• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "Bringing more than hype, bringing Games"

ClearData

What would qualify as a megaton for Microsoft at this year's E3? It sounds like most of the good stuff has been leaked or mentioned.

Could they buy a title? Maybe six months of the next gen GTAV and first rights to DLC? I'm not sure what announcement could make the masses jump off their couches to go grab an Xbox after not having done so for several months. So I am just guessing here as to what Phil and co. might trout out.

Gestault

I think Phil is repeating this "games" meassage only because MS PR people told him to do so because that's what fans right now want to hear. I just can't believe he's that passionate about games.

Someone please change my mind. I used to like the guy, but those couple of weeks I just can't shake the feeling that he's doing all "games" stuff only because he's trying to please (bullshit?) the fans.

I dunno, starting with the first E3 after the XB1 reveal event (which I've seen many confuse), they've been fairly solid on game announcements and releases. In terms of first and second-party titles brought to market, Microsoft's been doing very well on current-gen. Highlighting that game focus doesn't seem so much a slant as it is a reasonable characterization of what they've done. It was necessary after the flat (that's putting it charitably) reaction to the media-focused reveal event, but they seemed to address it within the timeframe just after that.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It's not just him. The CEO of the entire company put him in place and is entirely behind his vision. If Phil wants something done, he can get it done.

Why are people making Phil out to be some sort of deity for the Xbox wing? I am sure he will do some great, great things for the brand but don't get crazy here.

Kinect is useless for people like me who will never use it. This is why I'm waiting for a Kinectless bundle before I purchase an Xboxone. I don't want more crap cluttering my gaming room with stuff I'll only use for 5 minutes.

You pretty much can't use the system without Kinect. Yes you technically can disconnect it, but it is used in so many ways from user login, to code scanning, controller tracking, to Xbox record that/broadcast, to turning on your tv/volume that using the system without Kinect is just stupid. You'd be insane to use this system without it.

With Cortana for Xbox and VR coming down the line this would be an incredibly unlikely and stupid time to remove Kinect. What they need to do is show some great Kinect games that make people want to buy the system in addition to controller games.

As we saw with both Xbox 360 and Wii they have a better chance at success by promoting games that can't be matched on competing devices.

Why are people making Phil out to be some sort of deity for the Xbox wing? I am sure he will do some great, great things for the brand but don't get crazy here.

Surely it depends on what he wants to get done? Needs to sort out app paywall and ID@Xbox to start with

StuBurns

Banned
Money-hatting is completely different. The game has already been completed or is going to be. It's going to exist whether MS pays for it or not. In a way, it's more like bribery. "If you don't release this game on other systems, we'll give you money." I mean, not really bribery exactly, but at any rate it's very different from actually paying for the production of a game.
Okay, let's put it this way.

You're a very rich guy, you decide what you want more than anything is a sequel to Psychonauts, so you talk to DoubleFine, and they're on board, and you speak to Erik Wolpaw, and he gets an okay from Valve to take a sabbatical, and they're going to make this dream game for you, and it's going to cost $30m.

You're three years into a four year development, and you're unsure about the project, it was ultimately meant to be an investment, and you're not confident it's going to make a return, but a first party approaches you and says not only will they compensate you, you're still going to own the publishing rights. Now the game is being made anyway, you get to keep the profit, and all you had to give up was publishing on the rival platform.

Is that meaningfully different than having had that first party do it from the start?

If EA weren't sure they prefer the moneyhat to Sony's sales, they wouldn't have made the deal. A first party can't just force these deals to happen, the publisher has to be okay with it, and if they are, it's because they're unsure about the project without assistance.

Chettlar

Banned

I don't see the issue with the post. That's what "the boss" gets to do. I never once said he'll get to do all these crazy, impractical things. I said, as boss, he is in charge of what goes, and the boss of bosses at his company, Nadella, is behind him. He has an extreme amount of freedom now.

"He can do what he wants now." It's pretty simple. Yes, he can. That doesn't mean he'll go crazy. I never said or implied anything of the kind.

Okay, let's put it this way.

You're a very rich guy, you decide what you want more than anything is a sequel to Psychonauts, so you talk to DoubleFine, and they're on board, and you speak to Erik Wolpaw, and he gets an okay from Valve to take a sabbatical, and they're going to make this dream game for you, and it's going to cost $30m.

You're three years into a four year development, and you're unsure about the project, it was ultimately meant to be an investment, and you're not confident it's going to make a return, but a first party approaches you and says not only will they compensate you, you're still going to own the publishing rights. Now the game is being made anyway, you get to keep the profit, and all you had to give up was publishing on the rival platform.

