• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #143 - "Gluttony"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme - "Gluttony"

Word Limit: 1777

Submission Deadline: Saturday, May 17th at 11:59 AM PST

Voting begins Saturday, May 17th at 12:00 PM Pacific and goes until Monday, May 19th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Start with someone talking

"Let's overindulge and celebrate this sin with a bunch of the number 7 in the word limit."

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

--

Entries (thanks Ashes!)

Nezumi

Yeah, new thread. No idea what to do with this theme yet. But after last time it can only get better :)

Carlisle

Congrats Val!
And Nezumi for the last challenge!

I have not been around for a while :(

Interesting prompt! Now to see if I can bend one of the ideas I had for the last couple challenges around it.

Nezumi

Hm... Just went through my notebook and found an idea that would be perfect for the theme. If only the protagonist wasn't a goat...

Nezumi

Maaan, if I hadn't already reused Deep Thinking Goat not that long ago...

I know :( I guess I could use a sheep instead, but while certainly woolly and cute, I can't help thinking that sheep are somewhat more daft than goats...

Cyan

Banned
For fiction? I'm not advocating it or anything. :p You guys are no fun.

I'm teasing. No one's been banned for the fiction they've posted here, and I doubt anyone ever will be (oh god, no one take this as a challenge please).

Sometimes stories cross the line into making me uncomfortable, though.

Ourobolus

Banned
It's cute how you get excited for those three matches your team will be playing
;)

I have no expectation of victory, I'm aware. Fucking Group G. :'(

But damn will I go nuts if there's an upset!

EDIT: All right, now I'm torn. I kinda want to do that ridiculous story.

Aaron

I came up with an idea for this one through reading a series of articles in the New Yorker. Ironically, it's a story they wouldn't dare print in their publication, which has some rule about all fiction must be bland and dull. Even the cartoons are terrible. It's quite a contrast between their articles.

Cyan

Banned
Wow, I actually wrote mine early. No idea how that happened. I had a vague idea, wanted to get the first few sentences down, and just kept going.

Weird.

Slightly over the word limit, but I've got plenty of time to make a few cuts. :)

Ourobolus

Banned
Free Range - 996 words.

Ummm...yeah.
The views contained within this document are not reflected in the views of the author. Any offense is meant to cause offense, but mostly out of shock value and is not indicative of the views of the author. The characters described in this story and the accompanying actions in no way parallel the character of the author or his actions. The author is not approving of the content of this story is the point here, really. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Please discontinue reading the story if you suffer from heart palpitations, asthma, or are pregnant or could become pregnant. Approximate value of this story is 1/100th of a cent. Bans are unnecessary and counter-productive in this instance.

Couldn't access Dropbox from work, so Drive is all I got.

Mike M

Nick N
I am feeling gluttonous for a higher word count : /

Everyone notice that we're back to a deadline of Saturday at noon for submissions, but Monday at midnight for voting?

Mike M said it already (below), but just a reminder that the deadline is at noon (PST) on Saturday.

Everyone notice that we're back to a deadline of Saturday at noon for submissions, but Monday at midnight for voting?

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to adjust the voting time as well. So, weird times all-around!

Ashes

Banned
I am feeling gluttonous for a higher word count : /

I'm shooting for 1900 words for precisely that reason - in that it is in keeping with the theme.

People are free to vote how they will. But too much over isn't a good thing.

Nezumi

I'm gonna go with my goat story after all. Just didn't have any better idea. Now if I only find the time to write it...

"It isn't like the old days, that's for sure" said Aamon, a Marquis of Hell. He was dressed in human finery and despaired how long it had been since he had assumed his true form.

"I remember" said his companion, "I remember when this was a job you could take pride in." His name was Fahrgal, a lesser demon, but one with standards all the same. "I go home now and the boy asks what I did at work and I see that look in his eyes when I tell him."

"Disappointment."

"Right. Disappointment. This is no job for a demon. I should be damning adulterers, tipping the scales of war, spreading plague."

"And instead, you're sitting wrapped in filthy skin on the 12:42 to Liverpool Street." Aamon replied.

"Surrounded by these blabbering bags of meat all day, every day. It's almost enough to make you switch sides."

"Almost." They both shuddered at the thought of going back...there. "The trouble is" Aamon began "that humans have got too smart. They do half of it by themselves, worshiping money, taking pride in material possessions, fucking their neighbors wives, starting wars, ruining lives and calling it business..."

"Yeah, in a way, they're better at this whole damnation thing than we ever were." Fahrgal said sadly. "What's in the briefcase, anyway?"

"I'll tell you, but you won't like it..." Aamon warned. "It's the formula for an all natural flavouring additive that also happens to be diabolically addictive."

"Great. So we're chemists." Fahrgal replied through gritted teeth.

"Ah" said Aamon, raising a finger, "Diabolical chemists."

"Doesn't seem all that diabolical compared to nerve gas..." Fahrgal muttered. "And the men we're on our way to meet?"

"A bunch of executives from McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut and so forth."

"Gluttony. I should have known. Used to be you'd tempt kings with gluttony. Crush a poor man's spirit for a morsel of bread. Now it's just making sure herds of meat stay fat" spat Fahrgal. "Still, look on the bright side: only half an eternity left until Armageddon."

"Yeah..." Aamon agreed, trying to remember exactly what burning flesh smelt like as the train trundled on and both demons, uncomfortably encased in their bags of vile skin, wondered how long an eternity was, exactly.

Nezumi

The day has been super busy and I just found the time to sit down and start writing. Story isn't going to be super long so hopefully I'll be able to have it up in a couple of hours or so...

Sorry, haven't been home all day, so I can't make a nice list of entries easily (which means Ashes bought some time :p )

Hope everyone has a pleasant Sunday of reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom