• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It's astonishing how many non-book readers don't care about the Wall or the Night's Watch. The producers really dropped the ball in expressing just how important that storyline is.

Actually I think it makes perfect sense. Just like those soft idiots in the south they don't understand that winter is coming, that the wall has a purpose beyond being a prison and that magic is real.

scosher

Having Grenn and Pyp die would be like Tolkien killing off Merry and Pippin. It just aint right although I can see why the show producers did it. So instead of Jon just being stupid and sending them away, he just won't have as many friends left at Castle Black before he gets murked.

The Wall arc is about to get a ton of new characters. The show is faced with the reality of paying actors, so it really doesn't make much sense to keep certain characters, especially if the script won't even have much room for them to have speaking lines. Better to give them heroic deaths in this battle, in my opinion.

Plus, they need to start giving more screen and facetime for Bowen Marsh, who I assume they'll recast.

Iksenpets

Banned
The Wall arc is about to get a ton of new characters. The show is faced with the reality of paying actors, so it really doesn't make much sense to keep certain characters, especially if the script won't even have much room for them to have speaking lines. Better to give them heroic deaths in this battle, in my opinion.

Plus, they need to start giving more screen and facetime for Bowen Marsh, who I assume they'll recast.

I think giving Alisser some redemption this episode and making sure to show him being dragged off still alive is them setting things up to replace Bowen with Alisser for the show. Castle Black cast for next season will basically be (minus Sam, Gilly, Aemon, and Janos, who will all be gone in an episode or two) Jon, Alisser, Edd, Stannis, and Melisandre. And a little bit of Selyse and Shireen and the little kid who killed Ygritte.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why did it take me so long to realize the woman Aemon was in love with was Olenna Tyrell?
Uh, because there's no indication of that? We know Olenna wasn't fond of Targaryens anyway. She was engaged to one but went on to seduce Luthor Tyrell ("he couldn't walk for days", apparently). :p

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Uh, because there's no indication of that? We know Olenna wasn't fond of Targaryens anyway. She was engaged to one but went on to seduce Luthor Tyrell ("he couldn't walk for days", apparently). :p

That's what makes it ironic. He can still picture her face, and she didn't even like him.

- EW: 'Game of Thrones' showrunners promise: Best finale yet
“It’s the best finale we’ve ever done, bar none,” Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss said in a statement. “The performances from our cast, the direction from Alex Graves, the VFX work, the new [music] cues from Ramin Djawadi—all of it came together in perhaps the finest hour we’ve produced. We’re immensely proud of ‘The Children.’ And a little intimidated by the episode, because now we have to get back to the business of season five and figure out a way to top it.”

JDSN

Banned
I need me an spin-off of Allister and Cook guy traveling westeros while solving mysteries. I really hope the eventual scenes of Selmy are as compelling.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A Storm of Swords said:
Stannis ground his teeth. “It is not my wish to tamper with your rights and traditions. As to royal guidance, Janos, if you mean that I ought to tell your brothers to choose you, have the courage to say so.”
That took Lord Janos aback. He smiled uncertainly and began to sweat, but Bowen Marsh beside him said, “Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold, sire?”
“Any of you, I would think. Even the cook.”
I agree with Stannis. Look!
ibe1I7W7GnnSvM.gif

That cook is goddamn badass. :D

Pkaz01

They should have put up maisie in season 2 when she was killinh it with charles dance. They didnt give her much to work with this season other than episode 1

I really hope pedro wins though. What a season for him

I thought the episode was great last night.

Pyp
biblethump.png

Grenn
biblethump.png

Technically the battle was fantastic, and I think they did a good job with the characters during that episode given their development to this time. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but I can't help but think that it could've been strengthened by giving Mance some characterization and screen time up to this point. Hinds has been in the show for like 8 minutes.

Pretty surprised they ended the episode at that point, although it worked pretty well (despite all us book readers wanting to see what comes next now). The Children is going to be a fucking bananas episode!

Re-watched.

My main issue with the battle was the 5 minutes where they let the giants get up to the gate, fiddle around with hooks and mammoths and then proceeded to tear it down.

Only then did they start to drop things on them. You think they could have been a little more prompt given that was pretty much 99.9% of their defence plan.

Finished the episode. I thought the ending with Jon leaving swordless was too...heroic for this world, but overall that was a badass episode. I remember thinking the last season of Spartacus' finale battle was better than the Blackwater battle, but THIS was easily the best battle I've seen on TV. That tracking shot...holy shit. Perfectly directed. Loved Jon's swagger, loved Sam opening the kennel to free Ghost, loved Thorne fighting in such a classical, "proper" way compared to the wild lunges of the wildlings. Great episode.

And I like how at the end they note the battle isn't over, even if I disliked that final Jon scene. Also didn't like how casual a lot of stuff was. Oh a mammoth? Let's watch it for a few minutes! Where's the urgency. But that's a nitpick I guess.

I still don't understand the logic of having only 100 NW. After that battle they might have what, 30 men? There would have been no harm in saying the watch had 300-500 men or something, or even the nearly 1000 they have in the books. Grenn and Bowen Marsh lead 200 men in a battle at the Eastwatch bridge for instance, why not note that. I'm curious how all this will work out once the wildlings come beyond the wall next season. Having 600+ NW members to deal with them after the truce would make a lot more sense. But then again, maybe Stannis will leave a bunch of men on the Wall. That would work.

Fuck that kid btw. I laughed when he nodded lol, kind of ruined the mood. RIP Ygritte.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I hope this comment isn't against the rules about doing detective work on the no-books thread, it's more just an observation on something I think the show really dropped the ball.

They're talking about the meaning of "The Song of Ice and Fire", what it means, and even talking about Aemon as a Targaryan in Westeros. I think it's a big let down that the show has totally ignored the mystery of Jon's parentage. I think the show watchers are really missing something cool by not having that mystery be laid out in the first season, as it was the first book.

I think the show watchers are really missing something cool by not having that mystery be laid out in the first season, as it was the first book.

I thought they laid it out well and made a big deal out of it, especially with the scene between Robert and Ned having lunch and the final scene when Jon and Ned part.

If anything they made too big of a deal with it, given the favoured theories are true about the reveal. I wouldn't be surprised if show watchers pieced it together, especially since a mystery mother in tv/film is unlikely to be insignificant.

I hope this comment isn't against the rules about doing detective work on the no-books thread, it's more just an observation on something I think the show really dropped the ball.

They're talking about the meaning of "The Song of Ice and Fire", what it means, and even talking about Aemon as a Targaryan in Westeros. I think it's a big let down that the show has totally ignored the mystery of Jon's parentage. I think the show watchers are really missing something cool by not having that mystery be laid out in the first season, as it was the first book.

I don't think they've dropped the ball on this at all. Jon's parentage being a mystery is something they established in season 1 and the Unsullied I've spoken to are aware of it.

kirblar

The showrunners are almost certainly avoiding that subject on-screen, because once you get a whiff of what went down at the Tower, you know the answer.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah you really only need to hear about Lyanna like twice before it's obvious "who is Jon's mom" is less interesting than "who is Jon's dad".

I always do wonder though: did Ned have a wartime lover? Some scullery babe? Dayne after all?

Faddy

Banned
Jon's parentage is basically explained in the first couple of episodes with 3 conversations Robert and Ned in the crypt, Ned and Jon leaving Winterfell, and Robert and Ned on the king's road.

Turin

Banned
I agree with Stannis. Look!
ibe1I7W7GnnSvM.gif

That cook is goddamn badass. :D

I really hope they bring that dude back. Do it D&D!

Yeah you really only need to hear about Lyanna like twice before it's obvious "who is Jon's mom" is less interesting than "who is Jon's dad".

I always do wonder though: did Ned have a wartime lover? Some scullery babe? Dayne after all?

I think Ned likely had some affection for Ashara but I doubt anything came of it.

Szeth

So for the past 2 episodes HBO has put up the recaps on the Tuesday before the episode. So we could have our Stoneheart confirmation one way or the other as early as tomorrow. Unless of course they don't upload the recap that early, as they haven't done that for all the episodes, only the last 2 AFAIK.

So the way I see it, it all comes down to whether or not they show the Brotherhood. If they're in the recaps, boom, end is Stoneheart, get hype. If they're not, boom, end is shit, get raged.

Now I know some people may think if they don't show them it might be because they want it to be a complete surprise, but I don't think that's true at all. They'd definitely at least remind the audience of the existence of the Brotherhood and they could easily do that without showing the resurrection stuff.

So we'll at least have our answer before the episode as long as they put that recap up sometime before it airs.

Monocle

I have mixed feelings about The Wall. The showrunners clearly wanted their Helm's Deep episode, and who can blame them for that? As a standalone work, it's spectacular. They nailed it hard. (Almost to the point that it sticks out as a calculated television event.) As part of this fourth season and the ASOIAF series as a whole... well, the only reason it's not a total waste of time is the entertainment factor of an episode-spanning battle, well executed.

Where does the show stand now, though? Almost exactly where it did at the end of episode 8. That would be fine if we hadn't spent the full hour with the most poorly adapted characters and storylines, or if, at the very least, Stannis had showed up to move the timeline forward in the North. But we have, and he didn't, and now the finale has relatively little time to resolve a heap of key events in many locations. And that's before we even consider any setup for the next season. Lady S., anyone?

So basically I'm expecting The Children either to be too scattered or to condense some major events more than I'm comfortable with. And yet somehow I'm still optimistic, lol.

changes up the reason for people trying to vote him for LC (to get him out of the kitchen).

I kind of figured it was to get him out because he's a horrible cook or something disgusting.

Maybe they're scared of him. Rightly so, it seems.

Nah, Hobb's cooking was actually pretty good from what I remember. But yeah, he's quite something else.

I have mixed feelings about The Wall. The showrunners clearly wanted their Helm's Deep episode, and who can blame them for that? As a standalone work, it's spectacular. They nailed it hard. (Almost to the point that it sticks out as a calculated television event.) As part of this fourth season and the ASOIAF series as a whole... well, the only reason it's not a total waste of time is the entertainment factor of an episode-spanning battle, well executed.

Where does the show stand now, though? Almost exactly where it did at the end of episode 8. That would be fine if we hadn't spent the full hour with the most poorly adapted characters and storylines, or if, at the very least, Stannis had showed up to move the timeline forward in the North. But we have, and he didn't, and now the finale has relatively little time to resolve a heap of key events in many locations. And that's before we even consider any setup for the next season. Lady S., anyone?

So basically I'm expecting The Children either to be too scattered or to condense some major events more than I'm comfortable with. And yet somehow I'm still optimistic, lol.

There is a lot of truth in this. But I think this episode was actually good for the development of the characters at the wall. And It was important to establish the importance of that plotline for the next season and beyond. I wish they had handled it better in the past, but I wouldn't call this episode a waste of time at all.

Famassu

That and mostly because the framing of them has continued to be just "forced of darkness" and that's a total snoozefest. Maybe they will be revealed to be not just boring apocalyptic force of evil like many in here believe, but for now that are just boring fantasy bad guys, and what drew me to the series was all the politicking and complexity, not that stuff.
The Others have been a bit of a cliched evil force so far, but I don't see how it's really a problem or any kind of snoozefest. Like with a lot of cliches that GRRM likes to use in unconventional ways or kind of turn on their heads, having this "army of darkness" on the move has brought a lot of great moments & awesome drama to the storylines. In the end, it hasn't been as much about fighting this cliched army of darkness, but the kind of humane drama and larger storylines that it has created, just like Dany's dragons are used in a multitude of interesting ways instead of them being an automatic key to victory or an awesome power without any negatives or downsides. The few times they've been seen have established them as a threat worth being scared of and that threat of the Others, in turn, has put the Wildlings on the move which gets us the whole Jon beyond the wall story arc, Jon amongst the wildlings story arc, Ygritte, the superb Battle on the Wall, Stannis at the Wall and all that ensues, Jon deciding to take the wildlings in (which was a great move from him) and the horrors that are happening by the end of ADWD to those who decided to not come south of the Wall.

Of course by the time the Others actually do get to the wall and there's perhaps more interaction with them, hopefully they aren't quite as simple as they've been portrayed as so far, though I don't think it would completely destroy the story even if they were. But... it being GRRM, I'm sure there are at least some more or less awesome twists to them, either in regards to their motives, to what they will actually do or to what they actually are (or to all of those).

Monocle

There is a lot of truth in this. But I think this episode was actually good for the development of the characters at the wall. And It was important to establish the importance of that plotline for the next season and beyond. I wish they had handled it better in the past, but I wouldn't call this episode a waste of time at all.
I think my final opinion of this episode will probably hinge on how well the Wall stuff is handled next season. "Waste of time" might be a bit of an exaggeration if it leads to good things.

Loke13

Did anyone else laugh laugh when Kit said "Those are GIANTS riding MAMMOTHS!" Kit's delivery of that line was just so perfect.

He's really stepped up this season as an actor can't wait to see him being the LC.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I cannot wait for next week and the Stoneheart reveal to finally end the speculation. It's just GOT to be in there, it's the ray of grim, horrible hope after all the terrible things that have happened. It needs to stay in. No skipping Brienne ahead, no cutting Stoneheart. They've been pretty faithful to some of the more outlandish elements of the series (anyone remember Mel birthing a shadow demon??), this feels like a crucial element that they'd be foolish to cut as the final bit of the season.

Monocle

I cannot wait for next week and the Stoneheart reveal to finally end the speculation. It's just GOT to be in there, it's the ray of grim, horrible hope after all the terrible things that have happened. It needs to stay in. No skipping Brienne ahead, no cutting Stoneheart. They've been pretty faithful to some of the more outlandish elements of the series (anyone remember Mel birthing a shadow demon??), this feels like a crucial element that they'd be foolish to cut as the final bit of the season.
It would make for a great final WTF moment to get people hyped for Season 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom