• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Marty Chinn said:
You don't need proof. You should call them again as it's probably not too late. They should be able to refund you for the cost of the repair. All I had to do is tell them the month and year it was purchased.

i called again, they are gonna do it for free. had to fudge things a bit. still mad.

So, out of curiosity

I'm buying the game soon and a friend told me about a game breaking bug wherein he got shot as he was receiving an end of mission call, loaded a quicksave and saved, and then the mission call itself never came again, so his save was ruined. Some topics on Gamefaqs are about similar things, like getting bumped by a car and the mission never ending.

Is this a known problem and will there be a patch to fix it?

bigswords

ShockingAlberto said:
So, out of curiosity

I'm buying the game soon and a friend told me about a game breaking bug wherein he got shot as he was receiving an end of mission call, loaded a quicksave and saved, and then the mission call itself never came again, so his save was ruined. Some topics on Gamefaqs are about similar things, like getting bumped by a car and the mission never ending.

Is this a known problem and will there be a patch to fix it?

Wow I completed the game but I never encountered this kind of issue... that's a serious issue though.

I have my exchange, and I have been playing GTAIV for about 3 hours with no problems. The factory exchange looks frigging new and is quiet as a church mouse.

THANKS SONY!!!!!

bigswords

gluv65 said:
I have my exchange, and I have been playing GTAIV for about 3 hours with no problems. The factory exchange looks frigging new and is quiet as a church mouse.

THANKS SONY!!!!!

Thats great news!

n1n9tean

Banned
THANK GOD I didn't go through with the whole submerging my PS3 in water in order to clean it of dust build-up on the internals idea. Thank God.

Oh, and good think I didn't remove my warranty sticker, too. They asked about that.

For those of you who sent your PS3 in, I was wondering if you could clarify where you put the document in the box? On the document it says to tape it to the system. On the instructions that guide you how to pack the system in, it tells you to bag it, put it in, cover it with the foam then put your document in the box. What did you guys do? I just wanna make sure there isn't any screw ups.

DrXym

GTA froze once for me on PS3 while I had a background download going on. Otherwise nothing. Now I don't run downloads while I'm playing it. Maybe the way online works from GTA interferes with this background activity in some way.

Marty Chinn said:
For those of you who sent your PS3 in, I was wondering if you could clarify where you put the document in the box? On the document it says to tape it to the system. On the instructions that guide you how to pack the system in, it tells you to bag it, put it in, cover it with the foam then put your document in the box. What did you guys do? I just wanna make sure there isn't any screw ups.

I put my documents inside the plastic covering with the PS3.

Argyle

For those swapping systems:

Be aware that DRM'ed content will not restore onto a new PS3. (not a big deal, just redownload it, as long as it is still online - should generally be in your download list)

PS1/PS2 memory cards do NOT seem to restore. More annoyingly, there doesn't seem to be a way to back up an entire PS1/PS2 memory card image to USB storage manually, you need to copy each save game individually to a USB device. I haven't tested but I bet copy protected PS2 saves cannot be moved.

Game installations and the like will NOT restore, you will need to reinstall/redownload patches with the game disc.

Copy protected PS3 saves will NOT restore. (Whee, I get to play through Rock Band again!)

Don't bother making new users on your new PS3, just restore the HDD image. It will create placeholder users with your save data as best you can, you can rename them and enter your PSN info again. (For me, it made a bunch of users called "*User X" but it did manage to remember the names of some of the other users.)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a shitload of PS2 saves I need to back up to a USB drive, one by one. :(

Just a warning to those sending in your PS3. When you back up your HDD to an external HDD, and do a restore to your new system, it will not restore your PS1 and PS2 saves even though it will restore when upgrading a HDD on the same system. So be sure to back those up because they will not migrate over to the new system automatically. I found out the hard way in the fact that I just lost a bunch of saves.

B-Ri

Argyle said:
For those swapping systems:

Be aware that DRM'ed content will not restore onto a new PS3. (not a big deal, just redownload it, as long as it is still online - should generally be in your download list)

PS1/PS2 memory cards do NOT seem to restore. More annoyingly, there doesn't seem to be a way to back up an entire PS1/PS2 memory card image to USB storage manually, you need to copy each save game individually to a USB device. I haven't tested but I bet copy protected PS2 saves cannot be moved.

Game installations and the like will NOT restore, you will need to reinstall/redownload patches with the game disc.

Copy protected PS3 saves will NOT restore. (Whee, I get to play through Rock Band again!)

Don't bother making new users on your new PS3, just restore the HDD image. It will create placeholder users with your save data as best you can, you can rename them and enter your PSN info again. (For me, it made a bunch of users called "*User X" but it did manage to remember the names of some of the other users.)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a shitload of PS2 saves I need to back up to a USB drive, one by one. :(

didnt someone on gaf already confirm that backing up the har ddrive andand putting the data on a new one WOULD and DOES copy over the rock band save file?

Argyle

B-Ri said:
didnt someone on gaf already confirm that backing up the har ddrive andand putting the data on a new one WOULD and DOES copy over the rock band save file?

It only works if you are restoring to the SAME PS3.

Since we are getting our systems exchanged, we will be getting different PS3s.

I just confirmed that the Rock Band save does NOT copy over to a DIFFERENT PS3.

BTW, I am about to see if I can use the Sony Memory card adapter to back up the individual memory card images...no, you can not. :(

bigswords

evil solrac v3.0 said:
damn, so how will I know what games are copy protected?

Go to the save folder and press triangle on the save file. Those that have the "copy protection" description in the save file are copied protected...it's really silly though I don't understand why they do this.

Bleda

Hey guys,
A friend of mine is having some issues with his PS3 copy of GTA.
The game ran perfectly fine for 20 hours but it froze at one point while driving. Now it freezes at the very first screen every time he boots it and it takes more than 30 seconds to switch off the PS3. For the record, his PS3 is a PAL 40GB bought 2 months ago.
Has any of you experienced the same problem? Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks

Bleda said:
Hey guys,
A friend of mine is having some issues with his PS3 copy of GTA.
The game ran perfectly fine for 20 hours but it froze at one point while driving. Now it freezes at the very first screen every time he boots it and it takes more than 30 seconds to switch off the PS3. For the record, his PS3 is a PAL 40GB bought 2 months ago.
Has any of you experienced the same problem? Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks

the whole topic is about this friend. same exact thing happened to me.

cilonen

Brainfade - I knew this thread was here but skipped over it and posted the below in the official thread earlier.

I thought I had the dreaded freeze / disc drive death on my PS3, but it turned out a little different...

Just experienced a really unpleasant PS3 glitch that made me think the machine had bought the farm. I don't quite know how it happened, but GTAIV and it's save / data files are the only thing that's been active on the console for about a month.

Anyway - finished the first part of
The Holland Play, waiting for Playboy X to call me to see if I've made a decision
go to safehouse, save, let Nico get up and let the game hand me back control then hold the PS button and shut off the system completely. Went away had some dinner and when I come back, fire the machine up, it sees the GTA disc, begins loading and then sits there with a black screen after the GTA IV logo is shown, with the theme music on continuous loop. after a couple of minutes without the static pics coming up I hard reset the PS3 and tried again - same result. Starting to get a bit worried, another hard reset followed by popping in Burnout Paradise, disc gets detected boots the game and then sits there on the loading screen without the G'n'R 'Paradise City' track loading - just silent. Eep. Hard reset and try a BD movie - disc detected, autoplay kicks in then it sits there at a black screen.

Googled for "PS3 not reading discs" and feared the worst, but then I realise the drive must be reading the discs for them to show up in the XMB and start the autoplay / boot sequence - the machine must have read the BD movie (a new one it had never seen before) because the XMB came up with the thumbnail shot and movie title, it must have read that from the disc.

In the end I had to backup my saves, reformat and restore the PS3 to default then create a new user and tie that to my old profile, put the saves back and it all works peachy again now, which leads me to believe it's something in the PS3 game data install / cache that went awry.

