• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Full Moon Show 26 - Mega Resistance 2 update

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The lack of faith in Insomniac shown by some in this thread is utterly unrespectful. They can show me a WIP game that runs at 20fps with shitty everything and I'd still blow their dicks if given the opportunity. And this is comes from an unimpressed-by-Res2-MP guy back in London.

I think new pics are amazing btw. Floating chimera aside.

tha_con

Banned
TTP said:
The lack of faith in Insomniac shown by some in this thread is utterly unrespectful. They can show me a WIP game that runs at 20fps with shitty everything and I'd still blow their dicks if given the opportunity. And this is comes from an unimpressed-by-Res2-MP guy back in London.

I think new pics are amazing btw. Floating chimera aside.

But he's so magical!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
James, I know it's difficult to come in here and take the good with the bad, you handle it like a pro.

I must say, based on just these new screens, the game looks really fun to play. I also just watched your interview and couldn't stop watching the MP footage in the background, FUN! It has that COD4 first appeal that made it such a great game to play. Even if this is an incomplete game I can see that you will trump your efforts from R1.

Any people who can come in here and genuinely try and spin a web of negativity need to take the time to see how many devs are doing that Insomniac are with R2. Larger scale, bigger and more diverse MP, polished and not "second thought" SP, etc.

As the months go by we will all continue to see this game taking shape but from these early showings, you can just feel that Insomniac is onto something.

Above all else I just wanna be controlling the character in those screens because it screams more fun than a lot of the current crop of FPS games in development.

TTP said:
I'd still blow their dicks if given the opportunity.

rjld2d.jpg

jax (old)

Banned
loved resistance but these new "screens" don't look at all good to me. Waiting for ingame footage. I'll still get this day one because R1 was the only FPS (+bioshock) that I enjoyed this gen. grabbing podcast now.

* I think the guy in helmet - either strikes me as bad art (just don't like how it looks) or just that shiny highlight on his head annoys me

Proelite

Wow, the game looks good in the video interview. Are there more footages like the one in the interview? Nice wallpapers, Tha_con, btw.

Kittonwy

Banned
I need more footage/screenshots demonstrating this new lighting system they have cuz from the MP footage in the interview it's hard to discern anything.
Indifferent2.gif

tha_con

Banned
Proelite said:
Wow, the game looks good in the video interview. Are there more footages like the one in the interview? Nice wallpapers, Tha_con, btw.

there's a video interview?! WHERE!?

And thanks :) The Nathan Hale wallpaper will be much better. These are all part of a collection I'm using in the new R2 theme I'm making.

Kittonwy

Banned
tha_con said:
there's a video interview?! WHERE!?

And thanks :) The Nathan Hale wallpaper will be much better. These are all part of a collection I'm using in the new R2 theme I'm making.

It's on game videos.
Indifferent2.gif

Pistolero

The old shot is better though. It might have lower res textures, but it has much better environment geometry, better enemy models, more interesting art direction. If you gave both those shots to a random gamer I'm sure most would rather play the first shot.

Scratches head...

Yeah ! No ! Some of you guys need to get your eyes checked because the new shots indicate better textures and lighting. It looks amazing, definitely amazing. And given Insomniac's record of diplaying impressive scales and stuffed to death area, i'LL BET MY TESTICLES THAT THIS WILL BE A CONTENDER FOR THE MOST TECHNICALLY ADVANCED GAME OF THE YEAR ! i SAID IT ! :D

nib95

Banned
Meh my Black Ops was a waste of time. I didn't want to piss on the original concept and be too different, but now mine ended up looking too similar. I just wanted it to look more menacing and armoured, and less leather and belt gimped. More military tech.

blackops.jpg

nib95 said:
But my point is, if you're going to release PUBLIC screens, which have the sole purpose of selling, advertising or boasting the game, then use better screens, that show more of what people expect of the game on a technical level.

If you don't have screens that people will ogle or drool at, show off the game on a technical level and serve the purpose of e-penis fodder, don't bother releasing them.

Fortunately you don't represent the entire public view of this game. These screens excited me just as much as the first batch. I want to see the intimate areas as well as the large scale areas. Insomniac is a multi-million dollar company and got there thankfully with-out your expertise on these matters. This game is 6 months away, breathe easy..

Proelite

nib95 said:
Meh my Black Ops was a waste of time. I didn't want to piss on the original concept and be too different, but now mine ended up looking too similar. I just wanted it to look more menacing and armoured, and less leather and belt gimped. More military tech.

blackops.jpg

Wow it looks great, it's good to know someone else who does concept art on Gaf besides me. We should form a team or something. Any portfolios you can link to?

However, somethings I took issues with your depiction.

1. The helmet looks menacing, but it looks alien at the same time. It's risky as it might cause detachment, but also makes the Black ops more mysterious and badass.

2. The body armor seems very futuristic. Resistance tech is anachronistic because it's 40% modern and 60% old school. Yours is like 70% futuritic and 30% modern.

Otherwise, great work. :)

Wollan

While the shotgun animation is still the old same (seemingly), slightly weightless reload, I noticed the new dust kick up the pellets cause. Very nice.

Tideas said:
and this is why we can't get nice stuff

Meh, let the haters hate; the disparities seen in these screens that people are somehow spinning as a negative just show that Resistance 2 will be another exciting and varied experience. It's far too early to judge the entire game based on a few early screenshots. As tha_con pointed out the designs do evolve; it's not just the technical stuff that progresses.

dralla

omfg in that video the frame rate dropped!?! wtf james it l00ks like shit. i hate u.

no really, are you guys going to change the sprint animation? Brian said on the podcast most of the animations are still from R1, I was never a fan of the sprint animation and it looks the same.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I'm surprised no one has blamed the REAL culprit for these lackluster pics. It's obvious the fragile eagle is still trying to figure out how to take screen shots.

Just kidding Bryan. The screens look great.
:D

Proelite

dralla said:
omfg in that video the frame rate dropped!?! wtf james it l00ks like shit. i hate u.

no really, are you guys going to change the sprint animation? Brian said on the podcast most of the animations are still from R1, I was never a fan of the sprint animation and it looks the same.
picardflipoj5.jpg

lybertyboy said:
I'm surprised no one has blamed the REAL culprit for these lackluster pics. It's obvious the fragile eagle is still trying to figure out how to take screen shots.

Just kidding Bryan. The screens look great.
:D

:lol :lol :lol Poor Bryan.

PS. thanks for posting the third MGO video. Much appreciated.

nib95

Banned
Proelite said:
Wow it looks great, it's good to know someone else who does concept art on Gaf besides me. We should form a team or something. Any portfolios you can link to?

However, somethings I took issues with your depiction.

1. The helmet looks menacing, but it looks alien at the same time. It's risky as it might cause detachment, but also makes the Black ops more mysterious and badass.

2. The body armor seems very futuristic. Resistance tech is anachronistic because it's 40% modern and 60% old school. Yours is like 70% futuritic and 30% modern.

Otherwise, great work. :)

I have some work on my old site.

www.ncdesignuk.com

But yea, I realise it's a little too futuristic in places, but I was thinking, because Black Ops are so covert and undercover in regards to existence and tech, they could have incorporated some Chimera in to their own armour.

Bebpo

Banned
Esperado said:
I'm not supposed to say this, but those shots are both from the same damn game.

Yes.

The whole point of people not impressed by the new shots is not "OMG DOWNGRADE!!". Of course the game hasn't been downgraded from a few months ago, this is Insomniac we are talking about.

The point of bitching about the new set of shots is that they just took a really dull set of screenshots out of this gorgeous game to release to the public. They should've picked nicer looking parts of the game to show off :p

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Pai Pai Master said:
:lol :lol :lol Poor Bryan.

PS. thanks for posting the third MGO video. Much appreciated.

No problem. I'll put up the last one first chance I get.

Bebpo said:
They should've picked nicer looking parts of the game to show off :p

I really don't understand this argument. They could close their eyes and pick a completely random part of the single-player campaign and people could say the same thing. How do you know it's dull, have you played the Chicago segment of the game?

It's all opinion; I personally find these screens more exciting than a few of the old ones. As James just said, wait for Gamepro if you want to see the bigger stuff; they won't show everything the game has to offer at once.

The Jer

jstevenson said:
Wow... you see why devs don't want to show stuff early? Yikes.
My thoughts exactly. seriously, guys...

anyhoo, glad to see some black ops. I'm looking forward to hearing their story in R2.

I'd also like to see some cloven and I'd like to get more on them as well.
However, seeing as cloven are Russian and they seem to have migrated(?) to the UK after getting annihilated by the chimera, I'm not sure how they'd end up in the US. I hope they make it into the game in some form or another, I want to know more.

Proelite

nib95 said:
I have some work on my old site.

www.ncdesignuk.com

But yea, I realise it's a little too futuristic in places, but I was thinking, because Black Ops are so covert and undercover in regards to existence and tech, they could have incorporated some Chimera in to their own armour.

Amazing website. I clearly see that you're more rooted in the Eastern vein of composition.

Wollan

I totally didn't read the Op. It just came to conclusion, less than 40minutes? Didn't get my money's worth. j/k

Proelite

Wollan said:
I totally didn't read the Op. It just came to conclusion, less than 40minutes? Didn't get my money's worth. j/k

Wollan what do you think of design of the Black Ops soldier.

Wollan

You guys are excellent sketchers and certainly beyond me but I prefer the original helmet design. I like how the original one goes outwards (or straight down if you will) instead of cramming itself around the headcurve.

Proelite

Wollan said:
You guys are excellent sketchers and certainly beyond me but I prefer the original helmet design. I like how the original one goes outwards (or straight down if you will) instead of cramming itself around the headcurve.

I did that for my helmet originally, and it ended up looking exactly like a German WWII infantry helmet. O_O

I suppose it wouldn't matter since the Germans were our allies, the Nazis weren't in power, and the Holocaust didn't happen.

tha_con

Banned
I suppose my main beef with the concepts you two have done is just that they don't seem to fit in the Resistance universe. They look amazing, you guy's are really talented (maybe we'll all have to pull together and do some work) I just don't think they fit into the Resistance era. Certainly amazing work though!

Proelite

tha_con said:
I suppose my main beef with the concepts you two have done is just that they don't seem to fit in the Resistance universe. They look amazing, you guy's are really talented (maybe we'll all have to pull together and do some work) I just don't think they fit into the Resistance era. Certainly amazing work though!

That's a beef that I have with mine. It looks like a modern day paratrooper with a gas mask. I suppose adding pipes and oxygen tanks makes it more anachronistic, but I can't justify putting such accessories on my design since they serve no purpose. =\

tha_con

Banned
Proelite said:
That's a beef that I have with mine. It looks like a modern day paratrooper with a gas mask. I suppose adding pipes and oxygen tanks makes it more anachronistic, but I can't justify putting such accessories on my design since they serve no purpose. =\

haha, yea man, I completely understand. You guy's did some awesome work though, I'd love to see them scanned / colored.

Anyone else see the awesome effects from the shotgun when he's shooting the floor and what not? Also, the texture work looked pretty darn good in the interview. James has been holding out...sad.

What I like about the original design is that he's not so decked out with high-tech gear. Check out that old-tech radio. Remove the mask and he'd look like a rather normal soldier; the mask is the only thing that gives them any sort of impression of power or mystery.

I do like both your designs (they're both awesome) but the original lends itself more to the Resistance universe as tha_con says. As we know America never emerged from the depression in Resistance 2; it's unlikely that even their most top-priority and top-secret military force would be decked out in expensive space-age gear. Heck, he's black-ops but he's still using an old-school Carbine with a wooden handle. I think yours follows that a bit better Proelite but I do prefer the simplicity of the original design.

Very cool work either way, I can see where some people might think of BlackOps and want to see something more badass and intimidating than what Insomniac's going for.

dalin80

Banned
Pistolero said:
Scratches head...

Yeah ! No ! Some of you guys need to get your eyes checked because the new shots indicate better textures and lighting. It looks amazing, definitely amazing. And given Insomniac's record of diplaying impressive scales and stuffed to death area, i'LL BET MY TESTICLES THAT THIS WILL BE A CONTENDER FOR THE MOST TECHNICALLY ADVANCED GAME OF THE YEAR ! i SAID IT ! :D

Goddamit for the nth time, most of us aren't complaining about the textures or lighting but how the art seems so bland and washed out. Then comes 'its just one alleyway!' response well that is certainly true but we will still be staring at the same bland 'black' ops guy for a good chunk of the game, more interesting scenery wont makes his model or the gun model and more fun to see.

I loved R1 and I loved the early shots and the teaser trailer they seemed so much fresher and vibrant.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
dalin80 said:
Goddamit for the nth time, most of us aren't complaining about the textures or lighting but how the art seems so bland and washed out. Then comes 'its just one alleyway!' response well that is certainly true but we will still be staring at the same bland 'black' ops guy for a good chunk of the game, more interesting scenery wont makes his model or the gun model and more fun to see.

I loved R1 and I loved the early shots and the teaser trailer they seemed so much fresher and vibrant.

Truth to be told if you only looked at many of the early screenshots of R1 and even from playing the first level or so of R1 you were not prepared for the awesome particles-jolly-spectacle that some of the later levels bring you (incredibly thick snow-fall, realistic smoke, tons of objects on screen, and huge draw distance... wow :D).

I give Insomniac the benefit of doubt :).

I've only listened to this podcast once and that was a month ago. They were talking about some new technology they were working on and mentioned water or something but they never revealed what it was. So has there been any follow up to that?

dalin80

Banned
Monsterland said:
I've only listened to this podcast once and that was a month ago. They were talking about some new technology they were working on and mentioned water or something but they never revealed what it was. So has there been any follow up to that?

The only thing we have seen since that is the (awesome) teaser trailer's water but its a guess how much of a finalised or in game asset that was.

fps fanatic said:
The only thing about the Black-ops soldier.... needs more black ;) June 13th can't get here soon enough, man...
They should move the date up. The problem with June 13 is that PS3 owners will be too busy playing MGS4, which comes out the day before on June 12.

I hope the reload animations are vastly improved for R2. I've been playing R1 a lot lately (great game) and the reload animation for the bullseye is a joke.

dalin80

Banned
If we didn't moan about what we don't like and acted all 'OmG s0 aweesum!!' like the 10 year olds on myres we would only have ourselves to blame if the games was released containing those 'faults*' and we did nothing to air concerns.

I don't think just blindly loving every picture or news item while refusing to voice any criticism helps any dev. As soon as the game is on amazon iam pre-ordering anyway so perhaps iam a bit of a hypocrite.

* In want for a better word.

Top Bottom