• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTP| The Salt Smut Only Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give him a copy of food wars!
BrZhKi1CcAEhYyv.jpg

I wish I had a copy right now instead of having to wait until August :/

Stealth Symphony 18

Jig got all crazy memorable panel due to the words and darkening.

With this slowed down pacing, imo, it feels rather refreshing with its lush backstory. Kind of wanted a few more details on the universe traveling and magical/science information exchange going on, and clarification of the human dragon link?

kasane

I finished the second season of the anime today, it makes me want to read but Im trying to hold out for more anime, such a fantastic start to an arc but for it to be the final episode.

I must know what Li Mu is planning in the new alliance and more of my feixin unit.

Wait, kingdom has an anime? How is the animation and the gore?

fuuka 21

MISUNDERSTOOD BEST GIRL

Sublime got Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
SuBLime is proud to announce that we have acquired the English-language rights for all eight volumes of Shungiku Nakamura's famed Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi!

Our English title will be The World's Greatest First Love: The Case of Ritsu Onodera, and we will release volume one in print February 2015 (there are currently no digital rights available for this title). Subsequent releases will be every other month thereafter (bimonthly).

I always wanted it but the last time it was licensed the publisher shut down.

Aizo

Banned
I Am a Hero - Vol. 14 (Raw)
Some real weird shit happened in this volume.
All the big events happened last volume, like the change in Hideo and Tsugumi's relationship, Hitomi's return to Normalcy, etc. This was largely an action volume, with them driving through the city with Hideo shooting any zombies that ran up beside the car. Later, he gets a sniper rifle, and he really kicks some ass. I found the tone shift to be a bit jarring, though. I thought it was fun that they were looking for an onsen, but the idea that Hideo would take on all the zombies in the vicinity, just so they could bathe is ridiculous. I can't tell if the mangaka wanted to just show them naked that badly, or he wanted them to be separated when the next thing happened... Hmm..

On to the weirdest event, though: Hideo being eaten by a new, three eyed, fat abomination. So this ties into what was shown a bit last volume, with there being some weird connection between zombies, those with powers, and Kurusu. I have no idea what's going on, but while Hideo is in the stomach of the beast, he can see Kurusu's group, and Kurusu can see him. The gals then get dressed, and the monster jumps off the edge with them. Pretty damn weird.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Petite Peche 1-2

Really cute friendship story. A writer for a magazine finds a hole in the wall restaurant with a cook who has the eerie habit of giving her exactly what she craves or needs. Therefore, she tries to get to the bottom of things.

edit: by the author of Ouran High School Host Club apparently. I should read that one of these days.

Big One

Banned
Kingdom Vol 1 -10

So I finally got to this point, it took me a bit but I've been sick lately and haven't been felt up to reading much manga...anyway.

This has got to be legitimately some of the best shonen I've read in years. Yes I realized it's published in Young Jump, a seinen publication, so technically it isn't shonen, but keep in mind I'm not trying to insult the series, but rather praise it for it's unique element.

The story is simple. Characters have simple, clear, and concise goals, however they also develop as the story goes on. The world and setting feels very genuine and real, being one of the more detailed and well-built settings in a manga in a long time.

The action is clear and concise, and while brutal is very elegantly done. The battles with all it's gore and violence is very tastefully done in execution which I appreciate it for.

But to get back on my shonen point, the reason why I classify this as more of a shonen manga is because of the main character, Shin. Shin is pretty much your typical shonen protagonist, for better or worse. Now I can see why some people would complain about Shin being able to kill these experienced warriors in a setting that's otherwise somewhat realistic, which I get irritated at times myself, however if you keep in mind what Shin's role is in the story it isn't so bad. Shin is pretty much the archetypal hero, which many shonen protagonists fill the role in, however unlike most other shonen protagonists he actually develops over the course of the story that doesn't involve training arcs or upgraded weapons or upgraded powers. But rather, Shin sees the world around him, and his ideals and concepts of things change with time. Actually, all the characters in Kingdom are like that, which is a sign of a well-written manga imo.

In short, what's awesome about this manga...

+Art
+Character development
+Story
+Setting
+Action
-Tropes

It's very by the book, however it's execution is fantastic and is an overall well-made, well-written manga. A+

Revo

Liar Game 179

How completely expected.

