• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestar.de: The vultures are circling over Crytek [Up3: Eurogamer/Kotaku jump in]

bigjig

Well, when your games are "used" more as benchmarks rather than "played" for fun you know you've done fucked up somewhere along the line.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
One of those vultures is everyone's favorite F2P Company.

Hope it goes well for Crytek.

Freeman

Banned
The first Crysis was the only game Crytec made that I liked, but even that wasn't a particularly great game, although it was impressive.

Crysis 2 and 3 to me are unbearable, pretty much everything I liked about Crysis was gone and everything I disliked was worse.

Ryse seems completely rushed and uninspired, they should just sell that IP to MS or whomever wants to pay more for it.

Homefront looks surprisingly decent, I hope they can evolve into a better studio.

malcher

Hopefully, they get to make sequel to Ryse. Despite all, I loved that game. Mainly for the setting and graphics, but still. There is room for improvement to make Ryse 2 a better received title. Maybe MS could help them through the crisis.

scitek

If Crytek is having money problems, then why the fuck are they making a sequel to HOMEFRONT?

It's been in development for a long time. Presumably, they were expecting to be in much better shape with hopes of their F2P model taking off in conjunction with their engine licensing at the start of a new generation. Also, THQ was still around to do the major worrying.

I just looked up the list of Parters games.

Yikes.

That list is depressive. It also has the only EA games along with Boom Blox and Grand Slam Tennis I've bought from EA in the last console generation. Aside from finally checking out Mass Effect eventually none of their future projects interest me.

ck8215

does anyone (a developer would be great) know why crytek's tech isn't being widely licensed?

We have a project group at my university where we develope games and for our last game we used the Cryengine. It is a horrible engine. It makes everything overly complicated and it has sometimes errors you have no idea where it comes from.
It looks pretty but nothing more.

And the support was a real mess.

wrowa

does anyone (a developer would be great) know why crytek's tech isn't being widely licensed?

Big developers preferred UE3 in the past and will develop their next games with UE4 (if they aren't developing their own technology).

Indie developers love Unity.

Not all that much room left for CryEngine.

d0g_bear

What would a theoretical Crytek bankruptcy mean for games in development licensing their engine? I'm thinking specifically of star citizen.

QaaQer

Focus on f2p instead of making something 'really cool'

I don't get middle management at all. Very controversial decisions. Too many layers. Too many wrong people holding key positions and making irrational calls.

Sadly, there is an obvious disrespect for quality, as (short-term) financial "success" seems to be the only thing that matters. I heard Crytek used to aim for a Metacritic score above 90 with Far Cry and the Crysis games before I joined, but these times are definitively gone. Thus, since a couple of years, it became very hard to hire seniors, especially oversea, as the studio lost some of its appeal for creative people (game/level designers and artists).

glassdoor.

QaaQer

Work life balance is as bad as it gets in the industry. Just brutal

Cross-company anxiety about the future - few people seem to want to make the kind of games the company is planning to make.

There is very little desire to challenge conceptual boundaries in order to make something new and unique. I would go as far as to say there is a culture of 'borrowing' ideas from elsewhere without due credit or understanding.

Unethical business practices. (Sunday work in Germany and working on red holidays is not allowed without permission by German authorities but still insisted upon.
Vacation is normally only allowed in between projects and since most projects tend to take longer than 2 years, a majority of developers sit on 50 plus holidays at the end of the project.

X1000

more glassdoor.

Sounds like they have a hard time finding and keeping quality people.

Bedlam

It really sucks that the good people over there might lose their jobs but honestly, given the direction the company has been heading in the lst couple of years, I wouldn't shed a tear for Crytek. Yerli & co seemingly want to embrace everything I hate about modern game development (unoriginality, short term profit goals, F2P etc.).

I wonder if Yerli still thinks that F2P is the one true and bright future of videogaming.

No documentation,
barely any tutorials,
no source,
terrible, terrible forums,
over 200 sounds? Have to license a different sound engine for $700,
stop subscribing and lose all access unlike UE4
Probably the worst pipeline I've ever seen for a game editor, you have to use 3ds max and nothing else

I can probably write more if you want

Nokterian

It really sucks that the good people over there might lose their jobs but honestly, given the direction the company has been heading in the lst couple of years, I wouldn't shed a tear for Crytek. Yerli & co seemingly want to embrace everything I hate about modern game development (unoriginality, short term profit goals, F2P etc.).

