• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby music appreciation thread

Dina

Why would you do that? said:
iO5zO7AtezP7.gif

...That's what Kirby's Adventure's Nightmare looks like?

Childhood ruined. :(

Oh right, music... Yes, the new Kirby game has a lot of awesome music. Don't want to post links, as I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but yes.

Yeah, I thought he was an evil ghost, not this freak.

That said, I like Kirby's Adventure best, but that's mostly nostalgia.

Teknoman

After having just beat Return to Dreamland via an amazing co-op end showdown (really liked the last segment
flying through the wormhole back to Popstar and the showdown with Magolor possessed by the crown...and maybe even Dark Matter?)
, going to have to update the OP with alot of new instant favorites.

EDIT: Also got Mass Attack for Christmas, so thats a whole other section :D

NEO0MJ

After having just beat Return to Dreamland via an amazing co-op end showdown
(really liked the last segment flying through the wormhole back to Popstar and the showdown with Magolor possessed by the crown...and maybe even Dark Matter?)
, going to have to update the OP with alot of new instant favorites.

Shouldn't you spoiler that in your post?

IronLich

Apologies if this was posted previously, but while it's certainly not anywhere near my favorites in the Kirby library, it's good to know even themes from cancelled projects managed to live on in Return to Dreamland. While I didn't get a chance to play the game so far due to the holiday clusterfuck, I am appreciative of the music department for hanging on to such themes as THIS.

And I'm still in love with the credits theme of Super Star. Such a fulfilling composition.
http://youtu.be/XF_0aSnvshI

Speaking of Super Star, since OP posted Aqualiss, he is good people. For thread and taste alike.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This thread is from 2011, but who cares. New Kirby game, new soundtrack. Surprised it didn't get bumped when Dream Collection came out, but that OT was quite small anyway.

I think the Kirby Triple Deluxe soundtrack is fairly good, and I think it's a little more cohesive than Return to Dream Land's is. While there are a few tracks that don't shine as much as some of the other tracks, there are a lot of great tracks that end up putting it up there in my range of Kirby soundtracks. What I also liked is that the entire game used a lot of themes from the past familiar... and seemingly forgotten/obscure. I do think that it is more beneficial to have some good cans even when playing handhelds in general, and Triple Deluxe got good use out of mine.

The game uses some music verbatim, but that's particularly because those arrangements were fairly good already. Royal Road's extra stage, for example, uses this version of Fountain of Dreams. (edit: This originally read "I'm pretty happy they put one of the tracks on the Kirby Dream Collection soundtrack in the game, since I thought those pieces were well-arranged." This was actually in Kirby's Air Ride verbatim, but thanks to Emi for pointing that out to me.)

I'm very fond of the boss themes in this game as well. They range from incredibly catchy to having iffy samples that somehow work to great all-around. The Boss Theme has excellent backing (the bass especially, but most would give more nods to the piano that brings back some of that Kirby's Epic Yarn flair in a more exciting manner) and that propels its strength just as much as the lead synths playing the melody.

We have wubs in Kirby in the form of Endless Explosions, and it's used right. Wubs aren't inherently bad. The key here, I feel, is that it isn't overbearing and serves as backing, while the mixing rightly places much of the melody played by other instruments in the foreground. So often that whenever dubstep or dance beats are used in VGM or even any other genre, the dubstep tends to be incredibly overwhelming. Instead, the main melody takes precedence, and the wubs support the main instrumentation quite a bit. This ended up being one of my favourite tracks on the soundtrack by far simply because of its arrangement and mixing.

Both Snow themes Old Odyssey 1 and Old Odyssey 2) can be fairly reminiscent of the Kirby's Epic Yarn soundtrack in some spots (well, mostly 1). It isn't so much the melodies I'm fond of, but particularly the atmosphere and mood evoked by the melodies and their backing.

Ripple Star gets an arrangement and it gets a pretty cool drum breakdown. It's one of my faves and it gets a Hi-Fi arrangement that uses great samples, and enhances that percussion and breakdown.

Tough Enemy is a really cool theme that makes use of a lot of the samples heard throughout the soundtrack including that riff sample, but what really sells it is the piano providing backing and the melody, not necessarily the lead synth doling out the theme's melody. I heartily welcome more raw and ensemble piano pieces in Kirby. I honestly think it fits. Maybe it's because I'm terribly fond of Kirby's Epic Yarn's soundtracks, but overall, I think the piano stuff is great in the Triple Deluxe soundtrack.

I do think the game's title theme doesn't strike that much of a chord unless it is in an arrangement, and luckily it gets arranged several times throughout the soundtrack.

The final boss themes are really good. Despite the fact that the first final boss theme sounds fairly traditional in current final boss patterns at the beginning with organs and backing percussion, it strengthens into a riff-laden bonanza with more emphasis on percussion.

I do think the other final boss theme, whose name I will leave blank (especially for those who don't want spoilers at all), is really good. I ended up liking it more than C-R-O-W-N-E-D, and that theme was incredibly stellar. Both themes are significantly different in terms of tone and instrumentation, though. The RtDL theme simply sounds more triumphant, especially with its clearer brass- and string-laden instrumentation. By contrast, the Triple Deluxe final boss theme ends up making grand use of synth everywhere, including a sample that I think some might feel is questionable since it doesn't seem to jive well with the rest of it. However, with that said, I do think it works better contextually providing proper mood to go along with the colours and lighting used in that part of the game. The bass truly sells the opening, and the backing during the main melody starting out sounds great. The percussion interlude leading into the stronger portion of the theme blends a lot of stuff used in Kirby games and it sounds fairly cohesive. Emphasizing piano on its last legs into the loop is one of my favourite parts of it too.

I'd say that soundtrack makes excellent use of percussion all the way through. And that's what I'm ultimately fond of. Many of the samples sound really good this time around as well.

Teknoman

I seriously need to get Triple Deluxe soon...

Never thought i'd hear dubstep in Kirby though lol, i'd have thought Metroid would have been first.

Sciz

I'm not super fond of the direction Ando and Ishikawa have taken with the last couple games, but they've certainly still got it. Gonna have to actually get a 3DS.

The game uses some music verbatim, but that's particularly because those arrangements were fairly good already. Royal Road's extra stage, for example, uses this version of Fountain of Dreams. (edit: This originally read "I'm pretty happy they put one of the tracks on the Kirby Dream Collection soundtrack in the game, since I thought those pieces were well-arranged." This was actually in Kirby's Air Ride verbatim, but thanks to Emi for pointing that out to me.)

Eeeeeeh. KAR's version isn't bad as a slightly punchier version of the Melee original, but it's definitely a MIDI in some unflattering ways.

(The Melee version itself takes some cues from the Game Music Concert 5 arrangement, which actually predates the release of KSS!)

Oh wow, I haven't played Kirby 64 in a long while, but thanks for reminding me that it really does have some amazing music, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh-yLIXnc14

Thank you self from three years ago for re-introducing this track to me! That music is so amazing.

Also, yes, I am trying to hold off listening to Kirby 3DS's music before playing it, but from what I've heard, it's really good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Never thought i'd hear dubstep in Kirby though lol, i'd have thought Metroid would have been first.
lol, maybe if Metroid went the way of wubwub like most of the shooter trailers at E3. Metroid veers more towards the atmospheric side, though. Again, wubwub isn't a bad thing, but sometimes people can misuse it to make it sound completely overbearing. In the hands of an arranger and decent mixer, it can sound really good, just like it does here.

I'm not super fond of the direction Ando and Ishikawa have taken with the last couple games, but they've certainly still got it. Gonna have to actually get a 3DS.
Yeah, I do agree, even if I like Kirby Epic Yarn's stuff. I think this soundtrack, because it's a more cohesive whole, is a slight return to form.

Eeeeeeh. KAR's version isn't bad as a slightly punchier version of the Melee original, but it's definitely a MIDI in some unflattering ways.

(The Melee version itself takes some cues from the Game Music Concert 5 arrangement, which actually predates the release of KSS!)
I really do have to make it a point to listen to Melee and Brawl stuff one day, even if I haven't played the games at all.

And surprisingly (very surprisingly!) I haven't heard that arrangement before. Sounds really cool.

Sciz

Yeah, I do agree, even if I like Kirby Epic Yarn's stuff. I think this soundtrack, because it's a more cohesive whole, is a slight return to form.

I'm fine with KEY's music, because the game itself is such a departure that I don't expect the Kirby sound from it to begin with.

Also because Tomita's a living legend.

It's RtDL and now this that don't always come off as Kirby to me. They're focusing more on texture and losing some of that immediacy that made the older music such relentlessly upbeat earworms. It's the same issue I've got with the more recent Pokemon generations where the music's still objectively good, but it's slowly drifting away from the qualities that set it apart in the first place.

I really do have to make it a point to listen to Melee and Brawl stuff one day, even if I haven't played the games at all.

You... wow. Yeah, get on that. Melee's music was headed up by Ando and it's all fantastic. Brawl's more of a mixed bag, but there's so much quantity that there's plenty of quality to be found too.

The Melee mix of Gourmet Race also slipped into Nightmare in Dream Land as the Dedede boss theme, if you want to hear a cut down GBA rendition.

Kangi

It's RtDL and now this that don't always come off as Kirby to me. They're focusing more on texture and losing some of that immediacy that made the older music such relentlessly upbeat earworms. It's the same issue I've got with the more recent Pokemon generations where the music's still objectively good, but it's slowly drifting away from the qualities that set it apart in the first place.

I'll agree that Kirby3D's music isn't as catchy as previous entries' (though I find that the quality offsets that enough in this case, whereas RtDL's didn't quite do so). That said, Fine Fields is NEVER going to get out of my head.

This game has always had such unexpectedly phenomenal music. King Dedede's theme gets me every single time, and it's hard to find a bad track in them.

Zalman

I beat Triple Deluxe yesterday and I absolutely loved the soundtrack. It might be my favorite Kirby soundtrack yet. I especially liked the final boss theme.

Top Bottom