• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A God of War 3/Ascension PS4 remaster could be marvelous!

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Personally what we need are new AAA games and for studios to focus on next gen. Release those re-masters after a plethora of next gen titles.

We haven't seen what The Last of Us looks like running on the PS4 and before its even released people are demanding more remastered versions.. if you want to play it because you haven't done so on the PS3 than Playstation Now would solve your problem a lot sooner than waiting for a remastered version. From a financial standpoint i think they'll offer remastered versions of its first party PS3 software that was close to the launch of the PS4 because they'll have more people to sell to and that they can charge a higher price.

Freeman

Banned
They should space them out, like they did last gen with HD releases of PS2 games.

If Sony plans to keep making consoles that use PC parts they are wise to make an effort and port most of their important titles.

I personally would like for them to make remakes(or remasters) of PS1 era games, they don't need to be AAA games by our current standards, just good looking versions of the same games(improved resolution, textures, models, etc).

Due to the good IQ on PS3, I don't think a normal remaster would look that much better TBH. They are not gonna upgrade every texture, model and effect as they might as well can make an entire new game ;)

rouken

sony deserves our money so much that they can sell us ps3 remasters for the next few years and still be winning this gen

Mman235

The game (don't know about Ascension though) already looks great and runs great so I don't see much point. It's not like The Last of Us or something that has an amazing base but image quality all over the place and frequently shitty framerates.

bebop242

I am not against remasters of ps3 games but I think doing GOW would be a waste of time. There needs to be a certain level of hype and momentum behind a title for a remaster to be worthwhile. Last of Us and infamous makes sense to me, but its to the point that even GOW fans are losing interest in GOW.

No. Stop. Enough with remasters, we need new games now. This is becoming silly, Sony has his Playstation Now service for those who missed the PS3 games. God of War 3 doesn't need a bump in resolution to be appreciated and Ascension is forgettable at best.

DrZeus

Idk if we need those remasters. Unless they are prepping to reintroduce the franchise to the new PS4 players before dropping the new installment. I just hope when/if Kratos
or Nariko ;)
returns I hope it plays more like Darksiders than a neutered DmC. I want a more adventure based game. More puzzles with more to explore.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I still don't really understand why we talk about it like it's one or the other. I would bet even in ND's case where they are working on TLOU, the senior leads are probably in preproduction on the next game while the technical team ports it and gets their tools and engine up and running on the next console.

Do you really think Sony is thinking, "Hmm...do we do GoW4 or should we just remaster these old games? We can only do one and since the world will end in 2015..."

GoW III and Ascension for $120?

I love this x doesn't need 1080p stuff too. Every game looks blurry upscaled to 1080p from 720p.
Come on... Nobody ever complained GOW3 or Ascension looked blurry on a 1080p TV set. Why would that be a problem now?

Corpsepyre

Banned
I still don't really understand why we talk about it like it's one or the other. I would bet even in ND's case where they are working on TLOU, the senior leads are probably in preproduction on the next game while the technical team ports it and gets their tools and engine up and running on the next console.

Do you really think Sony is thinking, "Hmm...do we do GoW4 or should we just remaster these old games? We can only do one and since the world will end in 2015..."

You pretty much nailed it. Was about to post the same thing. People saying they would rather prefer a 4th entry as opposed to a remaster is ludicrous. Sure, you might want a new game in the series, as we all might do, but saying that one thing shouldn't be worked on because a new game in the series won't be coming out because of the fact is dumb.

qazqaNii

Ef those re-masters i haven't bought any till this day and I probably won't unless we get smb3 remaster or smw(super mario world) remaster.

The game just came out last year atleast wait 2 gens.

Shin-Ra

Come on... Nobody ever complained GOW3 or Ascension looked blurry on a 1080p TV set. Why would that be a problem now?
Because no one reasonably expected PS3 to render 3 in 1080p. Expectations rise.

Remasters are justified if people want to play superior console versions of past games and they're overall profitable for the publisher ($/goodwill/setting up sequel)

LAA

Just because the "remaster thing is in", doesnt mean its justified. Guess its a little debateable and down to opinions really... Some games make me happy to see a remaster (TLOU for example), but Tomb Raider, didn't really get the point of a remaster. Its really up to the devs, theoi money of course and if they think people will buy it, go or it.ir
My opinion for God of War Ascension remastered in particular though... GoW: A didnt really live up to expectations, even me who loves GoW, sold GoW:A after platinuming it, just couldnt see me ever going back to it, even just for fun.
Don't get me wrong, it would blow minds graphically, if remastered right, but I'd rather GoW3 if anything, or better yet, GoW4 or maybe just another new IP from them (Which may not happen now :( ).

thelastword

Banned
I'm the biggest GOW fan, have platinumned every single one and don't think it's necessary. GOW3 and Ascension looks better than many next gen games even today and they played great also. I'd rather that they focus on the new GOW and blow us away frankly.

I'm all for remakes as well, but with the current cutbacks at Santa Monica, I don't think it would be feasible or believe that the demand is there for it like TLOU or Uncharted.

You know what should be remade, Valkyria Chronicles and the Resistance Trilogy, they could both use the better resolutions, textures and trophies.

