• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That original, exclusive Shinobi game for 3DS is great!

Majestad

Banned
shibo.jpg

First Shinobi game I've played what the 3D version of III for 3DS (lots of 3's), and I thought it was incredible. Now I remember this other original Shinobi game came during the first months of the 3DS, and I recall seeing a lot of people saying good things about it. They were right; this game is great.

I'm very surprised by how good it is. It's just a great platformer/beat em up that's very satisfying and challenging. I'm on level 5 and it has been a blast to play. The presentation makes it look like it was a game originally made for the DS, but it has a nice art-style and the 3D effect is ok.

If you guys don't have it yet, I strongly recommend it. It is dirt cheap ($11) and it is a great addition to the 3DS library.

056.jpg

emb

Great game. Parrying is so satisfying.

I do kind of wish the levels had been shorter though.

m0t0k1

yeah i enjoyed this game. love you could save replays of your runs to see where you went wrong and try to improve on that.

This game was pretty nails and the final stage was full of blind jumps and incredibly little margin for error at points that I'm still surprised I held out to the finish.
An acquired taste I expect but I'll have to agree that I enjoyed it quite a bit, the parrying in particular was a great addition to the simple but snappy combat.

Majestad

Banned
Even at medium difficulty this game is though as nails.

Also Giro is a badass. I like his design more than Joe Musashi.

emb

You seem to have mistakenly posted a PS1 screenshot in the OP. Just a heads up.
Looks more like a DC game to me. But you're right, graphics are definitely the weak point of that game. It's a shame that it falls short in that area, but the game plays well enough to make up for it.

Running through a whole level parrying attacks left and right is completely satisfying.

This game, especially the last level, makes other hard games look like a joke.

YOU FEEL LIKE A NINJA BY THE END OF IT.

You seem to have mistakenly posted a burn from the DS-era. Just a heads up.

RM8

My... second or third favorite 3DS game out of my 30 retail titles. Fantastic game, actually one of my favorite Shinobi games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Bought the game after hearing a lot of good things about it. Haven't played it yet.

Passed on it originally because of the visuals, but uh... the Griptonite guys who did this went on to make Volgarr the Viking, so I trust the quality of the gameplay now.

If you guys don't have it yet, I strongly recommend it. It is dirt cheap ($11) and it is a great addition to the 3DS library.[/IMG]

I got it for $5 at Big Lots last weekend, was 50% off their sticker price. Should be $2.50 now, as they've got a 75% off sale going on now, but good luck finding one.

RM8

I now want it to play it again. It's haaaaard, has lots of unlockable stuff and it's overall really fun. I loved the jungle level the most, I think, it took me ages,

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

No, that's a 3DS game. I know that as a Vita owner, it can be difficult to get your head around the concept of a portable system that has games, so your confusion is understandable. Let me explain.

A portable video game is a piece of software that you purchase from a store of some sort, which is then, usually through some sort of disc drive or card slot, placed into the portable game device so that it the device's owner can interact with the software. Sometimes you don't have to go to a physical store location to get the game; it may be downloaded onto the device's SD card storage for convenience.

Oh right, Vita owner.

An SD card is like a Vita memory card, except it's cheaper, easier to find, and does the same thing.

samman6

I tried playing this on normal and said screw it after an hour, beginner is way more fun, I also really like the levels where you are on a horse or moving platform through those pseudo tunnels. A great game all around, and the anime cutscenes are really cool too even if I have no idea what the story is.

Majestad

Banned
No, that's a 3DS game. I know that as a Vita owner, it can be difficult to get your head around the concept of a portable system that has games, so your confusion is understandable. Let me explain.

A portable video game is a piece of software that you purchase from a store of some sort, which is then, usually through some sort of disc drive or card slot, placed into the portable game device so that it the device's owner can interact with the software. Sometimes you don't have to go to a physical store location to get the game; it may be downloaded onto the device's SD card storage for convenience.

Oh right, Vita owner.

An SD card is like a Vita memory card, except it's cheaper, easier to find, and does the same thing.

That's some Nas' Ether type of shit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
NEVER FORGET THE THREAD FOR THIS.

Ever.

Fantastic, underrated game with decent challenge (esp. parrying) and mechanical/movement depth. Wish it got more attention when it got released, but I know that OP I linked above sold me hard on it. No regrets. Kinda sucks that some things are unlocked via play coins, but that's not hard to fix.

I hated this game but forced myself to play through it based on the GAF hype. It never gets better and the horrible final boss fight is just the cherry on top of a shit sundae. Graphics and music are crap and most of the difficulty is based on cheapness.

The poor quality of this game is made even more glaring now that the 3DS is home to the best version of the godlike Shinobi 3.

Shinta

Banned
It's possibly the best 2D action combat system I've ever played. It's just hard as fuck though. If you have even a tiny inkling of a tendency to get frustrated at death and quit, don't even try this.

For those left still reading, get it now. It's great. You have to rely on timed parries constantly to survive even basic enemies, and you have a satisfying move set that just feels really, really good.

When I heard Big Lots was clearing out their video game stock (50% at the time now 75%) I went and picked up this for only $5. Not sure when I'll get a chance to play it though.

I'm excited as he's a character in Sonic Racing Transformed and I'll like to play a game of his.

RM8

The poor quality of this game is made even more glaring now that the 3DS is home to the best version of the godlike Shinobi 3.
See, I'd take Shinobi 3D over 3D Classic Shinobi III (which I also bought). Sad that you didn't like it, though, but it's a great game.

Top Bottom