Is that meaningfully different than having had that first party do it from the start?

If EA weren't sure they prefer the moneyhat to Sony's sales, they wouldn't have made the deal. A first party can't just force these deals to happen, the publisher has to be okay with it, and if they are, it's because they're unsure about the project without assistance.

I'm talking about the difference between 2nd party and 3rd party development. Yes, there are dozens of combinations in between, but they are still two distinct things.

You're taking two things that are more in the middle of the two and comparing them.

If we say "game is going to be made, but you basically pay the price of the estimated copies sold on Sony's platforms."

That is completely different than say "game isn't going to be made, so we'll pay for it just like a first party game. We just don't own the company."

RulkezX

I dunno, starting with the first E3 after the XB1 reveal event (which I've seen many confuse), they've been fairly solid on game announcements and releases. In terms of first and second-party titles brought to market, Microsoft's been doing very well on current-gen. Highlighting that game focus doesn't seem so much a slant as it is a reasonable characterization of what they've done. It was necessary after the flat (that's putting it charitably) reaction to the media-focused reveal event, but they seemed to address it within the timeframe just after that.

Most the games shown at those 2 events are still to come out.

I expect a repeat of last year, 2-3 games that will be out soonish followed by a bunch of trailer of games we wont see for 18 months or more. They showed of trailers for Halo , SO t. teh Black Tusk IP and QB and then it's been radio silence for nearly a year whilst the BT games been canned.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So they've sold people over 5 million Kinects and you don't want them to announce Kinect games/apps? That really makes sense. If they don't announce more Kinect stuff then they have a big problem. Why would you buy this system without Kinect? I don't understand the appeal without Kinect. That is the main reason to buy an Xbox.

What's Kinect's appeal? I had the first Kinect, so I already know what a waste it is. Given the choice between cheaper Kinectless model and more expensive Kinect bundle I'll take the cheaper model. Given consumers a choice and let them decide how important it really is.

Fox Mulder

I still think the XB1 will be the top selling console in the US by the end, but in the short term they need some momentum ASAP. And a price cut.

would be quite the turnaround considering everything so far.

Even though it needs a price drop, retailers were offering it for less than the ps4 if you did the math. $450 with titanfall or forza, Target even threw in a year of Live on top of that for a bit. The ps4 still outsold it.

I just hope MS can make the xbox one a compelling purchase. I don't really care if it's the top selling console or not, even the wiiu has great games.

xxracerxx

Surely it depends on what he wants to get done? Needs to sort out app paywall and ID@Xbox to start with

Of course.

I don't see the issue with the post. That's what "the boss" gets to do. I never once said he'll get to do all these crazy, impractical things. I said, as boss, he is in charge of what goes, and the boss of bosses at his company, Nadella, is behind him. He has an extreme amount of freedom now.

"He can do what he wants now." It's pretty simple. Yes, he can. That doesn't mean he'll go crazy. I never said or implied anything of the kind.

Just because he is the head of the department doesn't mean he has free reign though. That is where I am taking issue with your words.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
I think Phil is repeating this "games" meassage only because MS PR people told him to do so because that's what fans right now want to hear. I just can't believe he's that passionate about games.

Someone please change my mind. I used to like the guy, but those couple of weeks I just can't shake the feeling that he's doing all "games" stuff only because he's trying to please (bullshit?) the fans.

he was basically in charge of ms game studios prior to promotion so hes going to be someone who champions games over all else, even during last years e3 press he was switching shirts between each segment so he could expose the ms studio published studios / games seems like something someone would do if they arent just bsing.

Chettlar

Banned
Just because he is the head of the department doesn't mean he has free reign though. That is where I am taking issue with your words.

When he has a CEO who is entirely behind his vision (I mean, Nadella is kind of the guy who, ya know, promoted Phil), I think we can indeed expect decisions that are vastly more indicative of what Phil wants.

He is the "boss" now, and his boss is behind what he does. That's an incredible amount of freedom, no matter how you cut it.

You pretty much can't use the system without Kinect. Yes you technically can disconnect it, but it is used in so many ways from user login, to code scanning, controller tracking, to Xbox record that/broadcast, to turning on your tv/volume that using the system without Kinect is just stupid. You'd be insane to use this system without it.

With Cortana for Xbox and VR coming down the line this would be an incredibly unlikely and stupid time to remove Kinect. What they need to do is show some great Kinect games that make people want to buy the system in addition to controller games.

As we saw with both Xbox 360 and Wii they have a better chance at success by promoting games that can't be matched on competing devices.

Nobody wants to do that though because it's near impossible + much much more expensive development than just building a regular game.

Ask Crytek. Rise was supposed to be 'the' kinect launch game and all their lead devs admitted they had to give up on kinect after 2 years of development.

+ you can't multi-plat Kinect games as any money you put in has to come back from just the limited Xbox One audience.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm talking about the difference between 2nd party and 3rd party development. Yes, there are dozens of combinations in between, but they are still two distinct things.

You're taking two things that are more in the middle of the two and comparing them.

If we say "game is going to be made, but you basically pay the price of the estimated copies sold on Sony's platforms."

That is completely different than say "game isn't going to be made, so we'll pay for it just like a first party game. We just don't own the company."
No, it isn't.

What difference does it make if the moneyhat is for comped sales or comped budget? The effect is the same, EA's risk is reduced/removed, PlayStation platforms are dropped.

Especially when he was in charge of MGS during it's worst years.

Don't get me wrong, I think he can do a good job, and was definitely the right choice but the way people talk about him is just crazy.

It's not just him. The CEO of the entire company put him in place and is entirely behind his vision. If Phil wants something done, he can get it done.

You're putting the cart before the horse here. I'm sure he's in control of a lot of stuff over at Xbox, but he sure as hell doesn't hand out magic tickets. Whatever that means. He's staring down the barrel of a 2+ million lag in sales behind their competitor, a lag which shows no signs of lessening, despite having just launched their ace-in-the-hole (Titanfall) in an effort to turn the tides. I'm sure Phil and his team at Microsoft are planning some big things; exclusives abound at E3, no doubt. But he's not in the business of miracle-work.

blakep267

It all depends on the persons mindset. If ms announces 10 games coming about between June 14-15 some people still wouldn't be impressed jus because of they're mindset. Where as 1 game could make e3 perfect for somebody. If you want the e3 for ms to fail, in your opinion it's gonna fail no matter what they do

Proponent

Banned
Microsoft is getting a lot of shit right now, but they've had the better exlusive lineup since this gen started.

I very much disagree with that statement. If that were the case, I would have bought an Xbox One. *None* of it's exclusives appealed to me very much, or anything more than some average ho hum.

At least PS4 has Killzone ( which may not be for everyone due to its uniqueness ) that I love, and Infamous ( which has short comings ) which is so much fun.

I hope MS brings some Major firepower to E3 because right now the XBO is looking like a big fat giant turd in my book.

What's Kinect's appeal? I had the first Kinect, so I already know what a waste it is. Given the choice between cheaper Kinectless model and more expensive Kinect bundle I'll take the cheaper model. Given consumers a choice and let them decide how important it really is.

Kinect v2 integration in the system is nothing like last generation. You're making an uninformed decision if that is your basis of comparison. See my above post. Using an Xbox 360 without Kinect is fine. Using an Xbox One without Kinect is incredibly stupid. Do you also support giving consumers the choice to buy the system without a game controller or Wi-Fi?

In my household nobody touches the controller except me, but everyone uses the Kinect to log in, turn on the TV/AV even when just watching TV or apps. If I threw the Xbox One game controller in the garbage today nobody in my family would notice and would continue going on using the Xbox One every day. If I threw the Kinect in the garbage, nothing they use the XB1 for would work anymore.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
Was this really worthy of a thread?

What was Spencer supposed to say?

"We're only bringing hype to E3. No games."

I mean, really.

not sure what you think the bar is when it comes to something being thread worthy is but its way lower than this one.

xxracerxx

Kinect v2 integration in the system is nothing like last generation. You're making an uninformed decision if that is your basis of comparison. See my above post. Using an Xbox 360 without Kinect is fine. Using an Xbox One without Kinect is incredibly stupid. Do you also support giving consumers the choice to buy the system without a game controller or Wi-Fi?

In my household nobody touches the controller except me, but everyone uses the Kinect to log in, turn on the TV/AV even when just watching TV or apps. If I threw the Xbox One game controller in the garbage today nobody in my family would notice and would continue going on using the Xbox One every day. If I threw the Kinect in the garbage, nothing they use the XB1 for would work anymore.

What if they just included a microphone with the XBO and got rid of Kinect? Sounds like your family would be able to use the console just fine.

nynt9

these tweets are hype.

This. Also what else was he supposed to say? This is a huge non-statement. I don't see why there's such a huge discussion surrounding this.