I wonder if Yerli still thinks that F2P is the one true and bright future of videogaming.

Well they do not see how F2P should work looking at Dota 2 for example or even Epic with there new Unreal Tourmanent.

No documentation,
barely any tutorials,
no source,
Probably the worst pipeline I've ever seen for a game editor, you have to use 3ds max and nothing else

Yikes no wonder i see a lot of devs on twitter praising UE4 and those updates there are in full swing.

I liked Ryse and crysis 1 hated 2 never played 3, but in all honesty this is one company I have no real attachments too,if they were to disappear I can't say I'd miss them, not saying I want them to go just that for some reason they don't have any real nostalgia or anything going for them imo.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Oh god NO!!!! Crytek better not go under for at least another 5 years and I say this not because I care about Crytek IPs but because Free Radical Design is Crytek UK right now and I would hate to see the Timesplitters guys hit rock bottom a 2nd time! Yeah Sure they haven't work on a Timesplitters game since the purchase and Crytek has made it clear that they have no interest in making a Timesplitters game but at least they are letting Michael Hubicka make Timesplitters Rewind for PC and PS4 right now.

Crytek going under isn't going help Timesplitters Rewind and getting bought out by another company just to have that new company stop all support for Timesplitter Rewind isn't going to help either.

fasTRapid

Banned
That's one way to look at it. Another one would be that they deviated too much from their original formula. When they tried to include the consoles, they couldn't continue making games the way they did before.
You all seem to forget that they ported Crysis 1 to last gen after Crysis 2 IIRC, so that sort of game would have absolutely been possible on the additional platforms providing additional profit. They changed their vision and we all can only speculate why, but consoles aren't to blame.

Hopefully, they get to make sequel to Ryse. Despite all, I loved that game. Mainly for the setting and graphics, but still. There is room for improvement to make Ryse 2 a better received title. Maybe MS could help them through the crisis.

I think there is a lot of potential in the IP. I hope MS does buy it. They just need to cut the kinect garbage out from the start, revamp the fighting system and add some RPG elements. Would love a RYSE game that told a story focused on different time periods a la Asscreed.

ShinMaruku

As long as the talent is put in proper places and the skills of that studio's staff enriches other games, I will consider that a win.

Lumicide

Banned
How much would the Ryse IP really be worth?
Of the popular game engines I think they have the worst deal (no source code)

Time to start another stretch goal for STAR CITIZEN: Save Crytek for $50 million
Stretch Goal 50m $: port to UnrealEngine/Unity4. :p (I'm not sure trying to carry CryTek on your back would work)

Where are the tutorials for the newest version of CE3? I was curious if its UI has changed with its move over to a physically based system, but I can't find anything at all.

MegalomaniacWR

Neo Member
Its surprising how many people preferred Crysis & Warhead over Crysis 2 and 3. While I agree it went into a total different direction I had no fun at all playing Crysis despite being a huge Far Cry fan. Truly Crysis was just a Far Cry clone with the Nanosuit and I didnt like the Nanosuit in Crysis. Crysis 2 was again a totally different game but it had the right pace and was very enjoyable to mind. Crysis 3 was not really well executed - I agree.

About Cry Engine I wouldnt agree. The engine didnt make serious progress in the last 3 years. They had a hard time cleaning up the code to support X360 and PS3. Now Unreal4 is at a similar level in terms of rendering and definitely the better and more complete package. Epic also gives much better deals and with the subscription model there are anyways just two engines to consider - Unreal 4 and Unity depending on what you really need.

I actually thought Crytek were still making Far Cry until I checked which games they've made.

Wow they've really gone down hill since they moved away from PC.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You all seem to forget that they ported Crysis 1 to last gen after Crysis 2 IIRC, so that sort of game would have absolutely been possible on the additional platforms providing additional profit. They changed their vision and we all can only speculate why, but consoles aren't to blame.

Again that clearly took a long time and wasn't easy, and the whole essence of what made games like far cry and Crysis successful was making the ultimate sandbox using the latest tech (physics,AI scale and graphical techniques etc) and pushing the higher end of pc's. That's where the great gameplay game from, they gave you a sandbox unlike anywhere else There's a reason why they changed focus with 2 and 3 because last gen console really don't go hand in hand with that and it clearly took significant work for them to get it the first one last gen. Linear fps clearly aren't their forte.

They went with small more linear design because those sorts of games are what work best with the last gen consoles that had significant bottlenecks.

Also I'm not sure you realise but Crysis was an extremely scaleable game the difference between low and ultra was outstanding and not simply because of graphics but physics destructibility etc.

dLMN8R

I've been saying for years that Cevat Yerli is one of the most idiotic CEOs to ever grace the gaming scene. He took what was an amazing PC track record, with profitable games despite marketing them terribly, and squandered every bit of it because of stupid unrealistic expectations, misplaced blame for a lack of the success they thought they deserved, and shambled toward crappy console and free-to-play games because they were the latest trends Cevat thought would bring them immediate success instead of just focusing on what they were good at.

Haunted

• Too many employees, burn-rate too high (3-5 M euro).
  • Big publishers are not interested in buying outright,would rather wait for bankruptcy, sign the talent and shop the IPs.
I believe it.

antonz

Who would have thought making a F2p game with a one country audience would not be a massive success.

Seriously if you are going to make a limited audience f2p it better be some huge IP or something because otherwise its a waste of cash

Pimpbaa

How could they not give the source code to those who license their engine? I mean, a lot of developers like to modify the engines they get to suit their needs (sometimes to the point where it almost/completely becomes their own developed engine).

DieH@rd

Banned
Kudos to Razyl, here's the info from the article:

*Information is from a half dozen independent sources, according to Yerli "dramatized rumors" from disgruntled ex-employees
*Salaries are paid late and leading employees are sending applications to other studios at home and abroad
*Warface doesn't work outside of Russia, other attempts at F2P were unsuccessful
*G-face was a flop
*The development of Ryse was catastrophic: mere months before release, the title was severely behind, only with additional manpower they were able to finish it
*Disagreements with MS over the ownership of Ryse's IP could be a red flag for other publishers
*Adoption of CryEngine not going as planned, word-of-mouth at GDC was negative
*Subscription system on Steam was a reactive move, with an opaque licensing model
*Too many employees, burn-rate too high (3-5 M euro)
*"The vultures are already circling," says a leading representative for a major publisher
*Big publishers are not interested in buying outright,would rather wait for bankruptcy, sign the talent and shop the IPs
*Belarusian Free2Play giant Wargaming is listed as a possible buyer of Crytek
*Avni Yerli says a cash injection for the company is finally imminent. The contract has not been signed yet, but is as good as in the bag. "It's not all great. Our transition to Free2Play studio was not painless. But that is now behind us" he concludes

No documentation,
barely any tutorials,
no source,

..... :(

My tradition is that every time I upgrade hardware I always first play through Crysis 1. Such an awesome game.

Shame that Crytek managed to fuck everything up after it. C2 is enjoyable game, but way different than what everyone wanted. Everyone wanted Crytek to create Far Cry 3 in beautiful CryEngine. Instead they went more and more into corridor shooters and totally nonsensical storylines, culminating everything with fucking Ryse. Their only F2P effort was totally average Warface, which had competition from 1000000 other similar [and better] games.

They need to consolidate, stop messing around with F2P projects that will only give them small returns and very large risks. If nothing else, they need to go with the way of Platinum, and start making action games for other companies. Homefront 2 is a good start in that direction, game looks good and has a great potential. Lets hope that they will not fuck up the story just like with C2/C3.

BPoole

I'm sad to hear this. Despite many critics of Crytek, I really enjoy their games. Crysis 2&3 weren't as good as 1, but they were still fun in their own right

Armaros

No documentation,
barely any tutorials,
no source,

So it's basiclly a engine that you normally only use in-house since he developers would be the only ones that can use it properly.

And they want to sell it to others to use it without proper "we want of license this out" usability passover.

Top Bottom