Pandora Hearts 95

She was a thing? I guess she was a thing. And woo more Cheshire.

kasane

I Am a Hero - Vol. 14 (Raw)
Some real weird shit happened in this volume.
All the big events happened last volume, like the change in Hideo and Tsugumi's relationship, Hitomi's return to Normalcy, etc. This was largely an action volume, with them driving through the city with Hideo shooting any zombies that ran up beside the car. Later, he gets a sniper rifle, and he really kicks some ass. I found the tone shift to be a bit jarring, though. I thought it was fun that they were looking for an onsen, but the idea that Hideo would take on all the zombies in the vicinity, just so they could bathe is ridiculous. I can't tell if the mangaka wanted to just show them naked that badly, or he wanted them to be separated when the next thing happened... Hmm..

On to the weirdest event, though: Hideo being eaten by a new, three eyed, fat abomination. So this ties into what was shown a bit last volume, with there being some weird connection between zombies, those with powers, and Kurusu. I have no idea what's going on, but while Hideo is in the stomach of the beast, he can see Kurusu's group, and Kurusu can see him. The gals then get dressed, and the monster jumps off the edge with them. Pretty damn weird.

so he will now get super powers too? how about the school girl ( forgot her name ) but the girl hideo is protecting. I think i read the part where he gets the sniper rifle.

Revo

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - "Be Mine, Hero!" "I Refuse!" 33

Woo Roads! Go Dragon Princess! Show him who is boss.

Adventure of Sinbad 28a

Drakon just be buddy buddy already

Rhapsody

Banned
I guess I'll be picking up Kingdom soon then after AX or something.

So I decided to read Hozuki-san Chi no Aneki + Imouto, and what happened to this manga?

This manga just threw logic out the door compared to its prequel. The personalities are all different and the situations are crazy now. Plus I almost feel like the art started shifting to this Danganronpa style for the girls. Guess with everything tied up with the story and theme, they had nowhere else to go.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Pandora Hearts

Really not sure how they're going to wrap this up in a few chapters. I mean... there's only what... 3 more chapters to go probably? And that's probably 3 chapters MAX. Well... I guess we'll see.

This chapter felt like not much happened. It felt like a relative plot dump in regards to how Vincent is just someone who really doesn't know how to deal with himself. Not only that but what he wants and what he does is very contradictory and it ends up causing more problems than not. Oswald is a merciless bastard as usual and it makes sense considering the shit that went down so far. I'm predicting that Gilbert save Vincent but gives up his life in the process and Vincent will be the last Child of Ill Omen. Those who are dead will stay dead though. I doubt that we get a 100% happy ending.

KumaJG

Pandora Hearts

Really not sure how they're going to wrap this up in a few chapters. I mean... there's only what... 3 more chapters to go probably? And that's probably 3 chapters MAX. Well... I guess we'll see.

This chapter felt like not much happened. It felt like a relative plot dump in regards to how Vincent is just someone who really doesn't know how to deal with himself. Not only that but what he wants and what he does is very contradictory and it ends up causing more problems than not. Oswald is a merciless bastard as usual and it makes sense considering the shit that went down so far. I'm predicting that Gilbert save Vincent but gives up his life in the process and Vincent will be the last Child of Ill Omen. Those who are dead will stay dead though. I doubt that we get a 100% happy ending.

wait the series about to end?!?

Mortemis

Banned
Kingdom 393

Shin vs Gaimou better hurry the hell up. This whole battle arc lacks something, I don't know, I'm just not feeling it like I did with the past battles.

Kingdom is better read in burst. This week to week stuff shows how bad the pacing is.

This is too true. Those weeks when we got 5 chapters were best obviously, but one chapter is just too slow.

bigkrev

One Piece 65

Stabbing someone with a freaking trident through the chest doesn't kill them? OK....
Ready for this mostly useless arc to end, and hope that the next arc does a better job showing what has changed over the last 2 years.

One Piece 65

Stabbing someone with a freaking trident through the chest doesn't kill them? OK....
Ready for this mostly useless arc to end, and hope that the next arc does a better job showing what has changed over the last 2 years.

Thisisonepiece.jpg

And yes next arc is far better imo, despite a few problems.

kasane

One Piece 65

during your one piece reading journey, remember this

" the impossible is possible in the grand line "

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Spirit Circle 25
SHE CAME BACK FOR HIM?! :O

also this decline of the human race nonsense is over my head, but who cares about the plausibility of it I guess

Spirit Circle 25

She came back :eek:. Spirit Circle is definitely better when past arcs are read all at once.
Agreed. But I have 0 self-control when it comes to this manga, so I doubt I'd be able to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom