• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Deques

Why does it want you to install that extra extension though? I'm probably being too paranoid but that weirds me out a little

Just ignore the extra extensions. The addon is great, but the developers aren't. They nag you to install their other extensions when they have new updates

wilflare

treading on OCD... but is there a way to remove "Other Bookmarks" totally? and not just hide it?
EDIT: nvm, seems like it's a feature. lol

Chris R

How do I completely disable the Google now popups that keep showing up in the lower right corner of my screen?

I've gone and told the popups to never show up again each time one pops up but it looks like they keep coming back no matter what I do :(

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
How do I completely disable the Google now popups that keep showing up in the lower right corner of my screen?

I've gone and told the popups to never show up again each time one pops up but it looks like they keep coming back no matter what I do :(

Not sure if this is it but there's an option to disable notifications

go to -> chrome://settings/content

and find "Notifications". There's an option "Do not allow any site to show desktop notifications"

edit: or maybe this

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/4414004?hl=en

Chris R

I already have that value set in my settings, but it looks like all google services are exempt and I can't remove the exceptions.

And I don't see the icon in my tray (I think I told it to never show up there again when I first saw it) and don't know how to make it come back so I can turn this other shit off.

I'd hate to be forced to uninstall Chrome :(

edit: Found a google now flag, we will see if that fixes the issue...

KalBalboa

Banned
Forgive me if I'm late to this party, but Chrome has recently started displaying fonts, specifically on GAF, in a rather ugly manner.

I haven't changed any monitor settings recently and every other site I browse looks AOK- so is there something I'm missing that might have occurred in a background update of sorts? What's worse is that the site looks perfect in IE.

Forgive me if I'm late to this party, but Chrome has recently started displaying fonts, specifically on GAF, in a rather ugly manner.

I haven't changed any monitor settings recently and every other site I browse looks AOK- so is there something I'm missing that might have occurred in a background update of sorts? What's worse is that the site looks perfect in IE.

What version of Chrome?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

What version of Chrome?

Yeah what version of Chrome? What OS? Mobile or Desktop? Have you checked other browsers to see if the same happens?

Yeah what version of Chrome? What OS? Mobile or Desktop? Have you checked other browsers to see if the same happens?

Well he said it doesn't happen in IE so i assume he's on a Windows desktop. Newer versions of Chrome have some experimental DirectWrite support, but i think you still need to go out of your way to enable it, and it will make the fonts look bad in a very specific way, so that may not be the problem the poster is experiencing

Edit: It's probably this bug. My guess is that KalBalboa is using Canary.

eU50SDy.png

I hope this isn't a bug. #fat4life

Edit: Maybe I'm going mad, but didn't previous versions of Chrome have the thin scrollbars on every site?

eU50SDy.png

I hope this isn't a bug. #fat4life

You mean the fact that the scrollbar is wider than before? No, it's not a bug. In a previous version of Chrome, ChromeOS style scrollbars were introduced (narrow width, with no arrows at the top and bottom). In the most recent version, that was changed so that arrows are back and the width of the scrollbar is the same as a standard Windows scrollbar.

Ha, I just edited as you replied. I was sure that was the case, but then I saw the slim scrollbars on Google News and thought I'd imagined them being there all the time.

Ha, I just edited as you replied. I was sure that was the case, but then I saw the slim scrollbars on Google News and thought I'd imagined them being there all the time.

Yea, it sucks, but webpages have the ability to provide their own scrollbars. They basically lie to the browser and say they don't need to scroll, then render their own scrollbar. Gmail does it too, it sucks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chrome 34 has been released. I believe that it has the thicker scrollbars with arrows for Windows, yes.

Yea, it sucks, but webpages have the ability to provide their own scrollbars. They basically lie to the browser and say they don't need to scroll, then render their own scrollbar. Gmail does it too, it sucks.

