fun to design legos. Its been so long since I last did, so I completely forgot. I might do a bunch more designs with this set even after the contest is over.

Oh, I'm kinda OCD, so could you use this one instead for the thumbnail? Musn't have anything cropped. Lol.

jw3Gbwhak3JCP.png

MisterNoisy

Hopefully it's not too late - I only got around to sitting down with the kit tonight, so here's my entry, though it's definitely not going to win. :p

Another small spacecraft inspired by classic shmups, something like the entry I made for the 'Blue Roadster' contest:

NoJcQKZ.jpg

q6ScCL1.jpg

mh4Hy1o.jpg

3eqxZ5V.jpg

HXfRI5A.jpg

...and the spare parts:

u9CqzRd.jpg

Kuntz

AHHHHHH!

I have no choice but to resign, my create-randomly-as-you-take-pieces creation (another spaceship/driller buggy) has been completely destroyed.

No pictures taken as I had not finished.

Sad

AHHHHHH!

I have no choice but to resign, my create-randomly-as-you-take-pieces creation (another spaceship/driller buggy) has been completely destroyed.

No pictures taken as I had not finished.

Sad

:( you still have all sunday to get something off the ground. :)

r1chard

I've only just discovered this thread and think it's an awesome idea. Is there any reasonable way to make sure I get to be in the next one? Will subb'ing this thread work?

I've only just discovered this thread and think it's an awesome idea. Is there any reasonable way to make sure I get to be in the next one? Will subb'ing this thread work?

The contests usually get discussed in the main LEGO thread while they are being planned...but nowhere else that I know of.

Subscribe to the main thread (in off-topic community)-it is a super welcoming thread with awesome peeps.

r1chard

The contests usually get discussed in the main LEGO thread while they are being planned...but nowhere else that I know of.

Subscribe to the main thread (in off-topic community)-it is a super welcoming thread with awesome peeps.
Ooh thanks! I had no idea it was there! :)

theaface

Thanks for the info. Like the other poster, I've only just seen this and would love to take part. Any idea how frequently these take place?

Congrats
mrkgoo
and all! Thanks for those that voted for my entry! Looking forward to the next fun competition.

My MOC'ing bird wants to say something. "I poop on you all."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom