• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst - Sony/Microsoft console sales aren’t bad…just bad compared to Nintendo.

http://kotaku.com/5016382/interview-pachter-says-console-sales-still-ok-but-expect-holiday-price-drops

“I don’t really think that Microsoft and Sony are doing badly - just doing badly in comparison to Nintendo. It makes sense that PS3 and 360 are doing about the same… instead of saying ‘what’s wrong with Sony and Microsoft,’ we should be looking at Nintendo and saying, ‘how the hell do they keep doing this?’” - Wedbush Morgan analyst, Michael Pachter :lol :lol :lol

we can't help but giggle after reading this shit while simultaneously unboxing our new PS3 bundle MGS4 ...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
future_pinoy said:
http://kotaku.com/5016382/interview-pachter-says-console-sales-still-ok-but-expect-holiday-price-drops

“I don’t really think that Microsoft and Sony are doing badly - just doing badly in comparison to Nintendo. It makes sense that PS3 and 360 are doing about the same… instead of saying ‘what’s wrong with Sony and Microsoft,’ we should be looking at Nintendo and saying, ‘how the hell do they keep doing this?’” - Wedbush Morgan analyst, Michael Pachter :lol :lol :lol

we can't help but giggle after reading this shit while simultaneously unboxing our new PS3 bundle MGS4 ...

You can't make this assertion for good or bad. We've never had a generation like this where there are two $400 consoles that are viable. They are priced out of the mainstream. Value is iin the eye of the beholder and so far people are mostly saying that Waggle>HD

EDIT: He's graying. Those predictions are haunting him :lol
pachter_2008.jpg

I know that I talk about him plenty, but I'd honestly give up until next gen while taking what is learned this gen. 99.9% of us got it wrong. People trying to make judgments on the fly are still getting it wrong. Just put down your pencils and marvel at the clinic Nintendo is administering.

knkng

Kotaku said:
Pachter also anticipates possible future supply constraints for Wii, based on Nintendo's history of consistently underestimating demand...
1. Ya think, Pachter?

2. Ugh, they're not underestimating.

This guys just states the obvious and then underlines it with stupidity. Unbelievable.

Pachter said:
The people on Kotaku, other than their parents, they've never met anyone who's had sex
Pachter's never had sex CONFIRMED!

If the consoles are doing far worse than the PS2 and Xbox did the sales should be considered bad. It will take a small miracle to get the HD consoles up to 160+ million by the end of this generation.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Cool Hand Luke said:
If the consoles are doing far worse than the PS2 and Xbox did the sales should be considered bad. It will take a small miracle to get the HD consoles up to 160+ million by the end of this generation.

Small? That is, off the top of my head, about 5x as of now. I don't see it now.

Neo C.

kotaku said:
Pachter thinks it's likely to see a $50 reduction in the PS3's price. "They'll go $100 if they can afford to," he said, possibly close to the release of LittleBigPlanet, taking a "family bundle" angle.
After the huge amount of money they have lost with the PS3, I don't see why Sony would lower the price because they can "afford" it. Similar to Microsoft, I think they will try to stick with the high price as long as they can to recoup the losses.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Pachter thinks it's likely to see a $50 reduction in the PS3's price. "They'll go $100 if they can afford to," he said, possibly close to the release of LittleBigPlanet, taking a "family bundle" angle.
I LOL'd at Little Big Planet being a part of any mainstream marketing plans.

Neomoto

Uhm, didn't he said yesterday that it was dissapointing how GTA IV failed to move consoles? And that Microsoft is struggeling and needs a price cut or something? But now they are doing fine only if you leave Wii out? Ok.

Diablos

Wii is so successful because it attracts people who are NOT traditional gamers. If you take away those people Wii's sales figures are likely significantly reduced. What makes Wii so successful is that it basically expanded the market. It truly is in a class of its own, with its innovative approach to gameplay, whereas the PS3 and 360 primarily build upon what we've always expected out of a game console.

PS3 and 360 are depending on North America and Europe for sales. Japan isn't very reliable for them (especially 360). Wii is dominating everywhere, on the other hand.

farnham

Banned
Boom Blox sales arent bad just bad compared to GTA IV

Diablos said:
Wii is so successful because it attracts people who are NOT traditional gamers. If you take away those people Wii's sales figures are likely significantly reduced. What makes Wii so successful is that it basically expanded the market. It truly is in a class of its own, with its innovative approach to gameplay, whereas the PS3 and 360 primarily build upon what we've always expected out of a game console.

PS3 and 360 are depending on North America and Europe for sales. Japan isn't very reliable for them (especially 360). Wii is dominating everywhere, on the other hand.

same with the PS2.. there were many people just buying games like Dynasty Warriors, Winning Eleven, Fifa, Madden and thats about it..

Pachael

My name's nearly Pachter (two letters different), so I'll make more than half an analyst.

"Well, Sony and Microsoft have done really well in these circumstances, so instead of saying "How badly are they doing things", we should be asking how so many people got it wrong about Nintendo."

"Since I'm at it, I'm switching camps. Go Nintendo!"

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
farnham has a really good point. I buy a ton of games for my 360. But I know many people who call themselves gamers and only buy 4 or 5 games a year! I think that may be closer to the norm than we would like to admit. So thinking that they would go out and buy a 360 to sit next to their PS3 seems a bit like wishful thinking.

legend166

dskillzhtown said:
farnham has a really good point. I buy a ton of games for my 360. But I know many people who call themselves gamers and only buy 4 or 5 games a year! I think that may be closer to the norm than we would like to admit. So thinking that they would go out and buy a 360 to sit next to their PS3 seems a bit like wishful thinking.

It's obviously much closer to the norm. Even with regards to the 360, and it's crazy attach rate. 8, or something? I bet if you polled GAF, a lot would have double that number. That means there's a lot of people out there who only have 1 game.

dskillzhtown said:
Considering tie ratios for even amazingly successful systems never get much past 10, and there are some people who buy more than that in a year, there must be a large group of people who get very few games. Even your friends getting 4-5 in a year are well above average if they hold that pace through the length of an entire generation.

joedan

Wasn't Pachter the one saying that PS3 would be selling 500K per month and 360 PS3 sales would be higher after GTA etc. He was claiming absolute numbers too, not relative.

Diablos

farnham said:
Boom Blox sales arent bad just bad compared to GTA IV

same with the PS2.. there were many people just buying games like Dynasty Warriors, Winning Eleven, Fifa, Madden and thats about it..
But even then, PS2 was still more of your everyday console, with a really impressive game library. Nintendo REALLY changed things with the Wiimote and opened a door for people who were always turned off by games.

joedan said:
Wasn't Pachter the one saying that PS3 would be selling 500K per month and 360 PS3 sales would be higher after GTA etc. He was claiming absolute numbers too, not relative.
Maybe if gas wasn't on its way to $4/gal and the economy didn't suck in general, something like this would have happened. We're basically in a recession, which is going to keep a lot of people from buying a new game console, particularly if it is ~$400 or more. Demand for damn near EVERYTHING but necessities goes down at times like this, so you can definitely expect the video game industry to take a hit, too.

farnham

Banned
Diablos said:
But even then, PS2 was still more of your everyday console, with a really impressive game library. Nintendo REALLY changed things with the Wiimote and opened a door for people who were always turned off by games.

well dont forget that the PS2 was also one of the first DVD players...

Diablos said:
Maybe if gas wasn't on its way to $4/gal and the economy didn't suck in general, something like this would have happened. We're basically in a recession, which is going to keep a lot of people from buying a new game console, particularly if it is ~$400 or more. Demand for damn near EVERYTHING but necessities goes down at times like this, so you can definitely expect the video game industry to take a hit, too.
Funny how the recession seems to spare the wii and wii fit sales :lol :lol :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Pachter needs to stop rationalizing and just say "you know what, I completely missed the ball on the PS3 and Wii"

Period

Top Bottom