• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

Gator86

MS isnt pulling no PS3. The only reason why PS3 was able to bounce back is because of Sony's first party support and the devs talented enough to exploit Cell in said 1st party. MS got to comfortable coasting on 3rd parties last gen and now its biting them.

This is around what I'm thinking. A lot of people are saying MS can make a comeback but there doesn't seem to be a lot of avenues to do it. Its only a big seller in two countries versus Sony being worldwide. No way they can afford to money hat being outsold 2 to 1 so third party advantage is out. And their first party isnt going to save them either. While they may be fun games, I doubt black tusk gears reboot and 343 Halo are gonna do anything to turn the tables. Aside from those, MS first party isnt that fearsome. Then to top things off, the PS4 will always be significantly more powerful and cheaper. Good luck with that comeback. Its not impossible but it seems pretty unlikely.

Do I smell Bish monitoring this thread? RUN AWAY!

In all seriousness though, Microsoft is gonna pick up the pace this E3 for sure cause of this. Sadly it might be them announcing games that won't be complete for another 2-3 years or they may even throw out money and buy out companies. Worked in the past, let us see if it works now.

I don't see that happening. I think Microsoft will stick to what has worked in the past (i.e., previewing 2014 games and teasing 2015 games). I do think they should consider buying more companies though. Maybe not more but they should have been strategic about developers during last gen. They should have probably bought Red Lynx and they should have looked into purchasing BioWare.

Lesson learned? Maybe.

MS will get aggressive here, they always do, they will lower price to $399 I believe.

I don't think so. I think we're looking at a perminent price cut to $450, with probably two pack-in games. If they keep the Kinect, that would be a good value proposition. If they continue to get killed by Sony, maybe they look into dropping to $400 or dropping the Kinect this holiday season, though I don't think that they will drop the Kinect in a year.

I don't think we know the PC vs XO ratio though for Titanfall sales.

I can't remember the last time I saw a retail PC game being sold so that has to be some sort of clue as to the ratio as reported by NPD.

Orayn

A younger part of me dreams of a scenario where Nintendo...
  • Makes some major internal changes and accepts that the DS and Wii were unprecedented hits that can't be replicated
  • Relegates the Wii U to GBA-after-DS status
  • Quickly designs and launches a console that comes out mid-gen at a competitive price
  • Manages to make something that's similar to the PS4 and Xbone in specs and architecture, isn't laughably behind in any particular area, and still has some unique elements that make it feel like a Nintendo product
  • Actually succeeds in un-burning some bridges with third parties and getting major games on the damn thing
  • Finds some modicum of success in this dangerous market
Let me dream, GAF. This is a contrite, broken ex-fanboy imagining a scenario where his favorite first party isn't completely dead or irrelevant.

That said, the older part of me sees constantly falling Wii U sales numbers and a barren release schedule that's only getting worse. It's like the bad future from Fringe. Walter Bishop, please help.

Krakn3Dfx

So seems like Titanfall did well, bit mostly with existing One owners. Not super surprised, but I did expect Microsoft to pull out a win for March, even if only by a few thousand. 60k is pretty crazy. Gratz to Sony.

Ridley327

While I doubt it would have been much better otherwise, it should be noted that retail is very, very, very constrained on Vitas right now, due to the transition from the 1000 model to the 2000 that's hitting at the beginning of May. Whatever 1000s are out there right now is all that Sony has left, as they haven't shipped a damn thing.

If it's as bad as it looks, I expect the April numbers to dip even further for the Vita.

TomShoe

Banned
Ok. I'm confused, how is this month bad for MS only when TF was #1 in sales on the chart?

Because it was their "big huge megaton system seller" that was supposed to turn things around and even the sales race with Sony, and yet PS4 still outsold it even with the Titanfall bundles and vouchers and discounts, not to mention the gigantic ad campaign depicting it as a system seller.

Ok. I'm confused, how is this month bad for MS only when TF was #1 in sales on the chart?

Because they spent millions of dollars promoting the game, marketed the hell out of it with bundles, limited edition controllers, etc. This was their big game for the season and it failed to really move hardware.

Eh...The PS3 was carried by rest of the world.
Right now, the XB division is in a worst shape than the PS3 situation since the MS brand isn't that strong outside of NA/UK.
PS3 came back from a fricken 1 year sales gap + stupid high price because of the WW numbers and strong brand support. But X1? It is almost dead on arrival for most countries, hence why MS probably didn't want to ship extra units to other 2nd/3rd tier countries and wasting marketing/shipping resources for doing so.

MS isnt pulling no PS3. The only reason why PS3 was able to bounce back is because of Sony's first party support and the devs talented enough to exploit Cell in said 1st party. MS got to comfortable coasting on 3rd parties last gen and now its biting them.
I understand that the WW numbers were strong, but Sony's first party efforts also played their part. A big reason why people were buying their console was a combination of price drop + exclusives + bluray capabilities. PS3 was a cheap bluray player during its initial launch year, and it was pretty decent as well. Multiplatform games were generally worse on the PS3 so i don't see them as a reason to get the console. I tend to think that exclusives moved PS3s for Sony.

The question is, can Microsoft do something similar? Can they create their own first party studios and release exclusives for their system, that end up selling the hardware? Before people talk about TitanFall not moving enough hardware, let me point out that it was not an exclusive per se(PC and 360), and many might have brought Xbox One already to play it. So it didn't really move significant amount of units than say, Metal Gear Solid 4 for PS3.

IMO, it is stupid to determine the success of an exclusive on the basis of it moving hardware. People don't buy a brand new hardware for a exclusive release in that month. They buy hardware months before the release of the exclusive, if they really want it. People might have already brought PS4 in anticipation of Uncharted, The Last of Us and potentially more PS4 exclusives in the future. It is not like they will be waiting for the particular month when it gets released.

Sporran

Yes they know what they need to do @MicrosoftUK. £299 baby and i will help your numbers! Wont help your NPD data but i will certainly help you.

Hardware:

Xbone: 311k
PS4: 371k
Wii U: 70k
Vita: ~10k
3DS: 159k
Wii: 28k
PS3: ???
360: 111K
PSP: 5k

Is 60k a huge difference in hardware sales? It seems like a drop in the bucket, but it's been a couple years since I've looked at sales figures. Everyone is acting like Xbone is done for

The PSP is still good for running homebrew apps.

What's a PSP cost these days anyway? The only homebrew stuff I've heard about is taking tripping out of brawl and making Pokemon trainer's pokemon individually playable and taking out the shake to roll in Donkey Kong Returns. What else do people use it for?

2013 was up on 2012 because of 1) the release of a budget SKU and 2) the release of Pokemon, Nintendo's strongest handheld franchise.

The equivalent PSP year was when it reached its zenith in terms of TTM sales, the sales in the year were 3.8M i.e. roughly the same as 3DS sales last year which it's down significantly. The PSP was behind, launch aligned by 1.1M three months ago i.e. ~400K of that advantage to the 3DS dissipated in 13 weeks.

If there's to be a 3DS resurgence... what exactly is going to cause it?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
According to creamsugar, inFamous sold more than 500K in the US and according to Sony over 1 million WW. Titanfall also sold double inFamous's US amount. And upcoming games like Destiny, Watch Dogs, Arkham Knight, and Uncharted 4 will sell even more.

They said it hit that number 9 days after launch, so around March 30th. I wonder what it's at now.

i really hope not. it will really kill the xbox one.

the whole xbox experience is because of kinect. in the sense that it what makes the system different.

i am not really happy with this news and i own both systems ps4 and xbox one.

but to see one system sells less than the other even tho the price dropped and released a big game just because that system is selling based on hype alone is kinda sad.

again, i own both systems. and not i only love my playstation 4, i adore it. but at the end of the day i play games on it. and currently xbox one just released a big profile game i expected the xbox one to out sell it

You think the PS4 is outselling the X1 based on hype alone? It couldn't have something to do with the negativity surrounding Microsoft's May reveal, the abysmal E3 showing from MS, the more resounding "gamer first" message Sony has been on point with, the flip flopping in MS strategy, the lower price of the PS4, the forced kinect SKU that made the X1 more expensive, the weaker X1 hardware, the more available as well as announced games for PS4, the better multiplats, etc....

No? Just hype?

Because what followed was a cocky Sony telling fans "you will want to get 2 jobs to buy this $600 PS3"

New Sony is cool though. They're all humble and listening to gamers now. They learned their lesson and have been rewarded for via PS4 sales. I don't think they will change their ways anytime soon considering Kaz's leadership of Sony and the uncertain fate of console gaming.

Zalman

Is 60k a huge difference in hardware sales? It seems like a drop in the bucket, but it's been a couple years since I've looked at sales figures. Everyone is acting like Xbone is done for
It's big when you think about how hyped up the Titanfall launch was. A lot of people (including myself) expected Xbox One to outsell the PS4 in last month. If it can't even do it in March, it definitely won't for a long time.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
60k difference for one month is nothing. It's when there's a consistent 100k+ difference people should take notice.

People acting like Xbone is done for are fools and probably fanboys.

It's more the widening gap between the systems. The gap is already approaching 3 million. The PS4 could be double the XB1 before the year's end

A younger part of me dreams of a scenario where Nintendo...
  • Makes some major internal changes and accepts that the DS and Wii were unprecedented hits that can't be replicated
  • Relegates the Wii U to GBA-after-DS status
  • Quickly designs and launches a console that comes out mid-gen at a competitive price
  • Manages to make something that's similar to the PS4 and Xbone in specs and architecture, isn't laughably behind in any particular area, and still has some unique elements that make it feel like a Nintendo product
  • Actually succeeds in un-burning some bridges with third parties and getting major games on the damn thing
  • Finds some modicum of success in this dangerous market
Let me dream, GAF. This is a contrite, broken ex-fanboy imagining a scenario where his favorite first party isn't completely dead or irrelevant.

That said, the older part of me sees constantly falling Wii U sales numbers and a barren release schedule that's only getting worse. It's like the bad future from Fringe. Walter Bishop, please help.
I don't think they could launch mid gen. Even if they matched the specs of the PS4 and got the same multiplats, people already own PS4s so why buy another similar system?

I have no idea what they can do. Hopefully they're smarter than me.

Before people talk about TitanFall not moving enough hardware, let me point out that it was not an exclusive per se(PC and 360), and many might have brought Xbox One already to play it. So it didn't really move significant amount of units than say, Metal Gear Solid 4 for PS3.

One could argue that the massive rise in US XBO sales (almost 2x) when comparing January 2014 (~140k) to February 2014 (~260k) could be folk prepping themselves to get TitanFall when it comes out later on, thus causing the so called "system-selling" impact of the game to be greatly diminished in the month where it mattered the most.

That trend was also what confidently led many gaffers (myself included) to believe that the XBO was staging a continued comeback for this month, for if that trend continued it should've surpassed the PS4's monthly sales, without a doubt.

I did want to share a congrats to Sony, Microsoft, Respawn, and Sucker Punch. The sales were obviously strong for all 4, even if they may not be what some would have hoped.

I think that Microsoft is now faced with a big decision. The price drops/game pack in part time "promotion" as Major Nelson referred to it, is going to have to be more aggressive, and become an official price drop. The price of the system, coupled with the power of the hardware, are two obstacles Microsoft is going to have to attempt to overcome. Since they cannot rebuild the hardware to eliminate the power discrepancy, that leaves us with price. I wonder what Sony's counter move will be if Microsoft does try to be more aggressive with price, pack ins, or both.

* I could see a situation where Microsoft eats a loss, sells the Xbox One for $399, and announces it at E3. But Sony could quickly counter, and drop the PS4 to $350, touché.

* Or, Microsoft could remove Kinect, sell the Xbox One for $399, but Sony could consider keeping the PS4 priced at $399, but including the PlaystationEye camera. That would be both ironic, and clever.

* Finally, Microsoft simply drops the price of the Xbox One to between $400 to $450 with Kinect, continues to pack in Titanfall or a different game, and Sony stands also packs in a game (Killzone or Knack) staying at $400, and hopes that exclusive Destiny and Watch Dogs Marketing, The Order, The Last Of Us ReRelease, and maybe a late 2014 Uncharted 4 is enough to get them through 2014 without dropping the price.

I feel one of these scenarios is going to happen. It isn't simply going to be Microsoft making really aggressive moves and Sony doing absolutely nothing.

Top Bottom