If they want to have a chance at beating Sony's numbers, they need:

Price cut (below $399)
Huge new exclusives, not just some Platinum games stuff (platinum are awesome but their games sell very few copies)
New entries in stuff like Halo coming this fall
A ton of games
Better indie support
More value proposition for gold

Without at least 4 of the above 6, they won't really stand a chance. Now that Sony also have paid online, customers are probably less likely to leave that ecosystem ad switch sides. And the hardware power differential isn't a huge deal but it's one of many small strikes against the system. If all they announce is a bunch of TV stuff, some random exclusives that don't look too hot and no significant price cut, they won't be able pull ahead. As for new exclusives, they would need to moneyhat some serious stuff that would cause a lot of GAF anger, and I don't know how much longer can they keep pumping money into getting more and more exclusives.

Last year was truly strong E3 to be honest. If they can do that again, it'll be all good - but it was equally a situation of "we know we need to bring the games" last year, so I dunno if they'll be able to better that showing.

Gestault

Most the games shown at those 2 events are still to come out.

I expect a repeat of last year, 2-3 games that will be out soonish followed by a bunch of trailer of games we wont see for 18 months or more. They showed of trailers for Halo , SO t. teh Black Tusk IP and QB and then it's been radio silence for nearly a year whilst the BT games been canned.

Remember, this was the E3 prior to the console launches. That means they showed off Killer Instinct, Forza, Titanfall, Ground Zeroes, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, Ryse, Project Spark (admittedly in open-beta), Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3 and BF4 along with the still unreleased stuff.

Majanew

Banned

Saying things more than once so Kinect can register it isn't as good as just one button press. And Kinect only turns my TV speakers up and down; it won't control the volume of my receiver. Hell, my Xbox turns on just as fast from Standby with turning the controller on vs saying Xbox On, and signing in to my profile takes no longer than Kinect trying to register my face to log me in.

Fraxin

Should be a top priority for Spencer right now, IMO.

RARE is a brand that still carries with it a certain pedigree.
I don't know how many long-time designers are still even with RARE, but MS is sitting on a few quality IPs that could benefit from some resurrections.
They could pull some legitimate excitement by digging up some old gems. Just look at Killer Instinct.

Saddling RARE with Kinect-specific development has always been a head-scratcher to me.

Rare is no different, even worse to me than Square's situation.

AmyS

You really wanna bring Xbox One back, make fans happy and give those sitting on the fence a great reason to buy your console, drop the system to $399 (with Kinect and Titanfall) and show Halo 2 Remastered with THIS content brought upto par to current visual standards.

hawk2025

Bullshit.

I challenge your household to use netflix without using a controller.

This is, regardless, completely besides the point: your flowery exaggeration is still possible with a simple microphone.

blakep267

You really wanna bring Xbox One back, make fans happy and give those sitting on the fence a great reason to buy your console, drop the system to $399 (with Kinect and Titanfall) and show Halo 2 Remastered with THIS content brought upto par to current visual standards.
They're not going to go that low and include a game. What you may see is 450 bundled with tf and Forza since at this point Forza is not worth 60 dollars. If they were to go 399 of expect them to include a month of live but that's about it

Proponent

Banned
Remember, this was the E3 prior to the console launches. That means they showed off Killer Instinct, Forza, Titanfall, Ground Zeroes, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, Ryse, Project Spark (admittedly in open-beta), Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3 and BF4 along with the still unreleased stuff.

Ya I figured that out when you basically posted you don't like any of the Xbox One games, but really like Killzone.

That's right. And I was a huge 360 fan and supporter, as well as OG Xbox.

Xbox started dieing after Peter Moore left. Everyone that made the brand special is long gone, and what we are seeing is the culmination of Execs and suits who haven't got a CLUE.

I'm sorry but I think Phil is too little too late. The damage is done.

Dali

So we should expect to see:

Forza Horizon 2
Halo 2 Anniversary
Quantum Break
Sunset Overdrive
Fable Legends
3rd Party stuff

Needs more mystery.

Maybe the Japanese game that's supposedly from platinum or some other awesome developer. That'd be a nice reveal. Also don't forget about kinect/non game bs. They'll probably announce some new partnerships or functionality on that front.

Kieli

Dark Souls III, Demon's Souls II, The Last Guardian, Kingdom Hearts III, and FF XV exclusive to the Xbone One. That would be a megaton.

Fake edit: The Last of Us II, and Uncharted IV.

Salex_

KINECT IS RUBBISH!!

I'd love to tell MS where they can stick thier Kinect.

They certainly will NOT get my dollars

I can feel the rage over my monitor!

--
Side note: After all those statements across the forum saying Kinect NEEDED to be bundled so it can be supported. Where are the games?

To which every other publisher responded: yep, we agree.

It is ironic the company talking about not relying on hype just spent millions of dollars hyping the hell out Titanfall for nearly a year. A game they don't even own.

Top Bottom