Xav

HD remasters should be limited to old games that could use a facelift to more modern standards.

wwhdcomp2bwxsmzdsnm.gif

I can understand taking a game crippled by the hardware like Skyrim and doing a PS4 version but God of War III/Ascension are perfectly fine on PS3. Maybe do a 4K remaster on PS5 once enough time has passed.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
1) If you don't like remasters don't buy them.

2) The idea that you get either remasters or new IPs is a false dichotomy, so stop saying "I'd rather have new games" like an idiot. Remasters tend to be highly profitable, and those profits can be used for all kinds of things, including funding new IP. It's also the rare exception rather than the rule that the original team works on the remaster instead of something new. Remasters are done by port houses who gain valuable experience which they can use to one day create their own new IP, if that's something they're interested in.

HD remasters should be limited to old games that could use a facelift to more modern standards.

I can understand taking a game crippled by the hardware like Skyrim and doing a PS4 version but God of War III/Ascension are perfectly fine on PS3. Maybe do a 4K remaster on PS5 once enough time has passed.

Although I think people should make any remaster they want and let the market decide what's worthwhile, I kind of agree with you that the PS3 GOW games would not benefit from the treatment nearly as much as something like The Last of Us, which had some framerate and aliasing issues despite being a thoroughly gorgeous game in every other way. It was tangibly held back by the hardware in a way that is less apparent in the GOW games.

Charcoal

I'm super excited for The Last Of Us remastered, but I don't want every exclusive from last-gen redone for PS4. They had their time, but now it's time to move on to better things.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Ef those re-masters i haven't bought any till this day and I probably won't unless we get smb3 remaster or smw(super mario world) remaster.

The game just came out last year atleast wait 2 gens.

So, fuck remasters unless it's a game you want. Kind of a pointlessly selfish stance, isn't it?

Mistah

But GOW 3 looks already that good. One of the best looking games last gen. They should remaster MGS4 for the ps4.

I bet we'll see an uncharted remaster trilogy next spring/summer assuming 4 comes out next fall.

They can do it to fill space if they don't have any other games as well as sell it to people who went from 360 only to ps4.

reKon

Banned
They should space them out, like they did last gen with HD releases of PS2 games.

If Sony plans to keep making consoles that use PC parts they are wise to make an effort and port most of their important titles.

I personally would like for them to make remakes(or remasters) of PS1 era games, they don't need to be AAA games by our current standards, just good looking versions of the same games(improved resolution, textures, models, etc).

God of War 3 probably doesn't need to be remastered as much as TLOU though

Taker34

Banned
Sure I'd take it. Remasters are often developed by other studios, so we'd still get new games. Besides, I don't think it's bad to have more remastered games. More options for me... and if you don't like it, don't buy it.

No. The game wouldn't benefit from it at all. Seriously, these games are so well crafted, we can easily play them again in 20 years and they'll have aged well. Now stop making these damn threads and giving them ideas about making the next two years so damn slow for new games.

Fbh

No thx.

Yes they would look great, but a GOW (or Santa Monica game in general) build from scratch for Ps4 would just look better.

At this point I got a Ps4 to play new games. Not echanced versions of games I already own/played. Sell me those later into the consoles life cycle, one you have already established a solid list of First and third party games

It baffles me why people hate the idea of remasters, especially if they are collections. Do you honestly expect new IPs every month?

There should be a bunch of remasters just like their should be a bunch of sequels/reboots/. If they aren't for you, cool, doesn't change the fact that both systems have a healthy library that was gimped by last gen hardware.

I honestly don't know if I'd lump GOW in that category, but I don't see the harm in it existing.

No publisher with even a lick of sense is going to cancel any new IPs to sell a bunch of ports/remasters instead. They are still coming. So why not pad out the consoles library with games not everyone played first time round?

No one bats an eyelid over blu-ray versions of popular old movies, even ones originally sold on VHS. I don't understand why videogames must be so different.

scitek

Hell ya! Who needs new games when they can just keep selling us old ones! Remaster everything.

Don't like 'em? Don't buy them. And I don't see how they get in the way of the production of new games. If anything, they help companies making new games get used to the new architecture easier, in addition to just flat-out providing work.

thelastword

Banned
To me the games that need remasters are those that could use to extra horsepower to sort out framerate, aliasing and resolution issues. You can bring on all the remasters, but at the end of the day you want those remasters to make you money. I believe Bayonetta PS3, GTAIV PS3, Red Dead PS3 should be good candidates since they were'nt the best they could be.

RK128

That would be great! Both games look amazing today (amazing how great GOW III still looks!) and would be great fits on the PS4.

While Ascension should have been a PS4 launch tittle in my book (it looks amazing and even runs at a near-60FPS type frame rate), it would be nice to see that and GOW III land on PS4. With Ascension though...they would need to fix things first (the controls, the way zoomed out camera).

jett

D-Member
I'd feel totally indifferent to this. Gameplay-wise these games are tired and they still look mighty good as they are.

Honestly, I look at my PS3 collection and there isn't anything I'd be willing to buy again. Maybe an imaginary PC port of Bayonetta 1.

Even if you updated the graphics, the gameplay would still need to be redesigned.

The combat has been getting rather stale. IT needs an update desperately and you can't do that in a remaster.

Top Bottom