Actually it's pretty easy to style scrollbars in CSS, no lying needed. It's not cross-browser though, and Firefox doesn't support it at all.

wilflare

there's a flag called "Overlay Scrollbars" which make them more like mobile. This would probably be the default if people didn't freak out.

this is sweet!
sigh I have no idea why WebM causes my Chrome to go "Awww Snap"

any other nice flags I should enable?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
this is sweet!
sigh I have no idea why WebM causes my Chrome to go "Awww Snap"

any other nice flags I should enable?

most of them just enable web apis in development. They're not much use.

if videos are crashing you could try disabling hardware-accelerated video decode. That used to cause problems.

you can see what Chrome is doing with hardware acceleration by going to about:gpu

KniL

It's just me or in the last Chrome Canary, when you maximize the window it's a bit out of screen?

Windows 8 64 bits.
36.0.1932.2 canary

RRDvLtk.png

QplTZFd.png

It's just me or in the last Chrome Canary, when you maximize the window it's a bit out of screen?

Windows 8 64 bits.
36.0.1932.2 canary

RRDvLtk.png

QplTZFd.png

I'm definitely seeing this. I suspect it's due to a precision error transferring the gpu buffer back to the browser because of some issue related to 64-bitness.

wilflare

most of them just enable web apis in development. They're not much use.

if videos are crashing you could try disabling hardware-accelerated video decode. That used to cause problems.

you can see what Chrome is doing with hardware acceleration by going to about:gpu

hmm.. which flag should I disable then for WebM?
hmm I can view them individually.. but when I use Andrex's extension.. Chrome will go Awww Snap on certain pages when many WebM are loaded (even when I set it to hover to play etc)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
if the only time it's happening is when you're using that extension then it's probably not that what I said. I'm not sure what it would be.

For the past two months are so youtube videos half the time just don't load, it will have a black box and I have to refresh the page multiple times for it to work, anyone with the same problem and a solution?

Pics_nao

Using Chrome on my Surface Pro and it's all wonky now. Touch is all fucked up. Trying to click on a link using touch makes it click something else on the other side of the page. Like trying to click submit reply just clicks on the message box. Clicking on the message box clicks on bold. Anyone know how to fix this? Uninstalling Chrome 50 times didn't work >_>

Also, Windows 8 mode is like a super small window in the top left corner of the screen that I can't fix and afaik, stays that way unless I uninstall Chrome. Anyone know how to fix these? Any help would be appreciated.

Using Chrome on my Surface Pro and it's all wonky now. Touch is all fucked up. Trying to click on a link using touch makes it click something else on the other side of the page. Like trying to click submit reply just clicks on the message box. Clicking on the message box clicks on bold. Anyone know how to fix this? Uninstalling Chrome 50 times didn't work >_>

Also, Windows 8 mode is like a super small window in the top left corner of the screen that I can't fix and afaik, stays that way unless I uninstall Chrome. Anyone know how to fix these? Any help would be appreciated.

There's no fix for this right now, chrome on high dpi displays is borked, not sure when it will be fixed.

benjipwns

Banned
Hey, they fixed whatever was causing CPU usage to spike to 100% on a random tab on Linux/Ubuntu. Thought that was never going away.

Pics_nao

Managed to find a temporary fix for my previous problem. Now I'm running into the infinite loading page thing more often. Any fix for this? Happens on Gaf more than any other site >_>

Kansoku

Does anyone knows of a way to have a sidebar like in Firefox (and older Opera)? Especially if it's like OmniSidebar which can auto-hide to the side, and move the cursor to the edge of the page to show it again.

Maybe not the best place to ask this, but I've been running some scripts through Tampermonkey (basically Greasemonkey for Chrome) which stop working every time userscripts.org goes down. Which, of late, seems to be more often than not, often for days at a time. Is there a way to run these scripts without relying on that site? Do I need to host them myself / somewhere else? I'm not even sure why they have to "phone home" at all, to be honest.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Maybe not the best place to ask this, but I've been running some scripts through Tampermonkey (basically Greasemonkey for Chrome) which stop working every time userscripts.org goes down. Which, of late, seems to be more often than not, often for days at a time. Is there a way to run these scripts without relying on that site? Do I need to host them myself / somewhere else? I'm not even sure why they have to "phone home" at all, to be honest.

Why not just use Stylish? It saves them locally from userscripts. Advantage is you can make customizations.

Top Bottom