It's a North American launch-ish (2nd wave) 60 Gb, and I'm in the UK, so I was pretty screwed if the drive had died.

bigswords

cilonen said:
In the end I had to backup my saves, reformat and restore the PS3 to default then create a new user and tie that to my old profile, put the saves back and it all works peachy again now, which leads me to believe it's something in the PS3 game data install / cache that went awry.

Hmm well at least it's back up and running, but I still don't understand why would a restore the PS3 would fix it? Wouldn't a simple format would have fixed the issue?

cilonen

bigswords said:
Hmm well at least it's back up and running, but I still don't understand why would a restore the PS3 would fix it? Wouldn't a simple format would have fixed the issue?

Possibly, but seeing as the option to restore was there, I dived straight in for that; it does a format as part of the restore.

I still have my "broken" state as a full system backup (backed up the system, then the saves separately so I could just put the saves only back). I might try restoring from the full backup and see if things are still "broken". Although I'll probably wait 'till I'm done with GTAIV before trying that.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Can anyone appoint me to an official statement about the 60GB launch PS3 problems? A double fuck you to Rockstar because I don't believe they've even mentioned it yet. I'm finally going to return my game today and could use some help in getting my money back.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Well, that's it. My month long journey of Rockstar hell is over as I have returned GTA4. Rockstar, you are still absolute dogshit for this.

ggnoobIGN said:
Well, that's it. My month long journey of Rockstar hell is over as I have returned GTA4. Rockstar, you are still absolute dogshit for this.

The store didn't give you any grief over it? Which store was this? I'm curious how the whole experience went.

Goldrusher

Since Wednesday, I now have a local 40GB system. No more freezing, in fact, a longest non-stop session of almost 6 hours.
And it's A LOT cooler as well. My Japanese 20GB - which SCEE refused to replace - was like a stove, this one barely runs "warm".

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
The store didn't give you any grief over it? Which store was this? I'm curious how the whole experience went.
It was from Best Buy. Was of course told that I could only get the game in return. I explained to them how that would do no good. I then showed him the Sony statement, which he brought to the back for a good ten minutes(No idea what he was doing). Then he came back out and gave me full store credit(Which I of course have no problem taking because I buy everything from there). Overall a fairly painless experience. I asked him if they had any problems like mine, and he said no, just the random freezing stuff.

theBishop

Banned
Damn, Sony is hella fast with the turnaround. I sent it out last Thursday, and my replacement (yes, a 60GB) will arrive this Thursday.

I've been playing MGS1 one on my "borrowed" 40GB, and I'll be able to get started on 2 when my 60 gets here :)

Firewire

Banned
I voted "yes on PS3" but I only had one freeze the first time I popped in GTA4. It froze when you have to go meet Roman at the cab office at the start. Since then I haven't had any problems with freezes or crashes.

My only complaint really is the fact I cannot accept invites from friends, every time I do I get booted out when I hit the lobby. If I join a random game I'm fine for some reason!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ggnoobIGN said:
It sucks that this thread isn't still pinned, you know, considering 0 of these problems have been fixed.

That's not the issue. While sticky is intended in this case to keep an important thread in the spotlight when it would otherwise not have the traffic to maintain any visibility, the thread has now hit the point of minimal levels of activity with the sticky in place. It had its share of time in the spotlight, and needs to be cleared out for future stickies.

theBishop

Banned
ggnoobIGN said:
It sucks that this thread isn't still pinned, you know, considering 0 of these problems have been fixed.

Sony is taking back out-of-warranty hardware free of charge. There is not going to be a software fix for this issue.

You should send out your PS3 now while the turnout is still fast.

-Rogue5-

Does the system replacement work in Canada?

Also, I swapped out a 20gig HDD and put in a 60gig HDD and no longer have the 20gig HDD... Is that gonna cause problems with the exchange or can I send hte system in without the HDD?

This really is a pain in the ass; I have to go out and buy GTAIV in order to determine if it affects my systems to find out if I need to be sending in both of my PS3s for replacement? I swear, if I wasn't having so much trouble with dead 360s this gen (I'm on system 360 #6!) I would totally ream Sony out.

cjdunn

I wonder how many launch system owners there are that didn't buy GTA IV and are totally oblivious to the issue?

Will they run into this issue, whatever-the-hell the exact issue is, in a future title?

GAF, need help.

They want to charge me $149 to fix this. I can get into the game, and then it freezes every few minutes. Only PS3 game I own that's ever frozen. It's a few months out of warranty. I explained my problem, and the guy said that my issue isn't the "general GTA4" issue that I assume would be covered free because I can actually get into the game and it freezes there.

Do I call up and try to get a different person? Do I try to talk to a manager? Do I just say it freezes from the intro cutscene? Possible gamestop will just let me exchange it for the 360 version?(Don't have gold account but at least I'd get to play it at all.)

Anyone?

Opiate

Having had a functional version of GTAIV from day 1, I am now just getting back to this thread. I'm amazed that very little seems to have been done to rectify the issue, and that nothing more will be done.

The problems associated with this error -- Sony taking back out of warranty PS3s; Rockstar having to keep more people spending more hours trying to fix the issue; and of course, the occasional person who chooses not to buy the game after hearing these horror stories -- likely cost Sony, Microsoft and Rockstar millions of dollars. What a debacle.

dorikyasu

I was hoping I wouldn't have to post in this thread, but my 360 version of GTAIV locked up right at
when I was just about to make a clean getaway in "Three Leaf Clover" mission...

It amazes me that its been over a month and still no patch to fix it. I would think its a software issue. If its a hardware issue, I would hope/think that Sony would notify developers what the issue is and what to be aware of or even how to avoid it. There's no such thing on the developer end.

-Rogue5-

Marty Chinn said:
It amazes me that its been over a month and still no patch to fix it. I would think its a software issue. If its a hardware issue, I would hope/think that Sony would notify developers what the issue is and what to be aware of or even how to avoid it. There's no such thing on the developer end.

I think something must be really wrong if Sony are willing to pony up for replacement systems... The whole thing feels gross; they aren't even really admitting to a problem and I have a feeling they're trying to keep things on the low-down since, despite GTAIV's popularity, many people won't experience this problem.

I just bought GTAIV now, so I'll see how she plays. I've got a wicked-bad feeling about this whole thing though... especially for my 20gig launch system.

Also, does this product replacement plan work in Canada?

antiloop

Marty Chinn said:

Why is this the only game affected if it's caused by faulty hardware? Maybe it's the first game to use the last SPU?!

I just got my system back about 15 minutes ago. It looks brand new out of the box. It even had all the peel plastic all over it like it was brand new. I'm sure it's probably refurbished but at least it looks new. So far it's quite which is something else I was worried about. I know its different cuz the PS3 has a different name, different mac address, different serial number on the outside and it has a different hard drive cover. I've so far just set up all my accounts and logged into each of them to make sure that I had all the info right. I also noticed it had firmware 2.35 out of the box unlike others which said they had 1.5. So it was nice not needing to upgrade. I'm now at the moment of truth. I'm installing GTA4 and hoping things go well. It's still installing but I've already got the patch. If this works, I'll swap out my HDD, do a restore and then finally be able to play GTA4. Sony got my system back to me pretty quick, so I'm pretty pleased with the service. They shipped me back a system the same day mine arrived. So it essentially was 3 days for the coffin, 1 day to ship back, and 3 days back to me. Just about a week. I'll still follow this topic even if all this works out, but good luck to everyone else. Install is just about done as I'm posting this....

Oh ya, one more thing.

FUCK YOU ROCKSTAR, FUCK YOU! Over a month without being able to play it at home. What a cluster fuck.

-Rogue5-

What exactly is Sony covering? If the system fails to even load up the game (freezes before the first cinematic) or just constant freezing in GTAIV?

Also, when do most of the errors occur?

Top Bottom