• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #139 - "Outsider"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Timing has always been soft, word count has always been a hard cap. Cut those words and get it under the limit.

Carlisle

Did my (first ever) paragraph summary and outline today. Outline is pretty basic, though, so maybe I'll go into more detail with characters, etc. But right now it's mostly just story beats, character arcs, and motivations. But already there are some advantages! It lets me focus solely on the plot and developing characters, whereas when I one-and-done it I'm doing that while also worrying about verbiage, prose, flow, vocabulary, pace, etc. I can put more effort into each part when I'm not trying to do them all at once.

Mike M

Nick N
So I did the outline part for a whole story, but it's kind of an episodic thing with each part being something mostly self contained set years apart from one another.

You all only get the first story :p

Nezumi

I have a bunch of pictures and stuff floating around in my head but so far none of them wants to hatch into a story.

Nezumi

Damn it. Me and my poor time managment. Totally forgot that we are going out tonight and I can't spend the whole evening writing :(
Just started now and see if I can finish it before having to leave. Otherwise I just hope that there are even worse procrastinators than I am so I can finish it first thing tomorrow morning...

Nezumi

Just decided that I'm not gonna be able to finish the story as I had planned originally in time. I'm just gonna take a part of it and make it a stand alone piece. I'm not really happy with this but still better than submitting nothing.

Aaron

Does that work for longer stories as well? I'd think that you need far more planning for longer works.
I was only speaking of short stories. Though for longer works I just keep writing new outlines instead of editing them. It ends up being faster since I would be making sweeping changes.

Carlisle

Letters From The Lost
1,947 Words

My shortest story yet! Man, I set out to write something around 12-15 hundred words or so, and still just skirted the limit. Writing out the plot and outlining the events helped immensely to keep the scope, though. And as I was filling everything in, more ideas poured in and I shuffled them in. It was a pretty organic process and I enjoyed it. Planning isn't a strong suit for me, but as long as I can force myself to start far enough in advance I'd like to keep doing this method. The biggest difference between doing it this way and just winging it was there was never a moment where I just stopped and went, "now what?" Whereas that might happen half a dozen times or so when I don't have an outline sitting in front of me.

Valhelm

contribute something
Letters From The Lost
1,947 Words

My shortest story yet! Man, I set out to write something around 12-15 hundred words or so, and still just skirted the limit. Writing out the plot and outlining the events helped immensely to keep the scope, though. And as I was filling everything in, more ideas poured in and I shuffled them in. It was a pretty organic process and I enjoyed it. Planning isn't a strong suit for me, but as long as I can force myself to start far enough in advance I'd like to keep doing this method. The biggest difference between doing it this way and just winging it was there was never a moment where I just stopped and went, "now what?" Whereas that might happen half a dozen times or so when I don't have an outline sitting in front of me.

The twist in this one is fucking phenomenal. I'm impressed.

Valhelm

contribute something
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom