• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky E3 trailers

The thing is, even if you look at games with man made levels (as in non-procedural), depending on the type and theme, you could be looking at anything from one to maybe a dozen different environments, but that's it. When you start talking about "infinite" or at least hundreds or thousands of somewhat different environments, the actual amount stops being important. I'm pretty sure we'll see a lot of similar or samey environments and creatures during our gameplay, but if you look at various shooters or open world games, they probably have a lot less variety yet can easily keep you occupied for at least 10-20 hours, even the painstakingly repetitive Ubisoft titles.

For example, Spelunky has about 10 different, procedurally generated environments yet it's one of the most replayed games ever. Even stuff like Payday 2 is surprisingly addictive even if it has a relatively low amount of levels. The very variations of the same looking levels can still be challenging and interesting for a long while.

But I agree with some concerns about the exploration gameplay. I would greatly enjoy just exploring these planets, cataloging the various species and possibly gather resources but the minute by minute gameplay needs to be engaging enough or it can become stale very fast. Stuff I'd really like to see:

- High difficulty (think Dark Souls or at least Minecraft in terms of survivability and resource requirements). The devs mentioned something early on about traversing to nearby planets would be relatively easy but wanting to jump further would require a lot of work, so that sounds nice so far.

- Various obligatory tasks on most planets. Something like planet prospecting, placing a grid of markers to scan a continent for resources, mining/drilling, clear an area of plants or wildlife to build a base or beacon, terraform an area to balance out the ecosystem, lots of "gotta catch'em all" analysis and gathering, send probes all around the world to draw out the map of the planet etc. And all of this should be rewarding in some way, either by making the tasks fun to play or rewarding you with experience, upgrades, new equipment etc.

- I think they mentioned you'll have at least some sort of puzzle elements while exploring, figuring out what you need to do etc. This can help in breaking the monotonous aspects of exploration if done right.

- Trading would be nice although it seems this will be a more of a "lonesome spaceman" experience, so I doubt it. Still, you could at least gather excessive resources from planets and sell them at some automated space stations for rewards.

I mean, there's a whole bunch of old games like Starflight and Protostar that have most of these elements set and working very nicely, but they didn't have the more approachable first person, realtime oriented gameplay. If NMS manages to fuse the two, even on a more shallow level, I'll be more than happy.

2578096-7000006506-is5Z6.gif

Dune! I can't wait to start smuggling spice.

Regarding concerns about procedural generation of the planets being beyond storage capabilities:

A

That character there, all glorious 8 bits of it, is all that was needed to represent 256 levels in Pitfall! in 1982.

Using one, or a couple, of seeds per planet will be plenty for incredible variation and low-storage. The only thing that should need to be stored are things like discovery information or changes (which they'll likely limit). Even limited changes can be OK, so long as they "decay." For instance, imagine a game where you chop down a tree but then in a couple of game years it grows back. You only have to store the change during the time between chopping and growing back (and you can use the time remaining on the timer to even have it transition from a sapling to a small tree to a bigger tree to a huge tree (and adjust the yield of wood from the tree from chopping it before it reaches maturity).

Edit: To clarify, each of the 8 bits, or sometimes a combination of two bits in that 8 bits, represented a different element, like whether there was a pit, or log, or rope, or crocodiles. The player's current screen (0 - 255) need only be tracked. If the player exits screen 183, for example, to the right then the next screen would be procedurally generated from the bits that make up 184 (10111000). Left would like-wise use 182. In my example above A would be the ASCII representation of screen 65.

BibiMaghoo

Most interesting looking E3 game for me, looks fantastic, just need to know more about what the player actually spends their time doing other than flying around and shooting random stuff.

This game looks stunning. I really can't wait to try it. Exploration is great, but I do hope there are some tasks to do. Collecting soil and mineral samples would be pretty awesome. It looks like you already database creatures.

One thing I don't understand is how they are handling the size of the Universe. Infinite procedural generated universe but every players goal is to get to the middle? How would that work? Also they mention that players can see a map where other players have explored (if those player's chose to share that information). How do you handle a map tool with an infinite generation? Couldn't someone break the game by continually travelling in one direction.

They define an algorithm that produces the same result given the same input. So all you need is the input number that creates the planet that someone discovered. It's quite elegant. Quoting this from earlier in the thread as it does a great job explaining how procedural generation works:

For those wondering about procedural generation, this is explained more in this video with David Braben. This guy is the genius who created Elite. I'm hoping their system is similar to this. In Elite, they use Fibonacci numbers, which if people here don't know are a set of numbers that is found a lot in nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBvpd3_Vqk

CTLance

Those perplexed by PRNGs and procedural generation ought to give this TED talk a good listen. Braben may not be a Chris Roberts (he's always been rather skittish and avoided the limelight, as opposed to Roberts) - but you can definitely see the fire burning within him.

Seriously. Let Braben explain procedural generation to you. Who else could possibly be better suited.

todahawk

Did anyone catch this on the No Man's Sky about page???

link:
SURVIVE ON A DANGEROUS FRONTIER
Every solar system, planet, ocean and cave is filled with danger, and you are vulnerable.
Your ship and suit are fragile, and every encounter can test your skills to the limit. From dogfighting in space to firstperson combat on a planet’s surface, you will face foes ready to overwhelm you.
And one mistake could see you lose everything. In No Man’s Sky, every victory and every defeat is permanent.

Are we talking permadeath here? Shiiiiiiit.

edit:
Dug up the interview posted on RPS...
Note the word “survive”. Failure is a big part of No Man’s Sky, although it sounds as if the exact mechanics aren’t set in stone.

“How it is at the moment, is that you can’t die, but you can lose everything,” explains Murray. “There is no saved game. Your game will be saved, your progress is saved all the time as you go along, but if your ship is destroyed then you go back to a lifepod and you’ve lost that ship, and that is your everything.”

If you decide to fill your ship with fuel and go on a risky trip to a distant, dangerous solar system, you could find yourself in trouble. “If you warp in and it is to a solar system that is full of pirates and you get shot down, then you have lost all of that. You can then rebuild from there, and you will be where you are in that universe.”

Linkup

Can't wait to see how this really plays. Easily the more interesting game shown for me. Love the apparent focus on exploration. Just hope the soundtrack is top notch and present, getting tired of games throwing a bone now and then with most of the time it's just ambient sounds happening.

Bydobob

I'll be gobsmacked if the game really allows you the freedom to fly and land anywhere on such densely populated planets without recycling a ton of assets. The scope and demands on hardware are unthinkable.

Otherwise an awe-inspiring trailer, topping even the initial reveal. I actually felt shades of Metroid Prime during the opening.

I'm definitely excited to see more of this game! The dogfighting looks fun and I'm interested about exploring the planets. What do you actually do, like what is the objective?

I think seeing this is may be my favourite moment of E3.

This is one of those games I hoped I'd one day be playing back when I was in school, bored out of my mind imagining what games would be like in the years to come.

JesseZao

I'm a bit apprehensive at the scope the game promises. It strikes me as one of those games that will be a bit too aimless, or won't live up to the hype.

Like the promise that "every player will start on their own planet" I can't imagine actually being as neat as that sounds.

My thoughts as well. Developers want to be the next evolution of minecraft, but I don't think this is what people will enjoy playing. Everquest landmark is the next step imo.

This sorta reminded me of a gaffers indie sci-fi procedural decent-like shooter. It has a large scope, but lacks focus for the players to experience meaningful engagement.

Blizzard

Banned
Procedural content is all well and good, but it tends to result in environments that are different in the details, but are thematically uniform. Taking minecraft as an example, you can walk through 100km of Plains biome and never see anything surprising. The generation is constrained by rules: "Hills no steeper than this", "these plants, in this distribution", "this colour of grass". The only true variation comes from the transition to other biomes, whose rules are hand-made.

I respectfully disagree with this, unless Minecraft totally changed the way this worked in the last year or so. Generation is constrained by rules, but one of the best parts of Minecraft for me was always starting on some random seed and finding something like an amazing valley with a natural arch, a huge cave entrance, or an extensive tunnel system you can get lost in for literally hours.

Yes ultimately it's just a computer program generating that, but it was still fresh for ME even if it was just another neat tunnel or mountain landscape.

This is such an ambitious project, but I enjoy ambitious game making in a world of sequels and safe money makers.

I'm still not sure how the actual game will be like, but an indie developer pushing ideas that even AAA game developers haven't really come close to realising is an eye-opener.

Hope they pull their vision for the game off.

I'll be gobsmacked if the game really allows you the freedom to fly and land anywhere on such densely populated planets without recycling a ton of assets. The scope and demands on hardware are unthinkable.

You gotta imagine the team at Hello Games has thought about that. A lot.

So now that it's confirmed coming to current gen consoles-- at least, PS4 (though I'm sure X1 as well)-- I think it's safe to assume that those demands on hardware to create (the illusion of?) seamless travel from sea to land, to sky, to space, and then back again have been in the forefront as one of the "problems to solve", so to speak. If they're showing it for consoles then I'm going to say that they've cracked it and that we're all in for a helluva ride.

I think that trailer perfectly illustrates why everybody is so hyped on the game. Everybody I've linked that trailer to-- non-gamers especially-- flipped when that second planet came into view and the ship seamlessly got in on the moving floor. Every single person came away saying "I want to play that right now. Whatever machine I need to buy, point me to it."

Looking forward to seeing more of it in under 15min.

El Sloth

Banned
Just to reiterate:

This game is singleplayer only, correct? But since everyone is playing in the same shared universe it has multiplayer-like elements like being able to visit a planet a friend has discovered and stripping it of it's resources so no one else can utilize it, right?

Storm Breaking

Neo Member
If this game can keep even half the promises that they're saying it can do, then I will be a happy man. This is the kind of stuff I play videos games for.

zlatko

Banned
Definitely on my radar for a unique experience. The art style is great.

I just worry there isn't much "meat" to the gameplay here.

Jinko

Definitely on my radar for a unique experience. The art style is great.

I just worry there isn't much "meat" to the gameplay here.

Yea I think this is a big worry for a lot of people, exploration and discovery is great and all but hopefully there is more than that to the game otherwise its going to get boring pretty fast.

Just to reiterate:

This game is singleplayer only, correct? But since everyone is playing in the same shared universe it has multiplayer-like elements like being able to visit a planet a friend has discovered and stripping it of it's resources so no one else can utilize it, right?

Really, none of that is known at this point (I don't think).

What is being said is that:

- The way multiplayer is handled in games like Journey and Dark Souls are dear to the devs; make of that what you will.

- It's been said before that there are shared elements in the universe e.g. someone discovering something before anybody else and having that credited to "Discovered by 420xxBLAZ3xx" or something like that. Dunno about stripping a planet of resources or killing off a species on a planet-- essentially acting like a galactic dick, though I definitely remember them mentioning the extinction bit before and saying that it will be a part of the game. Considering how there are tons of people that just want to act like griefers, I hope Hello Games puts in some checks and balances with stuff like that.

Yeah I wasn't expecting much but would have loved seeing a bit more gameplay. Even if it was that exact scenario of moving from the cave -> ship -> space -> second planet... if that were done in real time with the dev controlling it, that would've left a greater impression, imo.

The head of the team is pretty awesome. He is really that confidence in his stuff and isn't a PR hose.

The eagerness he shows in wanting to talk about thing he is incredibly excited about, yet knowing full well that the whole of the internet is waiting to parse every minute detail he gives and so he is super cagey at not wanting to give away too much, or at least not until it's ready.... is so palpable and endearing. Really fun to listen to him talk about the game.

TunaUppercut

Neo Member
This game looks very technically impressive. And the art direction is really good. I'm curious to learn more about the gameplay mechanics. From the trailer it looks like gathering resources and combat will play a large role in the gameplay. How the team expands upon the gameplay in the trailer will be quite intriguing.

Top Bottom