• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar acquires Mad Doc; Forms Rockstar New England

Rockstar Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today the formation of Rockstar New England through the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Andover, MA-based Mad Doc Software, one of the premier independent development studios in North America.

"The team at Mad Doc Software is extremely talented," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "Bringing them within the Rockstar Games family will enhance our core technology and further support our commitment to creating progressive and innovative gaming experiences."

Established in 1999 by Dr. Ian Lane Davis, Mad Doc Software has led development on and provided contracting services for triple-A titles, with a particular focus on artificial intelligence and networking. The studio most recently worked with Rockstar Games on the Xbox 360 version of the critically acclaimed Bully: Scholarship Edition.

"To be a part of Rockstar Games is an amazing opportunity for everyone here," said Dr. Davis, Studio Head of the new Rockstar New England. "We're eager to bring our expertise to bear in the character-driven, open-world stories that make Rockstar Games titles so uniquely compelling."

What? Mad Doc produces one of the worst ports of all-time and then Rockstar thinks it's a good idea to acquire them?

Don't tell Costanza.

diddlyD

Banned
Sam Houser and "Dr." Ian Lane Davis are probably best old friends or something. thats usually why these deals go down.

and seriously, hanging on to the "Dr." thing when you're in a position that's totally unrelated is just the douche-baggiest of douche bag things to do...

Pimpbaa

swander said:
Mad Doc handled the GTA4 PS3 development iirc

Framerate dips into the teens and tons of freezing confirmed for the ps3 version. God Bully feels so unfinished. Even tho they fixed the freezing, the terrible framerates are still unacceptable. These guys will tarnish the Rockstar brand.

gdt

diddlyD said:
Sam Houser and "Dr." Ian Lane Davis are probably best old friends or something. thats usually why these deals go down.

and seriously, hanging on to the "Dr" thing when you're in a position that's totally unrelated is just the douche-baggiest of douche bag things to do...

Its a conspiracy.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
4ulkh76.gif

Costanza

Banned
There is no fucking amount of "......................" that can express how at a loss for words I am after reading this news.

Costanza said:
There is no fucking amount of "......................" that can express how at a loss for words I am after reading this news.
God dammit. Who told you? WHO?

EDIT: But seriously, Mad Doc working on the PS3 version of GTA4 is a joke...right guys?

Costanza

Banned
"The team at Mad Doc Software is extremely talented," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games.

I can't fucking breathe :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

If they'll be in charge of porting Rockstar games, maybe being owned by Rockstar will bring some consistency... please?

I'm trying to stay positive - Bully 360 was one of the worst ports I've ever played.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What!??!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously, what?

AND they're handling the PS3 port of GTA4?

Oh man...

Ohhhh man......

HAHA!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
FlyinJ said:
What!??!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously, what?

AND they're handling the PS3 port of GTA4?

Oh man...

Ohhhh man......

HAHA!

They're not. It's handled by a split dev team in house. There would be no way of getting both versions out at the same time if it was handed off to another dev like the Orange Box.

The Hermit

Derail but
bob2.jpg

I saw some pics of this... er, thing and I still don´t know WTF is going on... someone care to explain?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Before the meltdowns, development just wrapped on Bully probably a month ago. There's no way they're on GTA4.

Sylar

Banned
You guy's would be sad if I told you who were on the development team over there.

Here's just a little taste:

Ex
Looking Glass Studios
Irrational
Iron Lore
Harmonix
Atari

devs.

swander

Baiano19 said:
Derail but
bob2.jpg

I saw some pics of this... er, thing and I still don´t know WTF is going on... someone care to explain?

a photography series by charlie white, "understanding joshua"
the puppet represents male anxiety

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Sylar said:
You guy's would be sad if I told you who were on the development team over there.

Ex
Looking Glass Studios
Irrational
Iron Lore
Harmonix
Atari

devs.

Every studio fires people. Good to see they all found work after being terminated.

FlyinJ said:
Every studio fires people. Good to see they all found work after being terminated.

This.

I agree though, there is no way logistically that they could be working on the PS3 version of GTA IV after just finishing up Bully not too long ago.

Pimpbaa

Sylar said:

Ex
Looking Glass Studios
Irrational
Iron Lore
Harmonix
Atari

devs.

They must be awefully depressed and unmotivated then. Maybe if they made their own original game they would be more willing to not make a pile of shit :/

Costanza

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
This.

I agree though, there is no way logistically that they could be working on the PS3 version of GTA IV after just finishing up Bully not too long ago.
Well, how much of their team was working on Bully?

Sylar

Banned
FlyinJ said:

LGS - Disbanded
Irrational - Some people didn't like the new direction of the company, left
Iron Lore - Disbanded
HMX - People didn't like the new direction of the company after Amplitude

So no, not all fired.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I love Houser's response to the Bully problems. How he was "shocked" that it had massive framerate/stuttering/crashing issues... and said he never saw any.

Then he goes and purchases the studio. Seriously, what the fuck. The guy isn't stupid... or is he?

Costanza

Banned
Scottlarock said:
my copy of bully is on ebay. FU MADDOC!
I sold mine :D 36 bucks.

I took the 14 dollar loss if only to ensure that 1 more person bought it used instead of contributing to the sales numbers.

even though I own it I could care less what they did with Bully for the 360, i'm still pissed about how they Handled Star Trek Legacy, my innner nerd still burns

Top Bottom