• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

I really hope this game is successful enough, so that Capcom brings their entire legacy catalog to pc. I've been waiting for years to play RE1, RE2, RE3 and Dino Crisis on pc. Next on my most wanted list is Dragon's Dogma. Okami would be awesome as well.

Such a shame I don't take drugs cause 30fps + motion blurring + post processing would be ecstasy / agony!

Game runs so nicely at 60fps but it's disappointing that the rifle reloads at 30fps. It's quite noticable in the context of 60fps gameplay.

nullref

Bummer. The port seems lazier than I had hoped.
Rebinding Quick turnaround to something like EXTRA MOUSE BUTTON 1 doesn't work. It recognizes the mouse button, but then won't work in-game.

I also don't understand why they couldn't implement mouselook to cause a change in walking direction? Doing mouse AIM and then looking around WILL cause a change in walking direction, so why can't mouse look do the same? Feels inconsistent.
Also don't like the sluggish mouse. It is too slow in look mode, but when sensitivity is increased to compensate for that it is too fast in aim mode.

All little input things that add up to a subpar first impression.

The way the mouse works seems like a reasonable design choice if you consider it from the perspective of preserving the original mechanics.

Basically, using the mouse while in look mode is not an especially important function in the game -- it was just an extra little feature mapped to the camera stick on the GameCube controller.

gooface

Banned
I really hope this game is successful enough, so that Capcom brings their entire legacy catalog to pc. I've been waiting for years to play RE1, RE2, RE3 and Dino Crisis on pc. Next on my most wanted list is Dragon's Dogma. Okami would be awesome as well.

All I want from them is to remove RE5 GFWL, and give us possibly a gold edition (since we never got one) I might be dreaming though.

Grief.exe

Those missing GameCube Shaders really hurts when looking at El Gigante in those shots. For me the UltimateHD Edition will never be the ultimate version due to that.

Hope that some hero modders will do what Capcom don't !

I don't really miss them during actual gameplay.

You know what I do notice, and appreciate, every second of play? 60 frames per fucking second.

The way the mouse works in the game seems like a reasonable design choice if you consider it from the perspective of preserving the original mechanics of the game.

Basically, using the mouse while in look mode is not an especially important function in the game -- it was just an extra little feature mapped to the camera stick on the GameCube controller.

I agree.

Wait, wait, wait... what's all this color filter stuff? Is this the neat setting they were being mum about during pre-release? I saw post-processing in the options but had no idea what it was, but there's people here doing their own? The hell?

Teach me.

All I want from them is to remove RE5 GFWL and give us possible a gold edition (since we never got one) I might be dreaming though.
Same here, man. Same here. On all points.

collige

Banned
Edit: This got me thinking. Would it be possible to single out specific colour values and add a specular like effect to the enemies?

Not as far as I can tell. The post-processing works by remapping all the pixels on the screen to the new color space.

scitek

I don't really miss them during actual gameplay.

You know what I do notice, and appreciate, every second of play? 60 frames per fucking second.

I appreciate them taking the time to try implementing it, but everything looks like it's in fast forward, so I've opted for 30fps instead. Still, I'm really glad they left things like the option for original textures and 30fps in there. Nice touch.

Guy.brush

The way the mouse works seems like a reasonable design choice if you consider it from the perspective of preserving the original mechanics.

With some tinkering I managed to get Mouse Axis left/right to actually work for left and right rotation.
But that conflicts with the mouselook when you are not moving.

If you go into input.ini and add those MA_RIGHT and MA_LEFT entries it works, but it conflicts with the normal mouse look unfortunately. Still feels a bit better already:

KEY_FORWARD = W
KEY_BACK = S
KEY_RIGHT = MA_RIGHT
KEY_RIGHT = D
KEY_LEFT = MA_LEFT
KEY_LEFT = A

Page Up and Page Down.

I believe this is mapped to Page Up and Page Down by default.

Thanks for the help guys! It got to the point where I had to hook up my DS4 and use it just to rotate the freaking items

And ended up playing for 4-5 hours last night, up to where you meet
salazar
. Haven't played this game since the Gamecube version, but damn do I miss this game. Everything is looking/working great on my i5 2500k/gtx 570, short of some control issues regarding DS4

Grief.exe

I appreciate them taking the time to try implementing it, but everything looks like it's in fast forward, so I've opted for 30fps instead. Still, I'm really glad they left things like the option for original textures and 30fps in there. Nice touch.

I would say just try playing with it on for a couple hours and get used to the difference. Your brain is probably just used to perceiving the game at 30FPS.

Spaghetti

probably in the minor, but i prefer the muddier look of the original or hd edition textures compared to the really sharp fan-made stuff.

the really great (and i mean that) fan textures really only serve to show the inadequacy of the geometry compared to more modern games, the more simplistic lighting, the lack of/low quality visual effects, etc.

with the dirtier textures it all sort of... fits, y'know?

Zeth

Playing this game for the first time tonight. Don't ask how I missed it for this long.

Planning to use 360 controller, but how is it with mouse+kb? Not so good?

Kadin

Playing this game for the first time tonight. Don't ask how I missed it for this long.

Planning to use 360 controller, but how is it with mouse+kb? Not so good?
I tried to play with kb/m but I'm simply too used to playing with a controller. I wouldn't say it's bad but for me, it's clearly better with a controller. Coming in new, I'd give it a chance if those are what you typically prefer.

nullref

every time I set the game to 60 fps the game runs in complete slow motion. Why is that? Am I doing something wrong?

The way the game works is unlike how PC games generally work -- everything is timed by the framerate. The game either runs at a fixed 60hz, or fixed 30hz. If you've set it to 60hz, and your PC can't keep up to that refresh rate, the game will slow down.

Basically, it means you need to turn down your graphics options so your computer can keep up to 60hz, or you need to drop to 30hz.

At least, this is my understanding. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Grief.exe

The way the game works is unlike how PC games generally work -- everything is timed by the frame rate. The game either runs at a fixed 60hz, or fixed 30hz. If you've set it to 60hz, and your PC can't keep up to that refresh rate, the game will slow down.

Basically, it means you need to turn down your graphics options so your computer can keep up to 60hz, or you need to drop to 30hz.

At least, this is my understanding. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

That is correct. Animations are timed by framerate rather than seconds.

collige

Banned
Has anyone managed to get a 120Hz version working or is it a lost cause? I only tried for a little bit, but all I ended up getting was the slow mo syndrome.

To those who are playing with the gradients, what effect does this gradient have?

Yo9TiPF.png
I'll try this when I get home. My guess is that it will look like the greyscale version I did except with different colors of the rainbow instead of light and dark parts. It probably won't be easy on the eyes since the entire screen will be at full brightness and saturation.

Or it just won't work at all.

d00d3n

The AA compatibility bit 0x000000C1 and the sli compatibility bit 0x00400005 posted earlier in the thread worked great for me. I got a serious startup freeze bug when activating sgssaa for some reason, but it was resolved by setting the multisample AA in-game and enhancing the AA mode with sparse grid in nvidia inspector. Remember to inactivate motion blur, which looks outright awful when sgssaa is activated.

So um...

Chapter 1-3 is fucked or something.

Continued freezes there. I can't progress. Verified files/cache and still nothing.

jFzWw74oPqOZH.png

^I kill some enemies, pick a few things up, and before I can get out of the area it freezes.

Dr Dogg

Get through the whole Village section with no deaths and then as soon as I get into the Castle I get 6 in the first level. 5 of which were from Ashley lagging behind.

Get through the whole Village section with no deaths and then as soon as I get into the Castle I get 6 in the first level. 5 of which were from Ashley lagging behind.

Wow. I think I got an Ashley related game over like 3 times ever, not counting me *accidentally* shooting her.

Eggs are fun.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For those wondering why RE4 only supports 16:9 resolutions, the UI is actually rendered INSIDE the game world.

You can see an example I made below.

ui_example_by_aloo81-d717oqs.gif

There are literal, black bars floating behind Leon at all times while you play.

collige

Banned
For those wondering why RE4 only supports 16:9 resolutions, the UI is actually rendered INSIDE the game world.

I wish they would have gotten rid of this for the port so that post processing wouldn't mess with the UI. Or even better, give us an option to play without it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Wow that's really bizarre, is this a common thing in games? Or is this relatively unique to Resident Evil 4 / CAPCOM games?

So the gamecube game ran at 16:9 even if you had a CRT?

Ridley327

So the gamecube game ran at 16:9 even if you had a CRT?

Yeah, the game rendered the matte bars, so it effectively ran at 640x360. The PS2 and Wii versions of the game did fill in the picture on 16:9 TVs, but in the most amusingly lazy way possible: they zoomed in, so the image quality got hit pretty hard.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
IQ is awful with and without anti-aliasing, probably due to weird DOF used and film grain used to hide blemishes in the original build. SGSSAA @ 1920x1080 doesn't help much, so I've found running the game at 3200x1800 downsampled to 1920x1080 with no AA (driver or engine) gives me the sharpest image quality with little aliasing and a solid 60fps. Motion blur looks fucking awful so off it goes.

Just need someone like Durante to come in an add ambient occlusion and we'll call it a day. Game is pure sex and perfection distilled into digital form. Absolute masterpiece. Could remake the entire thing from the ground up with modern graphics and it'd be better than an overwhelming 90%+ of shit released today.

Dude that's hilarious. Learn something new every day.

scitek

I would say just try playing with it on for a couple hours and get used to the difference. Your brain is probably just used to perceiving the game at 30FPS.

No, I'm positive some things animate too quickly, namely water, breaking barrels/boxes/exploding heads (basically anything that falls), and that coupled with the 30fps animations of things like the fire, reload animations, etc. just doesn't give it the appearance I want.

That is odd, is it something that can be changed as people start doing texture mods and the like?

Top Bottom